Tekonsha Wiring Harness

ghodson

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have a 2018 JLU with a factory tow package. I recently purchased a camper and will be installing a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller. When I ordered the brake controller I also order the Tekonsha 1073-P wiring harness to connect the controller to my factory wiring harness. This wiring harness appears to be made for the JLU and Gladiators platforms. After ordering, I received an email that the wiring harness was out of stock and I would have to wait until late July / early August for them to be available. I went ahead with the purchase of the controller (to be delivered today) and ordered the harness from another supplier. Now that supplier has told me that they too are out of stock and it will be 85 days before a replacement is available. Appears everywhere I look the wiring harness is out of stock.

I seem to remember that others have used the Tekonsha wiring harness for the Dodge RAM or Jeep Cherokee and switched a pair of wires in order to connect a brake controller to the factory harness. I have been unable to find pin out diagrams or other information to compare the 1073-P and the Dodge RAM equivalent. I have also seen some posts about the need for a diode in one of the wires so I wnat to be sure I am doing the right thing. I have also read/seen where some people have experienced other issues with electrical faults due to incorrect wiring harnesses.

I am hopeful to be able to use my camper sometime in the near future and would like to have a working brake controller system.....

Any suggestions? Does anyone have a solution or a lead on a wiring harness? Can I modify another wiring harness (Dodge RAM or other Jeep vehicle)? Has anyone found a 1073-P in stock - I am currently drawing a blank.

Thanks for any help!!!
Sponsored

DrJeepStr

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2017 JKR
I have a Tekonsha P3 and the 3014-P harness. When I initially used it towing my small sub3500 pound camper, my 19 JLUR started flashing swaybar disconnect at 55 mph on the highway. The traction control disable and 4 wd indicator lights also came on. Stopping and turning the Jeep off and on multiple times did NOT reset the lights. It never handled differently so I think it was all indicator issues. Long story short, it took the dealer over a month to correct the problem including replacing several modules and the entire front axle assembly. I never told them I was using a brake controller with a harness not technically for the JL. I read somewhere that the JL needs a harness with a diode in line to prevent feedback to the computer but can't find where that info is. I'm leary of using the harness and controller because I don't want to fry the computer again. Anyone have a similar experience or know about the inline diode idea? Thanks in advance!!

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I believe the inline diode required for the brake signal is region-specific -- like for California-delivered vehicles -- which forces the brake lights to come on when the manual level on the controller is engaged. Not all regions require this feature, and therefore does not cause issue with every Wrangler. I have been using the same harness with a Tekonsha P3 for two years with no issues, however I do plan to add a diode to make it like the dedicated 3073-P harness which is now widely available.

Sponsored

DrJeepStr

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2017 JKR
Thanks Toolman514! Just ordered one from your link....happy it has the diode inline!!! Problem solved!

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
I called the customer support for Reese....the main company makes all 3 brands, Draw tite, Reese and Tekonsha.
Reese 8508211 and Drawtite 5535 are the "Same" just different label on the front (says their Technical support)
As well I also found out that 3014 works but doesn't have the Diode (so don't use it!) 3073 is the correct pin-out with Diode (Correct for Wrangler) or use 3024 (Also has diode and is for the Ram) but just swap the black and blue wire on the grey connector end for the Wrangler.
Sponsored