Stop/Start, ESC Service problem

ChrisMerc87

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Ive seen some posts on here when the JL first came out in 2018 owners were reporting STOP/Start Sytem and Electronic Stablity Control service messages were coming up fairly quickly, i recently just purchased a used 2018 JLU Certified used by the Jeep dealer (37k miles on it) and within the 1st hundred miles i put on the car, i got both those messages to come up...i took it in about 2 weeks ago to the same dealer and they have performed computer update, replaced fuses/ fuse box or "block" i was told... and so far the last update i got from them was they were still tracing the problem. So my question is has anyone else had the same problem and did it take this long or longer to have the problem resolved?
Sponsored

Last edited:

MoparMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator coming soon
Ive seen some posts on here when the JL first came out in 2018 owners were reporting STOP/Start Sytem and Electronica Stablity Control service messages were coming up fairly quickly, i recently just purchased a used 2018 JLU Certified used by the Jeep dealer (37k miles on it) and within the 1st hundred miles i put on the car, i got both those messages to come up...i took it in about 2 weeks ago to the same dealer and they have performed computer update, replaced fuses/ fuse box or "block" i was told... and so far the last update i got from them was they were still tracing the problem. So my question is has anyone else had the same problem and did it take this long or longer to have the problem resolved?
ESS issues are way too common, they need to fix their shit with that ESS. ESC is something that I've never heard or seen. Something electrical is going on, if the ESS is bad maybe the electrical system was affected by maybe a bad battery. For some reason the JL/JT have a much worse ESS battery reliability than the Grand Cherokee and Durango. I hope you can get both permanently fixed!

OP
OP
ChrisMerc87

ChrisMerc87

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
after mentioning the possible problem i had researched on these forums before to my service advisor, it was found the vacuum hose had a crack in it, replaced it and so far so good...

Jlmedic

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Sport S
My start/stop system failed at around 2k miles on my 2020 JLU sport s. Ended up being a faulty aux battery. That little battery caused so many random issues, once it was replaced everything was and has been normal.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Dropped off 21Aug, picked up 24Aug, because of ESS issue.
--Typical scenario - drive 20+ minutes - Start/Stop Service Required message
--Main battery reads anywhere from 14.0 to 14.2
1. I realized they used 6 quarts of oil during my first oil change
2. The ESS Start/Stop Service Required "was a result of too much oil" -signed, my advisor
--My "advisor" was gone when I picked up the Jeep - haven't had time to get back up there
3. Start/Stop Service Required popped back up yesterday - less than 2-weeks after it was at the dealership

<10k miles - currently looking at Labor Day Sales Events - if I don't pull the trigger this weekend, I will wait until the end of the year. I often drive a few hours around Texas for work. I purchased a new Jeep because, well, I've always wanted one. I don't want to worry, nor do I have time to drop off a brand new vehicle at the dealership. With their loaners, they cap daily mileage. I can easily double their total miles for 3-4 days on a day trip for work.

I am bummed because I love the look of the Wrangler. I've sunk a few grand into the Jeep since I've had it. Nothing crazy, no lift, wheels or tires, but a bunch of little things that add up. I'm torn between trading it in and taking a hit, or selling it myself. There are a bunch of variables to think about. I don't want to sell it to someone local and have them hassle me when they end up with the same issues. Taxes ... Difference in trade-in reduction, or having no trade and purchasing a new vehicle. Over 3k on a 50k purchase. I paid around 800 when I purchased the Wrangler. Is it worth it to sell outright vs a trade? Factor in finding the right person to purchase the vehicle at the price you want.

Good Luck Man!

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChrisMerc87

ChrisMerc87

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Dropped off 21Aug, picked up 24Aug, because of ESS issue.
--Typical scenario - drive 20+ minutes - Start/Stop Service Required message
--Main battery reads anywhere from 14.0 to 14.2
1. I realized they used 6 quarts of oil during my first oil change
2. The ESS Start/Stop Service Required "was a result of too much oil" -signed, my advisor
--My "advisor" was gone when I picked up the Jeep - haven't had time to get back up there
3. Start/Stop Service Required popped back up yesterday - less than 2-weeks after it was at the dealership

<10k miles - currently looking at Labor Day Sales Events - if I don't pull the trigger this weekend, I will wait until the end of the year. I often drive a few hours around Texas for work. I purchased a new Jeep because, well, I've always wanted one. I don't want to worry, nor do I have time to drop off a brand new vehicle at the dealership. With their loaners, they cap daily mileage. I can easily double their total miles for 3-4 days on a day trip for work.

I am bummed because I love the look of the Wrangler. I've sunk a few grand into the Jeep since I've had it. Nothing crazy, no lift, wheels or tires, but a bunch of little things that add up. I'm torn between trading it in and taking a hit, or selling it myself. There are a bunch of variables to think about. I don't want to sell it to someone local and have them hassle me when they end up with the same issues. Taxes ... Difference in trade-in reduction, or having no trade and purchasing a new vehicle. Over 3k on a 50k purchase. I paid around 800 when I purchased the Wrangler. Is it worth it to sell outright vs a trade? Factor in finding the right person to purchase the vehicle at the price you want.

Good Luck Man!
Dang sorry to hear that, i know the human factor at the Service dept can sometimes worsen the situation, as with mine they tinkered around with it for a couple weeks still couldnt narrow it down, until i suggested where the problem may have been. Id suggest messaging Jeep Cares here on the forum and see if they can help with the situation, luckily mine was resolved before they had a chance to intervene.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
I appreciate it.
I’m looking to replace the whole thing.
Sponsored