Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@RubenZ
@Bubba33
@fdFifty
@kkuntz01

Before any Dealership Service Dept. appt., if you have any programmer installed..... Always unmarry! .....

Why:

• The dealer may wipe out your changes, sure...this not that big of a deal as you can redo your settings...
  • IF, the Dealership Tech, does an update which changes the BCM config, and you’re not unmarried, when you finally do unmarry, you’ll be erasing what the Tech at the Dealership Service Dept., just applied.
After you unmarry, you must remove the gateway module and reconnect the two cables before the vehicle goes to the Service Department. IF you do not, the dealer's WiTech tool will not be able to do it's job..also, of course, you do not want the Tech, by chance, to see the gateway module.

-----------------------
When you get your JL back from the dealer, reconnect the gateway module, remarry your programmer and then be sure to ascertain you have all your settings as you want.

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
@RubenZ
@Bubba33
@fdFifty
@kkuntz01

Before any Dealership Service Dept. appt., if you have any programmer installed..... Always unmarry! .....

Why:

• The dealer may wipe out your changes, sure...this not that big of a deal as you can redo your settings...
  • IF, the Dealership Tech, does an update which changes the BCM config, and you’re not unmarried, when you finally do unmarry, you’ll be erasing what the Tech at the Dealership Service Dept., just applied.
After you unmarry, you must remove the gateway module and reconnect the two cables before the vehicle goes to the Service Department. IF you do not, the dealer's WiTech tool will not be able to do it's job..also, of course, you do not want the Tech, by chance, to see the gateway module.

-----------------------
When you get your JL back from the dealer, reconnect the gateway module, remarry your programmer and then be sure to ascertain you have all your settings as you want.

This is not entirely accurate, at least according to Superchips. They're claiming with the FlashCal it is not completely necessary to unmarry the device. If you don't unmarry it, the worst that will happen if the dealer flashes your PCM is it could wipe out some of your changes and that your FlashCal will require a reset from Superchips.

They're also claiming it's not necessary to remove the gateway module as it shouldn't interfere with the WiTech tool communicating with the PCM. The tech at Superchips I just spoke with was not aware of anyone calling in with that issue, which is not to say that people are not experiencing that issue in the field and not calling in about it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@kkuntz01

A Jeep, Senior Tech I know told me it is an issue at certain times... Also, has been reported here on the forum by a couple of guys that ended up at the dealership after foolishly not bothering to remove the gateway module.

Why would you not remove, even if there was only the slightest chance of...

Did you read what I said in the BLUE.. You might want to reread that!! I will not comment on Superchips..

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@kkuntz01

A Jeep, Senior Tech I know told me it is an issue... Also, has been reported here on the forum by a couple of guys that ended up at the dealership after foolishly not bothering to remove the gateway module. Why would you not remove, even if there was only the slightest chance of...
I don't know if I'd go so far as to say "foolishly not bothered to remove it". If an individual left the gateway module plugged in, it likely wasn't because they were being foolish or stupid, it's because they felt it should not be a problem since technically it should not be.

As I stated above, if this is an issue, no one is calling into Superchips about as their tech's don't seem to be aware of it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@kkuntz01

Well, it is absolutely foolish, stupido, a nitwit move to knowingly, leave the gateway module and or the programmer married to the JL and the hardware installed when you bring the vehicle to the dealership Service Department.

You install such a device, (programmer) you sure as hell should have done your homework so to speak before hand..

Only reason to not unmarry and to leave the hardware in place is pure laziness and stupidity.

As I mentioned, I am talking programmer wise in general. I am not specifically referencing ZAutomotive Tazer or Superchips Flashcal.

Sponsored

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I know my dealer well. And it wouldn't let him in with the bypass module plugged in. I had to unmary it and take out the module and plug back in the factory plugs, for it to work. To whomever said worst thing that can happen is that the flashcal has to be reset is wrong . And add superchips would most likely charge you to reset it.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know my dealer well. And it wouldn't let him in with the bypass module plugged in. I had to unmary it and take out the module and plug back in the factory plugs, for it to work. To whomever said worst thing that can happen is that the flashcal has to be reset is wrong . And add superchips would most likely charge you to reset it.
I was relaying what Superchips communicated to me today.

And to the other comment about being charged to reset the Flashcal, if you’re the original registered owner you will not be. I had my Flashpaq blown out on my JK when they flashed the PCM and Superchips reset it at no charge with no hassle.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Bubba33

What you stated echos what I said. You, I and other's here have mentioned this multiple times in the past.

I mean you could just leave the programmer married and disconnect / remove the gateway module and hook those two connections back up.
Do this and the dealer's WiTech will be able to communicate with your JL.. BUT .........

Big problem since you did not unmarry is that:
With what in the blue above states means..... you go to a dealer and he does an update with the WiTech 2 to say fix an idle problem, to fix a cruise control problem, to fix a HVAX problem or fix any other assorted problem you can fix with a computer flash..... THEN, you in the future, unmarry your programmer for some reason, (you will) that you will be knocking out all the fixes that the dealer did the day you left the programmer married because you did not want to be bothered....

Kaliks&Bones

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This feels like a dumb question but I was messing with my SuperChip on my JLUR and hit Stock under gear ratio and then realized 4.10 was down below. Should I have selected that or stock since that is stock on the JLUR? Just not sure stock isn’t referring to 3.45s.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would think stock would be 410 for with the Rubicon. You changed the settings from stock to 410. Then again 410 is what you have. I dont see how that would be wrong either.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW - I used WiTech2 while bypass module remained plugged up; communicated without an issue.
All settings from FlashCal remained as well.

2018 JLUR
Hopefully others read this whole thread and dont' do as you do. You missed the point so to speak. You'll learn the hard way someday ... daaaah.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully others read this whole thread and dont' do as you do. You missed the point so to speak. You'll learn the hard way someday ... daaaah.
Just let them do it and screw it up I.know mine was not able to communicate with there scan, when it was plugged in. When I took.it all out he could get in. That's my personal experience. Rhinebeck you can't help some of these know it all.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just let them do it and screw it up I.know mine was not able to communicate with there scan, when it was plugged in. When I took.it all out he could get in. That's my personal experience. Rhinebeck you can't help some of these know it all.
@Bubba33

I have a habit of calling out someone that spews pure crapola. Thus my last post here... See, I know better on this as you do.. Also, what I typed in blue, in earlier posts in the thread is critical... with any programmer for JL.

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
I have a few questions - I just got a Flashcal for my new re-gear and 37" tires. I see that I can upgrade my Flashcal to a Flashpaq for a discount through the software. Do I still need to do a PCM swap for this? The description does not state that I do.

Also, do I need to leave the bypass module plugged in all the time for my tunes / adjustments for gears / tires / etc. to stay active?

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a few questions - I just got a Flashcal for my new re-gear and 37" tires. I see that I can upgrade my Flashcal to a Flashpaq for a discount through the software. Do I still need to do a PCM swap for this? The description does not state that I do.
Yes, you will need to send your PCM off to have it unlocked or swap yours.

Also, do I need to leave the bypass module plugged in all the time for my tunes / adjustments for gears / tires / etc. to stay active?
It’s not necessary, however since it’s a pain to contort your body to get under the dash I’ve found it easiest to leave it in. You only need to worry about removing it if you have to bring it into the dealer for service.
Sponsored