Tow Package?

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I have been informed that the Tow Package for the JLUR includes a 240 amp alternator and the wiring harness automatically shuts off the rear parking/traffic sensor when plugged in.
Is the Package really worth about 5 times the cost of a standard add-on receiver and electric harness? My present vehicle has a manual on/off switch for shutting off the rear sensors when I tow.
A standard JLUR comes with a 220 amp alternator...is a step up to 240 amps worth paying an extra $400?
Sponsored

Farmdawg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
It also comes with the 4 aux switches prewired.

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Just saving time in wiring up a harness is worth it. If you're going to tow all the time, what's another $400 or 1% of the vehicle cost.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Is the Package really worth about 5 times the cost of a standard add-on receiver and electric harness?
Remember that its a lot more work to wiring up a 7-pin harness, than the ol' standard 4-pin used on the JK. So, one needs to factor all your extra time and frustration if you choose to do it yourself.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Remember that its a lot more work to wiring up a 7-pin harness, than the ol' standard 4-pin used on the JK. So, one needs to factor all your extra time and frustration if you choose to do it yourself.
While I agree on the JK, as I have done it many times myself and still have a spare 7pin kit I have left over which I didn’t feel the need to put on the A-X after getting rid of the trailer it was for; however, they might have updated the JL as it now defaults to 4/7 pin as part of the tow package, and not just 4-pin, so it might be just single plug & play option vs the current 2-point plug-in with the tail lights involved.

However, I would say that while the tow package on the JK became more costly than it was worth and so added it after the fact myself on the Rubi and A-X, the JL’s list is a little more extensive and depending on pricing ($400 is JK pricing I haven’t seen that confirmed for JL with all the goodies it gets) I could see the stock factory install possibly being cheaper than a 3rd party Mopar install after the fact.

I’d definitely be getting it next summer for my JLU, especially for all the added goodies like the AUX switches, stronger alternator and bigger battery (which is nice added confidence for cold weather far from a plug-in).

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Doesn't it also come with a brake controller?

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Myjeep

First Name
Patti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JL Sahara
Question about the tow package:
Is the brake controller wiring pulled through? Where is it? Is it plug and play with the right connector?
Thanks

Myjeep

First Name
Patti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JL Sahara
Thanks. I am just trying to find out what connector, if any, is on the end of the factory brake controller wire on the 7pin. I think the wire should be somewhere under the dash on the drivers side. I would look for it if I had the Jeep but I do not.

Sponsored

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks. I am just trying to find out what connector, if any, is on the end of the factory brake controller wire on the 7pin. I think the wire should be somewhere under the dash on the drivers side. I would look for it if I had the Jeep but I do not.
I posted a photo and location of the wire in that thread.

Myjeep

First Name
Patti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JL Sahara
Doesn't it also come with a brake controller?
No, brake controllers are user choice. I am hoping the wire is pulled through to the dash and accessible, requiring just a connector.

Bluegoose972

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Firecracker Red, 1966 Mustang Convertible (rebuilding)
Anyone tried programing these switches yet? Thought I saw a thread that you can program them for different functions, such as momentary vs constant on.

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I haven’t hooked up anything yet though you program them through uconnect.
Sponsored