Stuck in 2nd gear

Coopdeville

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Where to start. It’s a 2018 JLUR with exactly 3,591 miles on it as of this second. I had a bunch of errands to do so I started by driving to Columbus Oh(53 miles one way). Ran in the first place came back out to leave and my Jeep won’t get out of 2nd gear. Tried pulling over and shutting the Jeep off to see if the computer or whatever it is would reset. No luck. Just spent 3hrs driving back home the same 53 miles in 2nd gear. Let me tell you how fun that was :surprised:. Got 5-8 miles from the dealership and the Jeep decided to change gears all the way up to 8th. Finally got to the dealership that’s 5 miles from my house and it won’t leave 8th, even coming to a complete stop. I have 4.88’s still in the box and $4k worth of other stuff that I haven’t even done to it yet. I’m ready to throw a fit:headbang::swear:

BA6C4ECA-B7B2-4B15-83CD-0B1A0AE89D28.jpeg
Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
The reason that I asked is that I can see the little #8 next to the D. Hope this helps. (ive been there)

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Sorry that's all I could come up with. Hope it's an easy fix for you. I wondered what the M was next to my shifter. Ended up having to read the owners manual.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Coopdeville

Coopdeville

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Sorry that's all I could come up with. Hope it's an easy fix for you. I wondered what the M was next to my shifter. Ended up having to read the owners manual.
I rarely read anything like that. I’m the kind of person that just does it and sees what happens. Yeah the service manager was really helpful. He said “well something is going on”. No sh!t, really.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I was forced to read it. Lol. Dealership was/is clueless. And I hadn't joined this forum. I get way more help and information here. And it's greatly appreciated.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Where to start. It’s a 2018 JLUR with exactly 3,591 miles on it as of this second. I had a bunch of errands to do so I started by driving to Columbus Oh(53 miles one way). Ran in the first place came back out to leave and my Jeep won’t get out of 2nd gear. Tried pulling over and shutting the Jeep off to see if the computer or whatever it is would reset. No luck. Just spent 3hrs driving back home the same 53 miles in 2nd gear. Let me tell you how fun that was :surprised:. Got 5-8 miles from the dealership and the Jeep decided to change gears all the way up to 8th. Finally got to the dealership that’s 5 miles from my house and it won’t leave 8th, even coming to a complete stop. I have 4.88’s still in the box and $4k worth of other stuff that I haven’t even done to it yet. I’m ready to throw a fit:headbang::swear:

BA6C4ECA-B7B2-4B15-83CD-0B1A0AE89D28.jpeg
Please let us know the outcome. It's bound to happen to someone else too. This is what happens when "everything" is controlled by computers or electronics.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I rarely read anything like that. I’m the kind of person that just does it and sees what happens. Yeah the service manager was really helpful. He said “well something is going on”. No sh!t, really.
Yeah it's amazing what is in the OM. Like maybe they were around when the vehicle was designed.

mtristi37

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering Student
I have actually had this happen to me once before, only mine wouldn't jump outta 6th, I thought at first it was just the jeep preparing for more hard acceleration but after a mile or 2 of the RPMS staying high I had to slide the shifter over to M and manual shift up to 7th and 8th while cruising on the highway. I believe it just had to be a glitch in the computer because after getting home and letting the jeep sit over night the next morning, the jeep shifted normally.

Sponsored

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
What mods have you done? Tazer? Pedal commander?

OP
OP
Coopdeville

Coopdeville

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
What mods have you done? Tazer? Pedal commander?
-37’s and wheels
-2.5” lift
-Winch
-aux lights on the hood and rear b/u lights controlled by trigger systems
-Genesis dual battery kit
-I used Superchips tuner but just changed tire size to correct speedometer

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Even if it is sequential mode (M) the car will adjust gears depending on the speed. At a complete stop, if you are in M the car will shift down to first gear. Sounds like a control module error

OP
OP
Coopdeville

Coopdeville

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Even if it is sequential mode (M) the car will adjust gears depending on the speed. At a complete stop, if you are in M the car will shift down to first gear. Sounds like a control module error
I tried that and it wouldn’t do anything. The M on the dash would flash instead of be constant and it would just stay like that and keep going as if it were in Drive(D).

OP
OP
Coopdeville

Coopdeville

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Jeep called today and his exact words were my transmission is toast. They are covering a brand new one but they can’t get it until March 5th. Transmissions are on backorder from Chrysler so there has to be a lot more of these happening imo since they’re on backorder.
Sponsored