Black smoke when cold starting.

jcurtis0520

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Unlimited
Lately my Jeep has been smoking quite a bit when I cold start it. The smoke will clear up after 30 seconds to a minute of idling. If I put the Jeep in gear and give it a little throttle it lets out quite a bit of smoke. The smoke looks black like it is running super rich. I also have a lot of black soot on my tailpipe. No check engine light, but I am low on coolant again (not sure if that is related). The Jeep has 42K miles and is going in to the dealer Tuesday but has anyone had this before?
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Low on coolant would suggest possible head gasket leak, but that would produce white smoke upon start up. Take a video of cold start up before visiting the dealer.... Surprised it hasn’t thrown a code...

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Lately my Jeep has been smoking quite a bit when I cold start it. The smoke will clear up after 30 seconds to a minute of idling. If I put the Jeep in gear and give it a little throttle it lets out quite a bit of smoke. The smoke looks black like it is running super rich. I also have a lot of black soot on my tailpipe. No check engine light, but I am low on coolant again (not sure if that is related). The Jeep has 42K miles and is going in to the dealer Tuesday but has anyone had this before?
Hi Joshua,

We're sorry to hear about the concerns you've been having with your Jeep Wrangler recently but it sounds like you've taken the right steps and were scheduled to meet with a dealer. Please feel free to keep us updated on your vehicle's status and send us a private message with your dealer's name , current mileage, and VIN if you need further assistance!

Thanks,

Jeep Cares
Sponsored