Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Ok, real easy solution to this.

Settings > Door and Lock > Passive Entry - set to disable. This requires you to hit unlock with the key fob to unlock the door. Park, hide key as normal, lock the doors. Problem solved.
Try the pencil bag, i did it for years when I rodeo'd, cheap and easy....a pencil bag, and a carabiner to attach, poof, out of sight and safe...
Sponsored

OP
OP

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Try the pencil bag, i did it for years when I rodeo'd, cheap and easy....a pencil bag, and a carabiner to attach, poof, out of sight and safe...
Yeah, so I have a hide a key, a bag, all of that. It was more the fact that proximity unlock was on so someone could just walk up without the key, unlock the door, start the engine and drive off.

I'm going to fix it with two things, faraday box and disabling proximity. Truth is, I generally surf/kiteboard right in front of my Jeep so there's no issues. It's mainly when I'm travelling, etc.

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase
Remove the battery and hide the key on the car. You can also make a copy of the physical key and after removing the battery lock the key in the glovebox and take the copy with you surfing safely secured.

SurfMacJpMtb

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jp JLU Rubi, 17 Jp GC WK2 Quadra-Drive II
Turn off "Passive Entry" on screen setup, buy an oversize lockbox. I use the "KeyGuard SL-501 Punch Button Large Capacity Key Storage Shackle Lock Box, Black Finish" that I found on Amazon.

Sponsored

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You might be able to surf on the fob 🏄‍♂️
C’mon, That’s just silly!

As a surfer……you know damn well the Jeep fob is way to BIG to be used as a surf board! 🤪

Dougehr2

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 jk 2021 jl 2 door rubicon
Occupation
Mechanic
Need to talk to local surf board company and ask if they can install a compartment in your board , bet it could be done

cwoll1321

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Too many posts to read through so apologies if this has already been said. I hide mine in the front bumper. It is far enough away to not unlock the doors. Rear is obviously too close but front works. I’m afraid that gigantic hunk of propaganda will ding my board so I don’t take it out.

OP
OP

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Too many posts to read through so apologies if this has already been said. I hide mine in the front bumper. It is far enough away to not unlock the doors. Rear is obviously too close but front works. I’m afraid that gigantic hunk of propaganda will ding my board so I don’t take it out.
Yeah, so this post got way out of hand on random posts, I was just curious since I didn't have a choice on not getting proximity with a Rubi. So 3 options:

1. Turn off passive entry, lock doors, hide key as usual.
2. Test the distance you can hide it, I'll try the front bumper the back wheel was too close. I'll try the inside of the front and rear bumper.
3. Buy a faraday box to block RF, hide it as usual.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Last edited:

Coldeskimo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
OK most surf shops should sell a lock box that you could attach to your hitch or other location around the car. To avoid the issue of keyless entry just wrap the key in aluminum foil. This stops the transmission allowing you to feel secure to leave the key near the car.
Sponsored