Tire idiot light on!!!!

cgpratt

First Name
tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 jk sahara, 18 sport s jl
Ok, put new tires and wheels on- 315 70r17 cooper Stt pro on fuel 17 hostage rims. 2 of the tpms have been hit or miss. (just have lines and do not show pressure). Have been going back to the place I got them from. Because the jl is so new their computer only went to '17. Fast forward 2 weeks. Yesterday they got the update. Drove a while and all 4 tires no light. Sweet!!!! Wrong after about 15 miles light came back on, figured a sensor isn't reading again. Nope all tires show pressure. One other thing tie shop said run the coolers at 48 psi. I tried lowering to 38 and the pressure showed sometimes . almost like the sensors didn't like the higher pressure. So I'm at a loss. Anyone have suggestions? Would rather not go to dealer, there service guy told me you shouldn't put bigger tires on a jeep!!!
Sponsored

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
Buy a superchips flash cal and turn the dam tpms off and be done.

OP
OP

cgpratt

First Name
tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm thinking tazer, but I have a sport and not sure if it's worth the extra money for the sport s

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
Either one will turn off the TPMS or allow you to turn down the setting.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Unless those tires are LOAD RANGE "E", you should run them at 32/34 psi-

the TPMS system will "ADJUST" after X miles and the ride will be MUCH BETTER !

W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Ok, put new tires and wheels on- 315 70r17 cooper Stt pro on fuel 17 hostage rims. 2 of the tpms have been hit or miss. (just have lines and do not show pressure). Have been going back to the place I got them from. Because the jl is so new their computer only went to '17. Fast forward 2 weeks. Yesterday they got the update. Drove a while and all 4 tires no light. Sweet!!!! Wrong after about 15 miles light came back on, figured a sensor isn't reading again. Nope all tires show pressure. One other thing tie shop said run the coolers at 48 psi. I tried lowering to 38 and the pressure showed sometimes . almost like the sensors didn't like the higher pressure. So I'm at a loss. Anyone have suggestions? Would rather not go to dealer, there service guy told me you shouldn't put bigger tires on a jeep!!!
I have the flashcal and have my threshold set at 25psi - I think the OEM pressure threshold was 32psi (can’t remember for sure). I run my ridge Grapplers at 31psi - for the size tire you are running for daily driving you should be in the 30-34 range (look up threads on chalk test). Sounds to me like there is something wrong with the sensors or computer if you are running above 32 and still getting a low tire pressure warning.

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
OEM sensors from OEM wheels ? or aftermarket sensors?

OP
OP

cgpratt

First Name
tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ome sensors

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
If your sensors are randomly freaking out, its possible they're damaged. Any tire pressure or orientation changes should be detected in less than a mile. Regardless of such, PSI above 40 is unnecessary.

OP
OP

cgpratt

First Name
tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They tire shop is saying the cooper Stt pro has 10 ply sidewall and needs at least 45

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
They tire shop is saying the cooper Stt pro has 10 ply sidewall and needs at least 45
Nope - all depends on the load the tires are seeing - compared to other vehicles that run a tire line this Jeeps are relatively light and won’t see the same payload - to get the best ride/tire wear if your not sure what pressure to run you need to do a chalk test - it is fairly quick and will tell you what PSI your Jeep likes.

OP
OP

cgpratt

First Name
tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless those tires are LOAD RANGE "E", you should run them at 32/34 psi-

the TPMS system will "ADJUST" after X miles and the ride will be MUCH BETTER !

W.E.

JIMBO
Mine are e. I just did chalk I have them at 34 and they seem to be able to go lower

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
I'm thinking tazer, but I have a sport and not sure if it's worth the extra money for the sport s
I have the Tazer and absolutely love it. There is just so much you can do with it. Well worth the money.

Hope you get it figured out!

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Mine are e. I just did chalk I have them at 34 and they seem to be able to go lower
I ran my 37" E-Rated coopers at 25-27psi. There are equations you can use to determine approx how much pressure you should run as well as the chalk test you have already done. The equations showed I should be running 27psi in my fully loaded Jeep(with passengers gear etc.) At that pressure with only me in it the rears were still not riding flat, but the front was pretty close according to the chalk test.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I’m running 36# with aftermarket sensors on 315/70R17’s and all pressures are reading but idiot light is on, local shop scanned all the sensors and they are reading but idiot light is like the demon in the closet and won’t go out, they advised the sensors may not be playing nice with whatever they send the signal to, Taser is in the mail and when it comes in my thought is to turn it off and then back on and see if it resets and will also lower the alarm limits down
Sponsored