Surfing - what to do with key

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
one of the reasons why I got a manual! lol Not even my wife wants to drive it. LOL
I would think the steering on the first couple years of the JL would be more deterent than having a rattlesnake in the driver seat..
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Do not ever carry them with you into the ocean. Sure they can get damaged from the water. But even worst, that brick will sink you to the bottom of the ocean.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I would think the steering on the first couple years of the JL would be more deterent than having a rattlesnake in the driver seat..
you may have a point there. But I like the idea of a pet rattle snake sitting on the driver's seat! lol

Sponsored

OP
OP

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Ok, real easy solution to this.

Settings > Door and Lock > Passive Entry - set to disable. This requires you to hit unlock with the key fob to unlock the door. Park, hide key as normal, lock the doors. Problem solved.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
you may have a point there. But I like the idea of a pet rattle snake sitting on the driver's seat! lol
I have a few pet snakes that work great, a python, cobra and anaconda. Of course when all else fails the king cobra.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
On my JK, I just hide the key in a box or under the bumper or whatever every time, or a lot of times I just hide it inside the Jeep (when there's no doors/top).

I just picked up a JL Rubicon where the Remote Proximity is a required option, it's nice, but now..........if I hide my key someone could walk up unlock the door, start the Jeep and drive off.

Any ideas from surfers or anyone else leaving the key?
Uhh, I don't have this problem, I live in Kentucky. The closest I get to Surfing is walking down my front hill and hoping I don't slip and fall on my ass.

Seriously, cant you find a place to hide your key? Maybe inside the trailer hitch?

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Uhh, I don't have this problem, I live in Kentucky. The closest I get to Surfing is walking down my front hill and hoping I don't slip and fall on my ass.

Seriously, cant you find a place to hide your key? Maybe inside the trailer hitch?
Buy a small pencil bag, get a small carabiner, place keys, wallet etc in said bag, attach bag to highest point underneath you can reach...out of sight, and cheap...works anywhere...

Sponsored

OP
OP

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue

Somehow or another this got lost, or maybe you just didn't read the whole post. I have a Rubicon, on the new Rubicon's they forced you to order proximity entry. Meaning.......if you hide a key fob somewhere on the Jeep (like I normally would do) someone can still walk up, unlock the door and start the engine and drive off.

Also.........about 10 posts back, I found a solution, so.......while you guys can keep posting, it's been solved.

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
I surf fairly frequently in SD and whenever I have my surf board, my rear soft top windows are all taken out. I keep my key on top of the battery in the engine. it’s pretty hidden and definitely in a more unusual spot compared to most other cars. Plus the back windows are out so if someone wants into my Jeep they can easily just climb in

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Summary ? Remove metal key from Fob ; bag Fob in Faraday Bag ; hide bag in engine compartment that is LOCKED BY YOUR BOLT HOOD LOCK, take metal key with you.
Faraway Bag keeps the ChatterBox Fob from yapping to anyone or thing ; small metal key easy to keep on your person...
Sponsored