First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Suggest you do a forum search using words TazerJL and programmer and read all the threads that pop up. You'll find lots of info that will answer this question.
I’ll just ask the dealer? :)
Sponsored

DeadRabbit31

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Rubicon
Does anyone know if it’s possible to delete the 7 and 4 pin wiring harness and receiver hitch with this package. ? I only want this package for the auxiliary switches, alternator and battery. I will NEVER tow anything and will probably just removing as soon as I get it home ...

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I thought the switches were being offered as stand alone yet can only see them as included with towing. Dealer might be able to call the factory and ask. Last I built anything was the YJ and they would accommodate any special requests. Had to pick from available.

jamotn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT500,'15 Mustang GT, '14 Juke.'12 HD,'18 Indian Scout
Why do you need a bigger battery and alternator? All you're running is trailer lights, and if your trailer has LED lights like mine there is a negligible addition to draw on the system. The stock setup works great.

I'll also say that 95% of people aren't going to need the 7-pin plug either because at 2,000 to 3,500 lbs. of towing, you're never going to have anything big behind your Jeep.

If you REALLY need those aux switches to run additional lights, winch, air compressors, etc. then sure, I can see how maybe it would be cool to have that. But just from the basic standpoint of a towing package, $800 is insanity. The packages for 1-ton pickups aren't nearly that expensive and they give you a LOT more hardware for the money.
Agreed,I've hooked up many 4-pin pig tails. I always just tapped into the existing tail& brake wires. NEVER a problem.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Agreed,I've hooked up many 4-pin pig tails. I always just tapped into the existing tail& brake wires. NEVER a problem.
Yeah yeah.... try to do so with a JL ... you'll be hear crying the blues and saying how much effort it took to do the 4 pin install.

Sponsored

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
$800 is insanity. The packages for 1-ton pickups aren't nearly that expensive and they give you a LOT more hardware for the money.
Actually, you will find there is no option for most 1 ton pickups...hitch, 7 way, 4 pin, and HD cooling are standard.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Actually, you will find there is no option for most 1 ton pickups...hitch, 7 way, 4 pin, and HD cooling are standard.
Not on the ones I was pricing. There are usually multiple tow packages, and the ones that are close to what Jeep is charging include different spring packs, class IV hitch, trailer brake controller in the cabin, plug connections, trans coolers, different GVWR on the stickers for legality, towing app on the dash to track trailer mileage, and additional programming/buttons for transmission shifting.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
If anybody needs a drawtight hitch for JL or Jk and are around Denver or Fort Collins hit me up... i have a brand new spare one... $55. Install was easy on the JL with the one i kept.

Not sure if most would need the mopar package...being so overpriced. You can get a better hitch for under 100 bucks and add a aftermarket wiring kit for cheap.

Stronger Alternator sure isnt worth 1100 bucks.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
The Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Package added to my JL build cost me $795.00.

Personally, I think that price is not bad at all, considering what the package includes.

The package contents being listed as part of the build associated with the Vin# is a plus warranty wise and resale of vehicle wise.

I think anyone ordering a new JL/JLU that plans on towing would be making a mistake not to order the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Package.

owltown

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2L turbo
Vehicle Showcase
One way to check if you have the factory trailer option on the JL is to check under the dash (driver side outboard ) there should be a square white (?) plug there to accept a trailer brake. (pre-wired). If not there then the dealer did it, not the factory. The plug is way up there and taped to other wires.

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Package added to my JL build cost me $795.00.

Personally, I think that price is not bad at all, considering what the package includes
That’s $795 before dealing off MsRP, so it could be closer to $700’ish.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Why do you need a bigger battery and alternator? All you're running is trailer lights, and if your trailer has LED lights like mine there is a negligible addition to draw on the system. The stock setup works great.

I'll also say that 95% of people aren't going to need the 7-pin plug either because at 2,000 to 3,500 lbs. of towing, you're never going to have anything big behind your Jeep.

If you REALLY need those aux switches to run additional lights, winch, air compressors, etc. then sure, I can see how maybe it would be cool to have that. But just from the basic standpoint of a towing package, $800 is insanity. The packages for 1-ton pickups aren't nearly that expensive and they give you a LOT more hardware for the money.
I have to wonder why the JL 2-door only has a 2000 lb tow rating. It appears that the JL is the same length as the XJ and it had a 5000 lb tow rating (and less horsepower).

I don't think I've ever needed a 7-pin trailer socket. I did not order my JL with the trailer tow package. I figure I'll just install a receiver hitch myself. I don't tow often and I can get away without working lights on my trailer if I have to.

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
I just got the tow package installed at the dealer($1100). Online it says this includes an upgraded battery/alternator and the auxiliary switches. Well I picked it up today and no switches . Just wondering if anyone else has had this done. If so did you get the switches and do you have any idea how to double check the battery/alternator to see if it’s different.
I am in the same boat and going to get dealer installed wiring and hitch soon. From what I see all you get is wiring and hitch. Next time I will order everything on the build. lesson learned.

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought the switches were being offered as stand alone yet can only see them as included with towing. Dealer might be able to call the factory and ask. Last I built anything was the YJ and they would accommodate any special requests. Had to pick from available.
You can get the switches from Mopar. There are two versions, one for the Rubi with silver trim and one for all other trim levels.

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buying the "Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group" as an option on a new Jeep is not the same as buying a "tow package" as an accessory after purchasing. Jeep does not sell the "Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group" as an after purchase accessory package. You can buy all of the item individually, but it will be more expensive then the package. $1100 sounds about right for $450 (MSRP) worth of parts and all the labor it takes to install the wiring harness.
I got a printout from my dealer for just under $1000 total as you said including the $450 for parts. Not including the hitch.
Sponsored