Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
@YFD_322

I know first hand that it does... It is just like the other's... if you change mode while actively working the gas pedal, there is a good chance (no always) that your JL/JT will throw a code and the JL/JT will go into limp mode.

When this happens, you have to stop and turn off the JL/JT. You then clear the code (you must have a Scan Tool and a security bypass module to do the deed) and then when you start up the vehicle, all is aok again.

This code thrown and limp mode is no big deal.. Just don't change modes while actively engaging the gas pedal. You do that and there is a chance of code and limp...
I agree with Rhinebeck01. These devices are basically the same. The only clear differentiation (other than "packaging") is that the Banks hooks up via the OBD, and the Pedal Commander (and a few others) uses Bluetooth. Other than that, I'd choose via price and reviews. I wanted the Bluetooth feature.

p.s. After the first few days the limp home danger is not an issue - you'll have found the setting you like, and you'll set it and forget it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Throttle enhancers pedalmonster_matrix
Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I just installed the hikeit X9 on my auto 3.6 JLU a few weeks back. Night and day difference. I set it to auto right now and just drive and it adapts to your style at that moment. I haven’t tried the hikeit mode because every thing I’ve read and heard is to do it in an empty lot. I actually see 8th gear more than I used to also which surprised me. I spent $184 with an additional faceplate with the discount code.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just installed the hikeit X9 on my auto 3.6 JLU a few weeks back. Night and day difference. I set it to auto right now and just drive and it adapts to your style at that moment. I haven’t tried the hikeit mode because every thing I’ve read and heard is to do it in an empty lot. I actually see 8th gear more than I used to also which surprised me. I spent $184 with an additional faceplate with the discount code.
I wonder why Hikeit doesn't show up on the chart I posted? Are they new? Or, maybe they are known by another brand name and are on the chart under that heading? Seems like everyone, and their dog, is on that chart.

BTW, in case you didn't guess, Banks created that chart.

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Just ordered the idrive. What are you guys running? I’m thinking for the idrive. U8. I just want it there all the time. I mean I’m not sure of the learning mode. Also can someone put up links to the tools one needs if they throw a CEL? Thanks !!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Regarding the code being thrown and the JL/JT going into Limp Mode, I have mentioned and that is being tossed about in posts here...

You will not have an issue ... throw a code or go into limp mode if you just come to a stop, leave engine running and with foot off the gas pedal, change the mode with whatever brand throttle controller you own.

Also, when you go to do the install of any throttle controller, turn off your JL/JT.. now open the driver's door and take both of your fobs far far away, so there is absolutely no chance the JL will be in range of them. Wait say 15 min. and then install your throttle controller.

Caution: When installing you throttle controller, when you disconnect the connector to do the install, do NOT pull on the wires.. the wires can possibly be pulled out if you tug on them. I just helped a guy here the other night that pulled out a wire when attempting to do the install of a throttle controller..

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just ordered the idrive. What are you guys running? I’m thinking for the idrive. U8. I just want it there all the time. I mean I’m not sure of the learning mode. Also can someone put up links to the tools one needs if they throw a CEL? Thanks !!
@YFD_322

To clear a code, you need a Scan Tool and a security gateway bypass.

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Regarding the code being thrown and the JL/JT going into Limp Mode, I have mentioned and that is being tossed about in posts here...

You will not have an issue ... throw a code or go into limp mode if you just come to a stop, leave engine running and with foot off the gas pedal, change the mode with whatever brand throttle controller you own.

Also, when you go to do the install of any throttle controller, turn off your JL/JT.. now open the driver's door and take both of your fobs far far away, so there is absolutely no chance the JL will be in range of them. Wait say 15 min. and then install your throttle controller.

Caution: When installing you throttle controller, when you disconnect the connector to do the install, do NOT pull on the wires.. the wires can possibly be pulled out if you tug on them. I just helped a guy here the other night that pulled out a wire when attempting to do the install of a throttle controller..
thanks good info. There’s a ton of install videos. I see a couple people use a small Flathead screwdriver to pry the red tab.

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Security gateway bypass???

