TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Here we are at the 10th update on my 2 door JLR build. The Jeep has had quite an evolution over the past few years. This update is an installation of a TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm lift (part number 1533100). There is significant cutting and grinding to remove most of the factory mounting brackets for this kit. The juice is worth the squeeze...more on that later. On to the pics!

Before the fun could start the Metalcloak Undercloak skid plates needed to be removed. This exposed a couple years of grime and accumulated filth from some excellent rides. A wonderful mix of Appalachian clay and red dirt from Utah. So many good memories.
Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1433.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1436.JPG

Nevermind that leaky pinion seal...these are not the droids you're looking for...

When we dropped the tank (needed for bracket removal) we found some more proof that our little Jeep has seen some trail work.
Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1462.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1463.JPG

While the tank was out, I emptied the frame of some of the compacted mud and soil...There was no way to clean this with tank and skids installed.
Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1464.JPG

Here you can see that my driver side rear lower link mount was no longer square but more parallelogram shaped...this was a large part of the reason I did not mind cutting them away for the long arm.

Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1437.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1438.JPG

Here is the passenger rear lower for reference. It wasn't as bent up as the driver side...

Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1439.JPG

Bracket cutting

Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1466.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1468.JPG

Front brackets gone and frame cleaned up
Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1477.JPG

Rear brackets have left the group chat and frame is cleaned up

Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1475.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1476.JPG

New link brackets ready for install
Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1481.JPG

Front brackets installed. You can see that the outer half of the front lower link mount is retained for the new long arm brackets.
Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1486.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1487.JPG

Look at how far the upper mount is pushed back
Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1488.JPG

The rear upper mount is changed even more...
Jeep Wrangler JL TeraFlex Alpine RT3 Long Arm install IMG_1496.JPG

The remainder of the install is far less dramatic...bolting up arms, putting the gas tank and axles back in and alignment.

I have an art project ahead of me to modify and remount the skids...most of the holes the skids used for mounting were used for the new long arm brackets.

As soon as the Jeep was off of the alignment rack, I was on the road to Moab for a shake down and trial of the new long arm kit.

On the road, I need to spend more time in the kit to give feedback...I feel like the ride is dominated by new springs that need to settle a bit. The previous springs had 32k miles to soften.

On the trail...I absolutely feel more rear bite. I wanted a great comparison to the old lift so we rode Fins and Things. I've driven the old set on fins MANY times...I am pretty sure I can draw that trail from memory. There are a few of the steep options in the fins portion of the trail where I know I can spin up the tires a bit to have a bit of fun with my passenger...it was a harder to do the same shenanigans on the long arms. More traction for sure. On four doors, the rear link brackets can hang up, this wasn't the case on my two door. On some of the more rad stuff on Rusty Nail, I never hung on any of the shelfs or drops.

Overall, I'm totally happy with the new kit. The new brackets replaced the couple that were compromised and as a sweet bonus...I think I have a path to a stretch now...I should be able to slide the rear mount bracket back on the frame and the either weld it or drill some new bolts holes and BAM...stretch! Well, not just BAM...but I know the rear link geo is already resolved and that is a huge part of the battle.
Sponsored

Ghettofab75

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5
So I see you have an etorque model with the battery pack in the rear and the extra coolant lines on the drivers side frame rail. Did you have to push or bend the coolant lines out of the way of the front brackets, or did they fit with the brackets ok?

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
So I see you have an etorque model with the battery pack in the rear and the extra coolant lines on the drivers side frame rail. Did you have to push or bend the coolant lines out of the way of the front brackets, or did they fit with the brackets ok?

The lines are all running as they should after the install. No bending or shenanigans. During removal of the factory brackets care was needed to move them out of the way without being hamfisted...

KHR Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Wrangler
Thank you for the write up............. I believe the kit is all bolt on, But did you do any welding on the brackets to the frame? I understand some shops also weld on the brackets and bolt them in........ Any need for welding in your opinion? I have not read the instructions (about welding) as of yet. 100% installing this myself in about 3 months.... Already have the kit. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Thank you for the write up............. I believe the kit is all bolt on, But did you do any welding on the brackets to the frame? I understand some shops also weld on the brackets and bolt them in........ Any need for welding in your opinion? I have not read the instructions (about welding) as of yet. 100% installing this myself in about 3 months.... Already have the kit. Thanks again!
The new brackets are bolt on. No need for welding the new brackets on.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Any additional feedback? Two door as well. On the fence between ordering either their CT3 short or long arm kit.

Sponsored

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM

On the road, I need to spend more time in the kit to give feedback...I feel like the ride is dominated by new springs that need to settle a bit. The previous springs had 32k miles to soften.

Silent Panda, super nice write-up on the TF Long-Arm kit. Thank you.

Now that you have a year of riding on the new kit, was wondering if you would be willing to give a summary of your thoughts about the lift.

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Silent Panda, super nice write-up on the TF Long-Arm kit. Thank you.

Now that you have a year of riding on the new kit, was wondering if you would be willing to give a summary of your thoughts about the lift.
After a year or more of daily driving and wheeling the lift, I am still happy with it. The on road manners are very good. The long arm geo was designed to be as close to stock ride height geo as possible. Off road is an improvement as well. In addition to the increased rear grip, I have more front feel and front grip. Meaning it is easier for me to tell when I've lifted a wheel and when It touches down.

10/10 would still do the long arm conversion again.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
After a year or more of daily driving and wheeling the lift, I am still happy with it. The on road manners are very good. The long arm geo was designed to be as close to stock ride height geo as possible. Off road is an improvement as well. In addition to the increased rear grip, I have more front feel and front grip. Meaning it is easier for me to tell when I've lifted a wheel and when It touches down.

10/10 would still do the long arm conversion again.
Thank you SP. Glad to hear you are still liking it!
Sponsored