First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
Occupation
Application engineer
I just got the tow package installed at the dealer($1100). Online it says this includes an upgraded battery/alternator and the auxiliary switches. Well I picked it up today and no switches . Just wondering if anyone else has had this done. If so did you get the switches and do you have any idea how to double check the battery/alternator to see if it’s different.
Sponsored

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I doubt you got anything other than the hitch and trailer wiring. I had ordered a 13 citadel with the trailer package and they left it off. I made them reorder one with the tow package. They tried to say they would add it. But all they were going to do was add he hitch and trailer wiring.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I just got the tow package installed at the dealer($1100). Online it says this includes an upgraded battery/alternator and the auxiliary switches. Well I picked it up today and no switches . Just wondering if anyone else has had this done. If so did you get the switches and do you have any idea how to double check the battery/alternator to see if it’s different.
Wow $1100 - only $750 upgrade if ordered. Sounds like they just installed hitch and wiring harness. Most likely didn’t change the alternator or battery - if they did it should be on your paperwork.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Undoubtedly, the dealer installed just the Mopar Hitch and the Tow Package wiring and no more. IF he replaced the alternator and battery, (seriously doubt they did) etc., it would have been noted on your paperwork from the service dept.

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Wow! I sure hope that $1,100 included some wet lube because the hitch itself is like $75 and 15 min to install. Although the harness would cost a little more.

As for the switches, they cost around $375 and doesn't include the programming to activate them.

Sponsored

Jeep=N+1

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU ruby, 2000 TJ Saraha, 97 TJ SE.
Bought a draw tight JK hitch, knocked off the two outer nuts and bolted it on. $53 on e-bay. The switch kit is a few hundred extra. The alternator is pointless, with only minimal increase in power. I made it a point not to order the tow pkg, and installed my hitch literally 30 min after I got home. Had a date with a mountain bike trail! But I won't be towing anything heavy with my JL. I have a 2500 ram diesel for that. For $1100, you better get more than a hitch and an alternator/battery.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Dealers seem to hate installing the 7 pin cable. There's a lot of little things that need to get done..and they charge for it.

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Buying the "Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group" as an option on a new Jeep is not the same as buying a "tow package" as an accessory after purchasing. Jeep does not sell the "Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group" as an after purchase accessory package. You can buy all of the item individually, but it will be more expensive then the package. $1100 sounds about right for $450 (MSRP) worth of parts and all the labor it takes to install the wiring harness.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
I had the dealer do my install, too. The installation is a several hours long process, so that's about right. There are a couple threads on here regarding the installation and the PITA that it is.

I got a discount for my parts, but my total was $1K...and no, no extra switches and alternator. Just two part numbers and the labor to do it. If I had known in advance what it would cost and the pain that it was, I would have NOT purchased this vehicle and instead waited for another to roll in with it preinstalled from the factory!

OP
OP
Travis whitmore
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
Occupation
Application engineer
I had the dealer do my install, too. The installation is a several hours long process, so that's about right. There are a couple threads on here regarding the installation and the PITA that it is.

I got a discount for my parts, but my total was $1K...and no, no extra switches and alternator. Just two part numbers and the labor to do it. If I had known in advance what it would cost and the pain that it was, I would have NOT purchased this vehicle and instead waited for another to roll in with it preinstalled from the factory!
Yeah this whole buying process has made me wish I just kept my pickup truck.

Sponsored

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
That's a lot of labor hours! I did the switches myself and saved the 300 something they were trying to charge me plus the reflash...4 wheels parts quoted me 150 but I still did it myself to save a few bucks...honestly it was easy with a helping hand in a step but the disconnecting and connecting some wires was the biggest pain...broke some pins and after ordered like 10 different pins finally found one that worked almost oem....you cant get around the reflash of the uconnect in case you do want to install them.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
The install for the hitch is, like, 10 minutes including time to open the beer. The wiring harness on the other hand, is the killer! I was going to do it myself, but just decided to let them do it. The harness has to run from the back, down the right side (interrior), through the firewall, and to the battery. In the process, all interior plastic on the right side, including subwoofer, has to be removed! You even have re-pin an existing plug in order for it to work properly. Oh, and yeah, have them flash the ECU to make the auto sway control work. A real PITA!!

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
If you just want a hitch and brake lights and don’t need sway control are there any easier and cheaper options?

Any harness that would just feed off the jeeps tail lights?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Accidental duplicate. My bad.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Hook, line, and sinker.

Guys, you can go to etrailer.com and buy a hitch and 4-pin wiring for $150 delivered to your house.

The hitch is a 5 minute job and the wiring is a Saturday morning at the most.

As far as batteries they're all the same. As far as alternators, you can buy the 220 or 240 amp alternators from rockauto.com for a little over $200 bucks....but mine is totally fine with the 180 or 220 unit that comes on the Sport...whatever it is.

Don't let dealerships rape you. The more successful FCA is at overcharging for this stuff, the worse it's going to get for us!
Sponsored