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Security gateway bypass???
@YFD_322

The JL/JT has a security gateway.. You need use a security gateway bypass of some sort, along with the Scan Tool or your Scan Tool cannot do it's deed.... clear codes.

You can buy a bypass module from ZAutomotive ($60+)

You can buy a FCA 12+8 Universal Adapter Cable Adapter on Amazon for $20+ that does the same deed/ bypass.

The Tazer JL Mini and Lite have a built in bypass module, The Tazer JL can clear codes on it's own.
Also, if you have a Tazer JL Mini or Lite installed your Scan Tool hooked up to the OBDII port will work.. will read and clear codes.

Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I wonder why Hikeit doesn't show up on the chart I posted? Are they new? Or, maybe they are known by another brand name and are on the chart under that heading? Seems like everyone, and their dog, is on that chart.

BTW, in case you didn't guess, Banks created that chart.
I think they are fairly new like within the last 2 years. When I was doing my research I couldn’t find any reviews from before 2019.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok just not sure how the whole thing goes together. So can the tazer mini installed alone clear codes? Or does the scan tool plus the 12+8 do the job?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MZZZJBM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_WQ7KZ9ARWZC8XH609D0P
@YFD_322
Both the Tazer JL Mini and the Tazer JL Lite, have a security bypass module built right into them.... so... YES, the TazerJL Mini or Lite per ZAutomotive, does ..... " Display DTCs – display Diagnostic Trouble Codes to see why the Check Engine light may be on.• Clear CELs – reset check engine light and DTC codes "
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/bypass-module/

And.... with a known to work with JL/JT, OBDII Scan too,l plus the 12+8, you can do the same...
" Display DTCs – display Diagnostic Trouble Codes to see why the Check Engine light may be on.• Clear CELs – reset check engine light and DTC codes "

Also, as I mentioned earlier, ZAutomotive sells a dedicated, security bypass module. With this bypass module hooked up, and a Scan Tool, you can also:
" Display DTCs – display Diagnostic Trouble Codes to see why the Check Engine light may be on.• Clear CELs – reset check engine light and DTC codes "
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/bypass-module/

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is definitely the safest advice. That said, I've been guilty of changing modes on the fly, but without touching the accelerator, and there were no problems.

In any case, fence-sitters have no reason to worry. Given that you're cautioned (there really is just the one no no), it's hard to mess up. And...even if, the codes are easily cleared.

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Yes codes are easily cleared but without spending the money and the correct tools in hand and if you throw a code on the way to work the headaches far outweigh the unit while you’re on the side of a highway at 7 am in limp mode.

Here’s what I’m asking with this module and the scan tool and the adapter, etc. are the security modules plugged in all the time? and if they are plugged in all the time does the scan tool hook up into that module or another port? I have plugged in a scan tool many times into the port underneath the dash to read codes before but is it all plugged into the same port with the security module plugged in first or is there another connection.

i’m going to plug in the throttle adapter set it and forget it but I just want the information in case somehow a code gets thrown and I’m fighting to get the car back to working ability.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes codes are easily cleared but without spending the money and the correct tools in hand and if you throw a code on the way to work the headaches far outweigh the unit while you’re on the side of a highway at 7 am in limp mode.

Here’s what I’m asking with this module and the scan tool and the adapter, etc. are the security modules plugged in all the time? and if they are plugged in all the time does the scan tool hook up into that module or another port? I have plugged in a scan tool many times into the port underneath the dash to read codes before but is it all plugged into the same port with the security module plugged in first or is there another connection.

i’m going to plug in the throttle adapter set it and forget it but I just want the information in case somehow a code gets thrown and I’m fighting to get the car back to working ability.
I understand your point about limp home mode, but I suspect that the code-throwing is a rare thing. Every YouTube video and manufacturers' instructions specifically point out the don't-touch-the-throttle. It is so easy to avoid that situation that it's akin to touching a stove burner even though you've seen it's glowing red - I guess some people still do it, but not many.

So the question is: do you think that you can avoid the hot burner now that you are forewarned? I don't think you need to worry about this. And after the first 48 hours, you'll hardly ever interface with it at all in any case.
Sponsored