Sponsored

Thinking about mounting battery shut off switch here.

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
So I'm thinking of mounting my battery shut off switch to hole next to winch plate. It would be used for my winch. The mopar skid plate would protect it from bottom damage i would put a cover on the bottom of switch to protect it as well. What are pros and cons????

20210901_154949.jpg
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Pros: Convienient

Cons: doesn't protect the wire.

I think typically one of the main reasons people install a disconnect switch to protect the wire, unless you have another reason it would be better to be as close to the battery as possible.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
A battery shutoff switch is only going to protect your electrical system from a short from any damage downstream of it so to speak, in this case from your mounting location to your winch. Hypothetically if you were in an accident and your hot cable to battery was shorted in between the battery and switch you could fry your battery and or electrical system. Most people put a shut off switch or solenoid in line with their winch for two reasons, to protect their electrical system in case of front end collision and to protect from accidental/ uncommanded winch movement. If you are looking to protect your electrical system it makes more sense to put the switch as close to the battery as possible. As far as unwanted winch activation, I am running that exact same winch for over two years now and not once has it done anything on it's own, I am adding a disconnect solenoid as soon as I get around to making a bracket for it, but it will be located close to my batt so I get both benefits.

OP
OP
Dale's Jeep

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
A battery shutoff switch is only going to protect your electrical system from a short from any damage downstream of it so to speak, in this case from your mounting location to your winch. Hypothetically if you were in an accident and your hot cable to battery was shorted in between the battery and switch you could fry your battery and or electrical system. Most people put a shut off switch or solenoid in line with their winch for two reasons, to protect their electrical system in case of front end collision and to protect from accidental/ uncommanded winch movement. If you are looking to protect your electrical system it makes more sense to put the switch as close to the battery as possible. As far as unwanted winch activation, I am running that exact same winch for over two years now and not once has it done anything on it's own, I am adding a disconnect solenoid as soon as I get around to making a bracket for it, but it will be located close to my batt so I get both benefits.
Good point didn't think of that.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner

Mojave Dust

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.vv4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
retired CIO; professional dilettante
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

You should run a disconnect relay next to your battery and connect it to your AUX switch or put a toggle switch under the hood. I picked up mine off amazon,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082HMDMLG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jeep Wrangler JL Thinking about mounting battery shut off switch here. C0FD2B7A-7CC2-40CF-AB1F-E4F730350980
Nice find on the solenoid. I was going to use a switch for my install because I couldn't find a reasonably priced solenoid. I prefer the solenoid in case of a situation where I can't open the hood.
Thanks for posting the link!
Sponsored