Tailpipe Smoke no Leaks

davemx68

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Was at the 2023 Bantam Jeepfest here in PA today. Trails were dusty and temperature in the high 70s. Speeds were very slow (4WD LO) with the pack of jeeps. Toward the end of the ride (60 minutes or so), I smelled oil burning, thinking it was an old Cherokee in front of me. But noticed out the passenger mirror a bit of haze toward the rear of the vehicle. At the same time, the Jeep behind me started flashing their lights. So I knew it was me at this point. Temperatures were consistent with the rest of the ride - Coolant was 205-220F, Oil Temps were hanging around 215-220F, Oil Pressure seems to "dance" between 17 and 50. I was not on a hill, flat tight trail.

I was able to pull over just a little of where this happened to let the pack by and check things over. The driver behind me stopped and confirmed it was me smoking. Checked the engine and underneath for any sign of oil leaking. Nothing. Being super dusty would have made it easy to see. Checked oil, level was fine. Maybe at top end of full.

Decided to call it quits for the day. Had to drive about 1/2 mile to get back to trailhead -- no smoke or issues. Then drove an hour home with no issues -- just super nervous about something dying out though. This is a 2022 JLUR 2.0L with 16,000 miles (37s and Tazer JL). I had the engine replaced under warranty by the dealer at 7500 miles due to the loose bolts on the coolant elbow (overheated and destroyed the engine).

I have been on these trails before without issue. However, this time I did use 4 LOW and manually shifted. Used more low gear to control speed going down hills. No idea if this played into anything. The oil pressure I never watched much like I did today. Never realized how much it fluctuates. It does not seem to raise pressure up based on RPM, but more on engine load. It would drop to 15-20 psi, but climb to into the low 50s when under load.

Anyone have any ideas on things I should look for before taking to dealer? Trying to ease my mind as we all want reliability on the trail.
Sponsored

OP
OP
davemx68

davemx68

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. There were throughout the hour. Many were 1st gear in 4WD Lo. But prior to the smoke there really was not much other than a few side angling ruts and maybe some drainage ditches.

btw - I do have a mishimoto catch can. not sure if that matters

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Yes. There were throughout the hour. Many were 1st gear in 4WD Lo. But prior to the smoke there really was not much other than a few side angling ruts and maybe some drainage ditches.

btw - I do have a mishimoto catch can. not sure if that matters
Hmm, wonder if the Catch Can contributed (hopefuly). Blue exhaust smoke is burning oil, not leaking it.

Hopefully enough of an incline with a full can and you vacuumed oil into the intake.

Any issues since?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
How much oil in the can?

Sponsored

OP
OP
davemx68

davemx68

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everything seemed normal on the 50 mile trip home. All temps were good.

OP
OP
davemx68

davemx68

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much oil in the can?
It has a petcock on a hose under it. While at the trailhead I checked And nothing came out of it. Not even a drip.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
It has a petcock on a hose under it. While at the trailhead I checked And nothing came out of it. Not even a drip.
Well now you know where it probably went. 🤣

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about anything if it cleared up. If it was a head gasket or something, it would have burnt all the way home.

Personally, I would lose the catch can and see if the issue happens without it. May be causing more issues than it's supposedly solving.
Sponsored