First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
It's a better to have and not need than need and not have piece for me so whatever you have and rock, awesome as long as it does the job you want it to. I don't have to use mine as much as an ultra4 racer thankfully so what I have, I'm happy to even have at all.

I've had a Smittybilt and it did break, but not in a place that prevented me from not ever being able to use it again thankfully. I did sell it though with my last bumper and got a Warn after that. I have heard good things about the Badlands winches compared to HF's jack stands lol.

This also makes me wonder if any ultra4 cars have run a badlands yet just because they wanted to 🤔

-Julia
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Warn wins every shootout, even when their unit fails and others don’t. Maybe the box it comes in, the instructions I’ve never read, and the pretty red W are important to some, maybe it’s sponsorship dollars…y’all can judge that for yourselves. https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/129-1107-massive-multi-winch-shootout/
I look at recovery gear as a system and prefer to have a plan B and even a plan C. If you prefer to buy peace of mind (albeit a fake sense of security in reality) by spending thousands of dollars on a winch that may still fail, that’s your prerogative.

Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Don't need a winch if you know how to drive...

I use mine frequently and not once for getting me or someone else unstuck. Useful tool for getting stuff done.

😉

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
I have one of each. I trust them both to do the same job.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I bought a Warn Zeon 10S as I wanted an American made winch and the Zeon series are American made. Many years ago (mid 1990's) I had a Ramsey 8000 (also American made) and that served my needs well on a light 4x4.
Warn is considered the benchmark for quality winches, however there are other less expensive options that will also work, at least most of the time...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sadly, Warn has become the benchmark for overpriced winches.

Their VR line is made in China, with quality to match. I bought one in 2016; it started to rust after two weeks. Warn took it back.

I got a Quadratec Stealth-10 this time: it’s well-built, got more features that a Zeon 10, at a fraction of the cost.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
When I wanted a winch, I didn't know anything other than Warn had been the standard bearer for decades. Since I didn't know what other brands might be better, I bought a Warn Zeon 10S. The cost wasn't going to change the way I live. Is there some reason my Warn is not up to the task?

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
When I wanted a winch, I didn't know anything other than Warn had been the standard bearer for decades. Since I didn't know what other brands might be better, I bought a Warn Zeon 10S. The cost wasn't going to change the way I live. Is there some reason my Warn is not up to the task?

Nope. You have as good as it gets! Period.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Tractor supply winches look like they're up to the task.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I got a Quadratec Stealth-10 this time: it’s well-built, got more features that a Zeon 10, at a fraction of the cost.
Is that the model that had the recall?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Is that the model that had the recall?
Yes. I bought it after the recall was completed.

That Warn VR was a total letdown. I had been buying nothing but Warn winches up to that point. After that experience, I started looking elsewhere.

Quadratec‘s customer service is excellent, too.
Sponsored