Sponsored

Thoughts on new rear bumper

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Without over-stepping. I am sure this allows for a larger tire (35, maybe a 37), but would be very hesitant to put anything too heavy on this. That said, I am OCD and cannot stand a rattle / squeek and have seen several of the bumper mounted carriers sheer off / fail at the pivot point.
That's the best "paying sponsor vendor" reply we could hope for I think. ;) Lol
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Don't think you are being over critical, but this may have been how it came from the manufacturer (no cam cover, etc). Without knowing more, this looks like a low end Chinese made bumper. I would be willing to bet that the bumper mounted swing out will rattle like crazy within a few months. The cheaper swing outs with the single pivot point tend to be extremely problematic (Hence why the higher end carriers are body mounted).
I really couldn't agree more...
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on new rear bumper 20220806_091830_resized

OP
OP
tehfrr

tehfrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4XE 20th
I agree 100% on DIY. But yes, apartment life unfortunately. Already got in trouble for installing the York air compressor here. Im in Tri Cities, and this shop is in Yakima. I know of ZERO local shops I trust, especially the local Jeep dealer. I had to go to Idaho to get my lift kit installed.

The total cost out the door for me was $2,202.95

This was for the rear bumper replacement, install a Teraflex steering stabilizer, check torque on entire suspension.

Didnt even mention the steering stabilizer yet. After installing that the Jeep feels almost a little "bouncy" and it wants to wander across the lane more. It feels less safe. I figured with that I should get my alignment checked to see if thats the issue.

Seeing that snorkel looking thing off center, backwards, and the bare wires hanging out makes me think it looks walmart. The bumper looks like shit too. To top it all off, the licence plate light is wired up weird. It wont turn off anymore when I use the Tazer darkmode - and I use that all the time (night photography).

Also its hard to see in these pics but most of the stock tire carrier is still there too, he told me it cant be removed. I dont see it there on other Jeeps here. I strongly prefer things to look simple and clean.

The more I look at it the more I think my Jeep looks like a fucking soup sandwich. Not even sure how to proceed at this point, I imagine if I call up or go there saying I hate it give me my money back they will just be LOL GTFO.

2023-01-24 01.09.15.jpg

2023-01-24 01.11.01.jpg

Jeep Mess.jpg

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I agree 100% on DIY. But yes, apartment life unfortunately. Already got in trouble for installing the York air compressor here. Im in Tri Cities, and this shop is in Yakima. I know of ZERO local shops I trust, especially the local Jeep dealer. I had to go to Idaho to get my lift kit installed.

The total cost out the door for me was $2,202.95

This was for the rear bumper replacement, install a Teraflex steering stabilizer, check torque on entire suspension.

Didnt even mention the steering stabilizer yet. After installing that the Jeep feels almost a little "bouncy" and it wants to wander across the lane more. It feels less safe. I figured with that I should get my alignment checked to see if thats the issue.

Seeing that snorkel looking thing off center, backwards, and the bare wires hanging out makes me think it looks walmart. The bumper looks like shit too. To top it all off, the licence plate light is wired up weird. It wont turn off anymore when I use the Tazer darkmode - and I use that all the time (night photography).

Also its hard to see in these pics but most of the stock tire carrier is still there too, he told me it cant be removed. I dont see it there on other Jeeps here. I strongly prefer things to look simple and clean.

The more I look at it the more I think my Jeep looks like a fucking soup sandwich. Not even sure how to proceed at this point, I imagine if I call up or go there saying I hate it give me my money back they will just be LOL GTFO.

2023-01-24 01.09.15.jpg

2023-01-24 01.11.01.jpg

Jeep Mess.jpg
Insanity. Definitely bring it to someone's attention. There is so much wrong there. Did your plate look like it came from Kabul after a fighting patrol before the install as well or did they do that to it too?
You paid for a service, that service is no where near as good and you would have expected. Talk to someone.

Notwithstanding, you're going to hate that swing out in a year so much that you're going to replace it anyway.

Do you not have a local Jeep club on Facebook? I'm sure there are a bunch of dudes that would offer up a place to wrench.

Replacing your steering stabilizer doesn't require an alignment. Nothing can come out of alignment. It should feel the opposite of "less safe" and "bouncy".

OP
OP
tehfrr

tehfrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The plate was all me, the front one looks even worse 😂

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
Aftermarket Jeep Product Manufacturer
That's the best "paying sponsor vendor" reply we could hope for I think. ;) Lol

Ha!

If I had a personal account I would say a lot more, but with more emphasis on cheap and chinese :)

Whether its ours or another quality manufacturer you will be blown away at the difference in an amazon special and something truly made in America.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Ha!

If I had a personal account I would say a lot more, but with more emphasis on cheap and chinese :)

Whether its ours or another quality manufacturer you will be blown away at the difference in an amazon special and something truly made in America.
Oh, I fully understand. I have your tire carrier and it's literally one of the nicest mods I've done. Whoever your welder is, they're not being paid enough. Lol.

OP
OP
tehfrr

tehfrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll check it out thank you I’m looking for a replacement now. I’m intending to contact the shop later tonight. If everything was on point I would probably just suck it up and live with it for a little while but since everything else is so sloppy I think the only thing that will make me happy is having it taken off and replaced with something nicer. Even if the shop says FU you’re on your own it’s still going to come off.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I'm really surprised at how the price gap between the higher end accessories and the poorly designed/made accessories is. The cheap stuff has gone up considerably, while the better made/US made stuff has gone up much more slowly.

Even with tires, the Indonesian, Taiwanese and Chinese tires are within 10-15% the cost of the major quality tires on the market, sometimes they are more.

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
Aftermarket Jeep Product Manufacturer
I'm really surprised at how the price gap between the higher end accessories and the poorly designed/made accessories is. The cheap stuff has gone up considerably, while the better made/US made stuff has gone up much more slowly.

Even with tires, the Indonesian, Taiwanese and Chinese tires are within 10-15% the cost of the major quality tires on the market, sometimes they are more.

Id attribute a lot of that to just fuel costs increasing exponentially. Costs a lot more to get the parts across the pond (China to the USA).

We have managed to keep our steel plate parts (Bumpers / Tire Carriers) price the same since 2019 thankfully.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
On the other hand, it seems that we are being inundated with Chinese garbage. You can't even search for anything on Amazon anymore with being overwhelmed by it.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
On the other hand, it seems that we are being inundated with Chinese garbage. You can't even search for anything on Amazon anymore with being overwhelmed by it.
100%
I miss the days where country of origin was prominent. Now they try to be slick with large "Designed in USA" followed by a small Made in China. As if the design was ever the issue... most of the crap they make is designed elsewhere and they stole it.

Amazon needs to let you filter on country of origin...

And sorry about the luck on that bumper holmes. I second the comment about finding a local that will let you use their garage. Heck you might even find somebody that would be fun to wheel with.

chicknwaffles

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 rubicon
So I'm tired of getting crap quality work done on my Jeep. I asked around and several people recommended a shop that's about an hour away.

I take it in to get the rear plastic bumper upgraded to a steel bumper and the suspension looked at.
I get it back and it looks like this. I think it looks like Walmart at best.

Am I being overly critical here? Thoughts?
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on new rear bumper Jeep Mess
looks like butt
Sponsored