Sponsored

Tire size/rubbing/handling

Nivek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
After everyone was so helpful before on what I should or shouldn't do with my wifes jeep I thought I would give an update on my situation also ask another question. So I have successfully talked her out of an angry eye grille. Had to go through 3 of them each being progressively less "angry". Right now she is really wanting the wheels and tires. From everyones help before I have suggested to her 35" tires and stay with the 17x9 factory rim size. My question is will there be rubbing or handling issues with this setup? If so is there a good offset for the wheel that will take care of it? Will a spacer lift be needed or help/hurt handling. We are looking at bfg 35/12.5/17 as the tires and she wants a set of the fuel wheels I think the assaults. But any assistance you could give I would really appreciate. We do not have a ton of extra cash so I am hoping to do all of this once and not have to chase a bunch of issues down the line. I realize that the speedo will need to be calibrated and probably alignment done but any other suggestions would help. Thank you so much for any help.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Nivek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
I forgot to add its a 2018 rubicon unlimited. Thanks

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If you don't plan to lift the Rubicon you can get by w/ a positive offset wheel, I would look at something in the +10 to +25 offset range to keep tire poke to a minimum. If you plan for a mild lift then a zero to -12 offset would be better. If you plan to run no bigger than a 35 you should be fine w/ stock suspension, but I would strongly consider the longer mopar lift LCAs to get your caster where it should have been from the start (in the 6 degree range) and a shock replacement eventually.
Here's my info on the LCA install if you are a DIY guy :) and FWIW getting that caster in the 6 degree range will make your Rubicon track much better at highway speeds, a HUGE upgrade!!!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/#post-919317

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Factory OEM wheels are 17x7.5. You can put a 12.5 tire on but you will rub on the front left at full lock. You can put a mild spacer on, but I personally do not like spacers. I'd just find a nice 9" width wheel with about a -38 offset. Problem solved, no lift required.

WaX
Sponsored