Sponsored

Topless Trek?

Mal Random

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
I'm planning a 4 day road trip in a few weeks, and my wife is trying to convince me that we need to leave the top behind. Unfortunately we only have the hard top, and a soft top isn't really in the cards right now..

Assuming the weather looks okay, how insane would we be to go for it and just bring a tarp for emergencies? Has anyone ever done that? Do you have some suggestions?
Sponsored

Zukoda

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Lots of other factors - where will you be stopping for the night(s)? Plans to leave Jeep parked somewhere unattended for extended periods of time? Plans to do any shopping (and thus have purchases in Jeep)? Weather - provided the forecast is good - would be a minor concern of mine.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
You have an adventorous wife. I wish mine would want that. I would love to do this. Lots of people go on road trips with their motorcycles. So it is doable for sure. Comfy? doubt it. But def. sounds fun.

Baconator

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
As long as your not parking overnight in a city or something, you should be fine. Maybe get a bimini/bikini top to keep the sun managed.

It's only a question of comfort and security, which only you can answer.

Sponsored

KPersCO

First Name
KP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon, '13 WRX Wagon
Occupation
Engineer
The amount of traffic you'll be sitting in could certainly play a factor and the main reason I always run a bikini all summer. Baking in the sun with no air flow is no fun

OP
OP
Mal Random

Mal Random

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions!

huh, those look interesting. I hadn't seen them before, thanks!

Lots of other factors - where will you be stopping for the night(s)? Plans to leave Jeep parked somewhere unattended for extended periods of time? Plans to do any shopping (and thus have purchases in Jeep)? Weather - provided the forecast is good - would be a minor concern of mine.
Thanks for the good questions to think about. I think we're focusing on experiences, rather than shopping (thankfully! budget will be mostly places to stay and gas) The weather is my biggest concern, and we won't know what that's like until the day gets closer...

You have an adventorous wife. I wish mine would want that. I would love to do this. Lots of people go on road trips with their motorcycles. So it is doable for sure. Comfy? doubt it. But def. sounds fun.
It's funny, I have wanted to road trip forever - I had driven my Miata 300+ miles in a day pretty regularly when work allowed, but she refused to go with me and didn't want to road trip... but the moment we got the Jeep, she's super excited to go and loves to go topless (and prefers naked)

As long as your not parking overnight in a city or something, you should be fine. Maybe get a bimini/bikini top to keep the sun managed.

It's only a question of comfort and security, which only you can answer.
For me, I am not worried about comfort and security - I find the Jeep to be more comfortable than my Miata was as far as buffeting and noise. I will def. look into the bimini/bikini - that is probably in the budget and would help with exposure.

The amount of traffic you'll be sitting in could certainly play a factor and the main reason I always run a bikini all summer. Baking in the sun with no air flow is no fun
Yeah, for sure.. we're aiming at back roads so we shouldn't be in traffic too much, but I will look into something like that. I know from my Miata that spending a few hours in the heat and wind can wear you down, so that'll help for sure.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
No different than riding a motorcycle….except you to protect the electronics from rain. Seems to me like you should be searching for a soft top…eventually.

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Get a bikini top and call it a day. It can make a huge difference while still giving you the open top feeling. I have a mesh one from rugged ridge that fits into a nice little carry pouch and a canvas one from Rampage Products that does an amazing job of cutting down the wind inside. The rampage one has a metal front bar that mounts to the top of the windshield frame so it just rolls up when not in use but is still about as wide as the windshield so not as compact when not in use.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
....................my wife is trying to convince me that we need to leave the top behind...
We know it never rains in Camelot nor Southern California.

However, watch out for the overnight dew!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mal Random

Mal Random

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Get a bikini top and call it a day. It can make a huge difference while still giving you the open top feeling. I have a mesh one from rugged ridge that fits into a nice little carry pouch and a canvas one from Rampage Products that does an amazing job of cutting down the wind inside. The rampage one has a metal front bar that mounts to the top of the windshield frame so it just rolls up when not in use but is still about as wide as the windshield so not as compact when not in use.
I think that's my plan for now - get a bikini top and keep an eye on the weather.

I definitely want to get a soft top eventually, but they seem in short supply for the 2 door right now (and I really can't justify the expense at the moment).

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Just buy the Bestop Sunrider and you will have the best of both worlds. Done.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
No different than riding a motorcycle….except you to protect the electronics from rain.
Motorcycles have plenty of electronics as well, see the Honda Goldwing. Is the Jeep is water tight as a motorcycle? I'm not sure but so far mine has survived some good rainstorms without any electronic issues.

I will say, for @Mal Random, if you do this trip you should know that the bottom portion of the center console is not water tight. Water seems to get in, quite fast, by the hinge. That water then pools and collects at the bottom of the center console. In a significant rain event it collects a surprisingly large amount of water. The top part hasn't leaked on me, only the bottom part. I have the OCD organizer tray in the center console and the back portion of that also collected water.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

alien shade is a forum sponsor. I have there freedom panel sun shade and i love it. It was one of the first things i got after going topless and getting sunburnt LOL. i dont see weather being an issue as long as you cover the dash. IMO jeep says every things water resistant and a lot of members have been cough in storms without there tops. Biggest thing is to remember to remove the floor pan drain plug if water gets in
Sponsored