Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Still happy with yours?

I'm still balancing between the Falcon SP2 2.1 Monotubes (like you have), and the Fox Performance Series 2.0 Monotubes to replace the stock Rubi shocks.
Aside lift, the Fox seems to be generic - a ones fits all JL's -, whilst Falcon has different ones for 2- and 4dr...
Yes, I’m likely to stay with Teraflex shocks through the life of the Jeep because I like running them with plush (Synergy) springs for a great hybrid performance on and off road.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm suffering from analysis paralysis with respect to aftermarket suspension. I can't speak first-hand to Teraflex products, but the objection I've seen raised in this forum relates to the clamp-style adjustment vs the collar style. I suspect they both work well, but armchair engineers will opine....
Well it doesn't take an engineer to figure out that jam nuts are exponentially stronger than the punch sleeve setup. That's one of the reasons I only recommend Metalcloak and Rick Krawler.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Some of the TF stuff is nice, but for the most part they are too expensive for what you get. Why they don’t offer long travel springs (dual rate, etc) is crazy. The amount of travel you give up when going with TF is notable. As a result, many of their shock offerings are too short to work with a long travel spring from other companies.
Their new IR bushing is intriguing and my favorite Jeep has them installed. (Rebel Off-road Command Vehicle- it’s a sweet Jeep) I’ve never seen them in person though.

My JK was full of TF products. Learned a lot about suspensions and Jeeps with TF products over the years. Now my JL has exactly zero TF products installed and I don’t plan to at this time.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Some of the TF stuff is nice, but for the most part they are too expensive for what you get. Why they don’t offer long travel springs (dual rate, etc) is crazy. The amount of travel you give up when going with TF is notable. As a result, many of their shock offerings are too short to work with a long travel spring from other companies.
Their new IR bushing is intriguing and my favorite Jeep has them installed. (Rebel Off-road Command Vehicle- it’s a sweet Jeep) I’ve never seen them in person though.

My JK was full of TF products. Learned a lot about suspensions and Jeeps with TF products over the years. Now my JL has exactly zero TF products installed and I don’t plan to at this time.
Question because I’m still learning suspensions. Dual rate springs are to keep the spring from unseating at full droop, right? So when using single rate springs and shorter shock options, you’re just limiting down travel. But I’m guessing teraflex springs and IR control arms would still allow more travel than say my current Mopar lift. So aren’t these restrictions marginal when we’re already dealing with decent articulation? Instead of 28” of droop you can get maybe 31”? I think that’s what metalcloak says.

Regarding the price, based on some previous upgrades I’m starting to feel like you get what you pay for. I could be wrong. But there’s a lot of value in engineering and millions of miles of testing and thousands of hours in corrosion testing. Some may not agree or they may be looking for optimal performance. But so far the stuff I’ve spent the most on like my Mopar and steer smart parts have proven to be the best quality. Something to be said about that.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Question because I’m still learning suspensions. Dual rate springs are to keep the spring from unseating at full droop, right? So when using single rate springs and shorter shock options, you’re just limiting down travel. But I’m guessing teraflex springs and IR control arms would still allow more travel than say my current Mopar lift. So aren’t these restrictions marginal when we’re already dealing with decent articulation? Instead of 28” of droop you can get maybe 31”? I think that’s what metalcloak says.

Regarding the price, based on some previous upgrades I’m starting to feel like you get what you pay for. I could be wrong. But there’s a lot of value in engineering and millions of miles of testing and thousands of hours in corrosion testing. Some may not agree or they may be looking for optimal performance. But so far the stuff I’ve spent the most on like my Mopar and steer smart parts have proven to be the best quality. Something to be said about that.
3” may not seem like much but that’s like 11% more travel. On some trails/obstacles that may mean nothing. On other trails it may mean the difference between safely clearing the obstacle and getting tippy.

To me, I’m a rock crawler, so why would I choose TF when there are great companies offering better systems/more travel for the same or less money?

I too believe TF is more of an engineering and marketing machine that outsources much of their product manufacturing to overseas factories.

If you want TF it’s all good. It’s your Jeep and it will be fine. For many of us, TF falls short of other options.

My JK springs started sagging after a year. Like bad sagging with no weight changes to the Jeep. The control arm bushings had to be completely rebuilt after 11,000 miles (mostly road) even with frequent greasing. I do all my own maintenance and installs and I’m on top of it. So, when I got the new Jeep, I looked elsewhere for my aftermarket components.

I will give you this, they do a great marketing campaign.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
3” may not seem like much but that’s like 11% more travel. On some trails/obstacles that may mean nothing. On other trails it may mean the difference between safely clearing the obstacle and getting tippy.

To me, I’m a rock crawler, so why would I choose TF when there are great companies offering better systems/more travel for the same or less money?

I too believe TF is more of an engineering and marketing machine that outsources much of their product manufacturing to overseas factories.

If you want TF it’s all good. It’s your Jeep and it will be fine. For many of us, TF falls short of other options.

My JK springs started sagging after a year. Like bad sagging with no weight changes to the Jeep. The control arm bushings had to be completely rebuilt after 11,000 miles (mostly road) even with frequent greasing. I do all my own maintenance and installs and I’m on top of it. So, when I got the new Jeep, I looked elsewhere for my aftermarket components.

I will give you this, they do a great marketing campaign.
This is good info! Thanks!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

One thing about Teraflex products is that they tend to maintain great stock compatibility with other components.

You will see many products that will require you to have a minimum amount of clearance or you need to cut this, grind that, or use their own relocation bracket to install something. Teraflex usually works out of the box with minimal modifications. And I like that.

Last edited:

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The Teraflex Alpine control arms with their IR (Independent rotation) bushings are excellent.
That's true, I didn't realize they had those now.

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
That's true, I didn't realize they had those now.
Teraflex’s IR bushings sold me. Totally agree with your previous statement about stock bushings. I also had Johnny Joints on a Jeep 15 Years ago and I had to replace the poly bushing portion every 15-25k miles, which I hated. Have they fixed the Johnny Joint poly to be more durable?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Teraflex’s IR bushings sold me. Totally agree with your previous statement about stock bushings. I also had Johnny Joints on a Jeep 15 Years ago and I had to replace the poly bushing portion every 15-25k miles, which I hated. Have they fixed the Johnny Joint poly to be more durable?
I ran Currie Johnny Joint control arms on my TJ Rubicon for 8 years and over 45K miles and never had to replace a joint or component. This was 2007-2015.

Don't know if they've changed them or not, but I loved them while I had them. They rode very well on the road and off.

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
I ran Currie Johnny Joint control arms on my TJ Rubicon for 8 years and over 45K miles and never had to replace a joint or component. This was 2007-2015.

Don't know if they've changed them or not, but I loved them while I had them. They rode very well on the road and off.
I ran them on a 95 ZJ with a subframe (no frame to body rubber isolators), after a while, you’d get clunking as the poly outers compressed over time.
Sponsored