Sponsored

Tire size setting change

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I am more concerned how the gear changes will be affected with the slightly bigger tyres.

the Tazer is a great product to have but most of its features is not relevant to the right hand drive JL in South Africa.
You might contact Tazer and see what they say regarding that model, I've heard they have good customer service and may be able to clarify what will and what won't work on your RHD. Worth a shot!
Sponsored

OP
OP
SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
I do not have much faith in the aftermarket OBD units, simply because how software functions (Updates and releases).

One would install the aftermarket unit with let's say the latest software (Driver) version. You would then unmarry the unit (Taking an in warranty vehicle for a service) and at the dealership when they do the service and updates, the software of the Jeep's ECU's changed.

Back home you plug your aftermarket unit back in, only to find intermittent problems/gremlins popping up.

It would be great if the aftermarket unit such as the Tazer can warn you that it needs to be updated because it detected the Jeep's software was updated.

You know the basic "Update drivers" scenario in the software/hardware compatibility world.

Then there is still the battery drain concern when leaving these aftermarket units plugged in.

I am only interested to change the TPMS limits and tire sizes. The rest of the functions is either outside of the vehicles reccommended operating environment or simply just bling (Light show, etc).

Function over Form for me.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I love how we have members from all over the globe!

If you are against programmers, your only choice is to ask the dealer to reprogram ur Jeep for your tire new size. But with such a small increase (<1”) in tire diameter, is really isn’t that necessary to make the change as much as it would be if you went from say a 33 to a 37.

OP
OP
SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went to to the dealer yesterday to change the tire size and guess what they told me...

According to the dealer the wheel sensors picks up the change in the rpm per mile of the tires and sets the size automatically.

I must say the logic makes sense, would be a great feature if it were true. But, I do not buy their story so I am afraid I might have no choice but to get the Tazer after all. (Maybe the Lite and not the Mini).

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

According to the dealer the wheel sensors picks up the change in the rpm per mile of the tires and sets the size automatically.
Whomever told you that should be fired.

I must say the logic makes sense, would be a great feature if it were true. But, I do not buy their story so I am afraid I might have no choice but to get the Tazer after all. (Maybe the Lite and not the Mini).
You may want to save some money and get the OBD JSCAN app, an OBD reader and security bypass cables.

http://jscan.net/

http://jscan.net/supported-and-not-supported-obd-adapters/

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Actually they are right the jeep will relearn the shift points when it notices the RPM changes. It’s on one of the threads on the forum. All that the dealership is doing is updating your jeeps ECM to reflect the new tire size so that your speedo and mileage is accurate. In addition they make note on the VIN that changes have been made to your jeep.

OP
OP
SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually they are right the jeep will relearn the shift points when it notices the RPM changes. It’s on one of the threads on the forum. All that the dealership is doing is updating your jeeps ECM to reflect the new tire size so that your speedo and mileage is accurate. In addition they make note on the VIN that changes have been made to your jeep.
So the transmission will self adjust over a short period of time while driving and one can then just use a Tazer to update the settings to get the speedo and milage corrected?