Tailgate hinge paint chip

RealMenDIY

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I’ve had my ‘21 for a little over a month and right after I took delivery I noticed chipped paint on the tailgate hinge (see photos). Is this normal? Vehicle goes into the dealer body shop to have new hinges put on and have it all repainted. I’ve had good and bad experiences with body shops so want to make sure I’m making the right decision.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate hinge paint chip 4FBA4FCD-44A9-4E91-A152-7C7A474A8BD7
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate hinge paint chip B0BB7EF5-402C-4648-9869-D6D02B106925
Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
It's not normal. My 2018 has no paint chips around any of the hinges...

OP
OP

RealMenDIY

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
It's not normal. My 2018 has no paint chips around any of the hinges...
Kinda figured, wasn’t looking forward to having a portion of the car repainted already but it’s needed.

21 Willys

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys Sarge Green
I’ve had my ‘21 for a little over a month and right after I took delivery I noticed chipped paint on the tailgate hinge (see photos). Is this normal? Vehicle goes into the dealer body shop to have new hinges put on and have it all repainted. I’ve had good and bad experiences with body shops so want to make sure I’m making the right decision.
If it was me, I would buy a bottle of touch up paint rather than having anything repainted. Just my .02 worth.

OP
OP

RealMenDIY

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
If it was me, I would buy a bottle of touch up paint rather than having anything repainted. Just my .02 worth.
That was my initial solution but the problem is it’s a manufacturing defect of the hinge casting. The casting piece attached to the tailgate rubs on the piece attached to the body.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
@RealMenDIY, mine has the exact same mark, I didn't notice it until this post. I'm in @21 Willys camp, I wouldn't have it repainted. If it annoys me enough, I'll get some sarge green touch up paint and hit it real quick when I wash and detail. I seriously doubt it'll ever bother me enough to touch it up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate hinge paint chip image0

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU

The little tube of Mopar Bright White cured a bit ivory for me. I don't mind it, but I think most people would.

@RealMenDIY , make sure they also check for, grind off, and paint the little paint drip on the upper hinge that undoubtedly caused your rub mark.

OP
OP

RealMenDIY

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
And just to clarify, they are replacing the hinges and then repainting. My concern is if my hinge casting was off I cannot be the only one. I can’t imagine mine was the only hinge made from that mold. I’m going to take a good look at the new hinge tolerances before I have them (if I have them) proceed.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
And just to clarify, they are replacing the hinges and then repainting. My concern is if my hinge casting was off I cannot be the only one. I can’t imagine mine was the only hinge made from that mold. I’m going to take a good look at the new hinge tolerances before I have them (if I have them) proceed.
I'd think a random gravity-fed thick spot of would do it. Not usually a problem, but yours just happened in a low clearance area.

I'm pretty sure at least one of my doors has a little dried drip bulge at the bottom.

Definitely check upon delivery though. Maybe take a dry-erase marker or grease pencil or something to mark it, and see if any gets rubbed off when you open it.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
To each their own. This wouldn't annoy me enough to have the dealership do body work on my Jeep even if the replacement parts are acceptable. Even if the parts look acceptable in my hand, who knows how much flex there is once you have the weight of the wheel and door applied to it.. It appears the door side of the hinge is aluminum and the body side is steel (based on a quick test with a magnet). Just my $0.02. If it makes you a more satisfied customer and your dealer is willing to take care of it, go for it!

Sponsored

OP
OP

RealMenDIY

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Thank for the feedback, I balked. I didn’t have hinges replaced and repainted. I had them hit the spot with some touch-up and we’ll see how it does.

21 Willys

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys Sarge Green
Thank for the feedback, I balked. I didn’t have hinges replaced and repainted. I had them hit the spot with some touch-up and we’ll see how it does.
I went out and looked at my '21 Willys this morning. I have the same marks you do. At this time, it doesn't bother me. If at some point it does, I will file down the radius for clearance, then put some touch up paint on it.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
good luck with the repair....

its success hinges on the hinge, hugh?;)

OP
OP

RealMenDIY

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I went out and looked at my '21 Willys this morning. I have the same marks you do. At this time, it doesn't bother me. If at some point it does, I will file down the radius for clearance, then put some touch up paint on it.
Same here, I plan on flat filing the fillet at some point. In reality what will happen is I will live with it long enough to not care any more and it will just stay as-is. I know me well.
Sponsored