Tire size restrictions on beaches

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Interesting fact i just found out. Where I am in NY, county beaches have no size limit but state beaches tires max size is 33". I looked into driving permits in other areas and it's even less in size.
Wonder why? So If you go for 35s or bigger you can be restricted in some areas.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Seems counter intuitive. Should be a minimum size. A larger diameter tire will ride higher and not create as deep a rut for the same weight vehicle.

It has to do with the "entry angle" of the front of the tire into the sand/dirt. The shallower that angle, the less it plows, allowing better steering and riding up on the surface. Wider has a similar effect, but diameter has more effect.

That's why dirt bikes went to larger front wheels decades ago. I recall the Honda "skunk works" doing these tests because my friend made the test rig for the instrumentation.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Seems counter intuitive. Should be a minimum size. A larger diameter tire will ride higher and not create as deep a rut for the same weight vehicle.

It has to do with the "entry angle" of the front of the tire into the sand/dirt. The shallower that angle, the less it plows, allowing better steering and riding up on the surface. Wider has a similar effect, but diameter has more effect.

That's why dirt bikes went to larger front wheels decades ago. I recall the Honda "skunk works" doing these tests because my friend made the test rig for the instrumentation.
I agree. The larger the tire, the more flotation. The more flotation, the less time you spend digging your Jeep out. The less you dig, the less environmental damage you do. It's a no-brainer.

Well, to those who have brains. Obviously the folks sitting in a room passing these ordinances don't even own Jeeps.

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
When it comes to beach driving street tires are better then ATs or MTs.. You want to ā€œfloatā€ over the sand as much as possible. You donā€™t want to dig into the sand as an AT or MT would, especially a heavier one like 33s+. Beach driving is one area where a completely stock Jeep, especially a 2 door will do better then a modded or lifted Jeep performance wise.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting fact i just found out. Where I am in NY, county beaches have no size limit but state beaches tires max size is 33". I looked into driving permits in other areas and it's even less in size.
Wonder why? So If you go for 35s or bigger you can be restricted in some areas.
I had the State Permit, when applying for the permit they never check for any of the stuff they're supposed to. I used to bring all of my gear for the first 5 years and then stopped unless I was going right out to the beach. I have never had them check my tire size at the gate to Democrat Point, nor have I ever had a problem when the DEC comes around checking for permits. 8 years running 35's on the beach with no issues. Not saying you wont get any trouble, just saying I never have.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
When it comes to beach driving street tires are better then ATs or MTs.. You want to ā€œfloatā€ over the sand as much as possible. You donā€™t want to dig into the sand as an AT or MT would, especially a heavier one like 33s+. Beach driving is one area where a completely stock Jeep, especially a 2 door will do better then a modded or lifted Jeep performance wise.
Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me!

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the State Permit, when applying for the permit they never check for any of the stuff they're supposed to. I used to bring all of my gear for the first 5 years and then stopped unless I was going right out to the beach. I have never had them check my tire size at the gate to Democrat Point, nor have I ever had a problem when the DEC comes around checking for permits. 8 years running 35's on the beach with no issues. Not saying you wont get any trouble, just saying I never have.
I always go to cupsogue ur but would like to try Democrat. Iā€™ll get the permit anyway. Iā€™m think I have to wait until the day after labor day.
Nice rig. I see you have a manual like me. You regeared on those 35s or no?

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I always go to cupsogue ur but would like to try Democrat. Iā€™ll get the permit anyway. Iā€™m think I have to wait until the day after labor day.
Nice rig. I see you have a manual like me. You regeared on those 35s or no?
No regear on this one yet. My old JK had 513's, best upgrade ever. WIth the manual I don't feel enough of a need with 35's. If I go up to 38's then definitely. FYI, Democrat Point has an air station at the exit/entrance so no need for a compressor if you go there.

Sponsored

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No regear on this one yet. My old JK had 513's, best upgrade ever. WIth the manual I don't feel enough of a need with 35's. If I go up to 38's then definitely. FYI, Democrat Point has an air station at the exit/entrance so no need for a compressor if you go there.
Cupsogue does too I think.
Good to know in case I forder my Viair 450 that hubby bought me for me. Heā€™s happy he has a lady who would rather have Jeep stuff than jewelry!

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like your wheels. What are they?

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
:lipssealed: Wow thatā€™s crazy! Never would have thought that. Grew up on Tx beaches driving the beaches and dunes in Jeeps and never any tire restrictions. :jk:
Sponsored