Sponsored

Tazer vs Flashcal vs other JL programmers

What programmer are you getting and why?

• Total voters

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Well, ok...thank you all for that clarification. :) :like:
Sponsored

Globexradice

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 jk
We have the tazer. I love it. Very simple to use and program. The owner is active and willing to keep updating the product with new features which is always nice. Honestly in the shop I'm sure we will stock both for our customers

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Ordered the Tazer yesterday. Sent an email via the ZAutomotive site with 2 questions and got an email response back within an hour.

Consistent updates and new features + first to market + fast response + invested owner who is on the forum and has a JL = best option, in my book.

Sponsored

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
I'm happy with my Tazer JL, and I have no skin in this game. I will say they've been extremely responsive to my questions and gave me one tidbit of a future feature this year that confirmed the money I paid was well worth it (no, I'm not saying what, I'll let the Tazer team decide when to announce upcoming features).

OP
OP
smuddy

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm really wanting the Tazer for all it's options. But to bite the bullet, I will have to get over my fear for potential issues getting warranty repair work done should something go awry with the electrical system down the road. It's a gamble, I think. I still may do it. Pisses me off that jeep wants so freakin much money just to do a tire size/speedo calibration!

The fact service departments need to get and be charged a contract fee or whatever the hell you call it, is down right ludicrous! Has there ever been such a thing before? I understand the high prices dealer service departments charge for their work for service, in general, but having to call fca and be charged 130 on top? What.. The... Flock! Is it somehow tied to covering their asses should something happen that physically harms the driver/occupants because of changes? I really don't get it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smuddy

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It won't void your warranty
You say this, and I understand it, and it shouldn't, but I do believe should a warranty issue arise with the electrical system/computer, then I think there's a good chance fca will try... And you'd be forced down the road of fighting it using expensive lawyers that would probably offset the cost of the warranty work. Then there is the potential for you to not have a vehicle to drive while you hash it out.

I really wish there were a way to reset the counter on the number of updates that have been performed. That way, after unmarrying/rollback, it really would look like nothing has been changed. We had this for rooting Android phones, can we get this for the Tazer?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Looks to me like the FlashCal does the exact same thing the ProCal did for the JK, with the exception of a fancy screen. Is that fancy screen worth another $150...that's the question.

Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Honestly, unless you truly *only* want to change tire size, is there a good reason to go with ProCal or FlashCal over the Tazer? I don't want to be a fanboy - I was originally leaning towards the FlashCal simply for cost. But, looking at the capabilities of the different options (and the ongoing growth of new features introduced), I pulled the trigger on a Tazer yesterday. It just offers so much more than the alternatives, and is constantly getting new features unlocked.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
You say this, and I understand it, and it shouldn't, but I do believe should a warranty issue arise with the electrical system/computer, then I think there's a good chance fca will try... And you'd be forced down the road of fighting it using expensive lawyers that would probably offset the cost of the warranty work. Then there is the potential for you to not have a vehicle to drive while you hash it out.

I really wish there were a way to reset the counter on the number of updates that have been performed. That way, after unmarrying/rollback, it really would look like nothing has been changed. We had this for rooting Android phones, can we get this for the Tazer?
^This.

Mike@Powerteq

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.superchips.com
Vehicle(s)
16 JK, 18 JL 2.0T, 22 Wagoneer 3.0TT
Occupation
Senior Category Manager – Domestic Tuning at Holley
I can list probably a dozen reasons why the Tazer Jl is a better product offering in regard to more features and more bang for the buck.

Yes, the SuperChip offering is less $ but you are getting way less in regard to features. Sure, if all you want to do is program for tire size for example go with the SuperChip offering, as it is less expensive. As for me, I have a whole list of lets call it "wants" that the Tazer JL will give me so I would not even consider the SuperChip offering.

Also, SuperChips borrows a JL from a JL owner and comes up with an offering. SuperChips advertises they were first to market in regard to a programmer for the JL. This is pure crapola! We all know that the Tazer JL has been out for 2 months now. We have JL owner's here, who are very pleased with the Tazer JL. So, with that said, SuperChips is blowing smoke up peoples asses, when they say they were first out.

In regard to the Tazer JL. The guy (Joe) that owns ZAutomotive is a forum member. He actually is one of us.. He himself owns a 2018 Wrangler JLU. He comes to the forum daily to see what we need/want in regard to programming. He quickly replies to emails in regard to his offering, day and night. The guy is so hands on it is unbelievable. Sure, he is the little guy in comparison to SuperChips.... but reality is, his offering, the Tazer JL was in fact first out and damm, it provides more features then the SuperChip offering.

In closing, I feel the SuperChip offering is a good offering. Yes, the price is less for their offering. I wouldn't be grudge you for going with SuperChips.

As for me, I went with the Tazer JL as I know you get what you pay for. I want to disable, ESS, disable Nav restrictions, enable Cargo Camera, turn backup camera and or cargo camera on at any speed when moving forward and leave on, the ability to turn off the halo’s, etc., etc. that the SuperChip offering does not offer me. I made my choice...

Just to clarify, we do indeed own a JL. We use it daily as well. We try to let all of our people drive it to be more familiar with the vehicles that we offer support for. Same for the JK, we've owned many, and currently have a 16 JK, recently traded our 17 JK for the JL.

Thanks

Mike@Powerteq

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.superchips.com
Vehicle(s)
16 JK, 18 JL 2.0T, 22 Wagoneer 3.0TT
Occupation
Senior Category Manager – Domestic Tuning at Holley
I'd really like to see options that can adjust horsepower and torque like they can do for the pick-ups and some of the cars that are out there.
Thats in the works :)