Throttle enhancers

ArielPR

First Name
Zed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Does the use of a Pedal Commander will leave codes for the dealers to find and refuse warranty?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Does the use of a Pedal Commander will leave codes for the dealers to find and refuse warranty?
@ArielPR

I know for a fact the Pedal Commander is not picked up / seen by the dealership's wiTech ll computer, that the tech connects the JL/JT with. There is no tell tale track record so to speak either.

Now, if you trigger a code with any throttle controller, and the tech sees there is a throttle related/code thrown, he won't know if it was an aftermarket throttle controller... but he may go poking around and discover the aftermarket throttle controller hooked up.... Now, you may have an issue .... For this reason, it is prudent to remove the throttle controller when you take the vehicle in for a code you caused to be thrown by incorrect use of your throttle controller.

In general it is probably best to remove the throttle controller if the JL is going in say for more then an oil change.. Only takes about 5 min to remove..

IF, you throw a code and take the JL into the dealer to get the code cleared....DO remove the throttle controller before you go in and do NOT, again do not, tell the dealer you have/used a throttle controller. They will not be able to see/ prove you were..

ArielPR

First Name
Zed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
@ArielPR

I know for a fact the Pedal Commander is not picked up / seen by the dealership's wiTech ll computer, that the tech connects the JL/JT with. There is no tell tale track record so to speak either.

Now, if you trigger a code with any throttle controller, and the tech sees there is a throttle related/code thrown, he won't know if it was an aftermarket throttle controller... but he may go poking around and discover the aftermarket throttle controller hooked up.... Now, you may have an issue .... For this reason, it is prudent to remove the throttle controller when you take the vehicle in for a code you caused to be thrown by incorrect use of your throttle controller.

In general it is probably best to remove the throttle controller if the JL is going in say for more then an oil change.. Only takes about 5 min to remove..

IF, you throw a code and take the JL into the dealer to get the code cleared....DO remove the throttle controller before you go in and do NOT, again do not, tell the dealer you have/used a throttle controller. They will not be able to see/ prove you were..

Thanks

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
I've had several Jeeps over the years, but this is my first Diesel one. It does not have a straight linear progression to the throttle application, but as with any vehicle, you get used to it and forget about it. So, I don't see the need for a throttle controller. If I want the Diesel to surge, I simply increase the throttle 'till the turbo kicks in.

It's the torque and the MPG I got the Diesel for. Both have been excellent. No problems with the Jeep after 1 year of ownership - which makes it the most reliable Jeep I've owned. And, the 8-speed auto is perfectly geared for it.

Around town, I utilize compression-braking instead of mechanical-breaking and get 25 MPG per tank. The best MPG I obtained was offroad on the Pony Express Trail where the Diesel obtained 33 MPG over 9 hours, using 1/4 of a tank of fuel.

Hunter

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
If I want the Diesel to surge, I simply increase the throttle 'till the turbo kicks in.
My thoughts exactly until I tried the throttle enhancer. Hell, EVERYONE'S thoughts. Sounds like it's not for you, but don't assume you can do the same thing with your foot - you can't. And...you sure can't do it with precision every time you operate the throttle.

Bottom line: to gain fuel economy, Jeep programed a soft spot in the throttle. This fixes it - end of story.

Sponsored

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
My thoughts exactly until I tried the throttle enhancer. Hell, EVERYONE'S thoughts.
Absolutely. Makes it much more responsive and safe to drive. Also, when off road, dial it back to economy and you have more control over slow speed maneuvers.

C0ach78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Has anyone received a new Jeep or taken theirs back to ensure it has the Service Bulletin 18-008-20 flashed to their PCU? Just read in a FB group that after that flash they would equate the takeoff of the vehicle to be that of Sport +4 of the Pedal Commander

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Has anyone received a new Jeep or taken theirs back to ensure it has the Service Bulletin 18-008-20 flashed to their PCU? Just read in a FB group that after that flash they would equate the takeoff of the vehicle to be that of Sport +4 of the Pedal Commander
No idea, but I suspect not. FCA programed the throttle curve that way on purpose (EPA rating?). I can't imagine that they'd change it back.

BTW, Sport +4 is "insanity mode" - nearly undriveable (seriously). They sure wouldn't put the throttle curve on such an aggressive setting. In fact, I have no idea why Pedal Commander even has that mode other than to raise a few oh shits from unwary customers. I felt like I'd been punked when I tried it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone running the HikeIt on the 3.6L with the 6 speed manual transmission? Any tips or setting recommendations?
Save your $. A throttle controller is a terrific addition IF you have an auto tranny, otherwise a waste of $.

Sponsored

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
OK so doing all the research is it safe to say that you can only throw a code on the pedal commander, or such if you change modes while driving and that’s it?

And the only difference between the pedal commander and the hikeit is the Bluetooth?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK so doing all the research is it safe to say that you can only throw a code on the pedal commander, or such if you change modes while driving and that’s it?

And the only difference between the pedal commander and the hikeit is the Bluetooth?
@YFD_322

Well, Pedal Commander has Bluetooth and other's do not. To me Bluetooth and no cables and no little control pad visible in my JL, was a big deal..

Having tested more then one throttle controller brand, I found that the ones I tested did the same thing.....just that the mode selections were lets say labeled differently but that was it from what I could tell.

As for throwing codes.. I tried all kinds of things to set off a code with each throttle controller... the only way I could generate/force a code was o change modes while actively working the gas pedal. Happened with each throttle controller I tested.. did not happen every time but it did..

I've got over 20,000 miles logged with the Pedal Commander installed.. Works flawlessly. Only code ever thrown was the one I provoked by changing modes while working the gas pedal. Could other codes occur.... sure I guess...

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Save your $. A throttle controller is a terrific addition IF you have an auto tranny, otherwise a waste of $.
Please dig deeper as to why. I already treated myself months ago and haven't installed it yet. Going to give it a shot since I already own it and if I don't like it I will put it on the Mrs. Jeep which is an auto.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please dig deeper as to why. I already treated myself months ago and haven't installed it yet. Going to give it a shot since I already own it and if I don't like it I will put it on the Mrs. Jeep which is an auto.
@mgroeger

Since you have it already, I suggest you try on your Wife's automatic.... only takes a couple of minutes to install. Try it and then take the throttle controller and install on your manual JL.

You may be the rare bird that says you think the throttle controller on a manual really makes a difference... is worth the $.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mike, I spent a few minutes trying to craft a response to your question and had trouble articulating. That said, you are, as Rhinebeck01 mentioned, in a perfect position to test between your Jeep and your wife's. After doing it a few times, I can change it out in about 90 seconds, so it'll be easy to swap back-and-forth. Give it a try - wife's Jeep first - and the answer will become clear. The short answer is that for manuals the skeptics are correct. You can just do it with your foot. On an automatic, it's a whole new ball game.

Also, don't underestimate the convenience factor of the Bluetooth connection. These units (there are over a dozen different models out there) are basically all the same except the Bluetooth differentiator.
Sponsored

Last edited: