Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
So can this unit load new apps on it from like the Google Play Store?
Sponsored

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
So can this unit load new apps on it from like the Google Play Store?
I just got the Jeep back tonight after the shop had to update the firmware. I will have to check if that is possible.

So far, I am not as happy as I expected with the sound quality and glitches here and there. But it may be better after the updates. We will see.

On a side note, my front camera comes on automatically every time I start driving from a stop. I think it is after backing up. But it shuts off after about five seconds. Not sure it this is a specific default mode that was added and can be shut off. CarPlay works now though…

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I just got the Jeep back tonight after the shop had to update the firmware. I will have to check if that is possible.

So far, I am not as happy as I expected with the sound quality and glitches here and there. But it may be better after the updates. We will see.

On a side note, my front camera comes on automatically every time I start driving from a stop. I think it is after backing up. But it shuts off after about five seconds. Not sure it this is a specific default mode that was added and can be shut off. CarPlay works now though…
Cool, yeah I'm SO used to my Seicaine 10" in my JK and it fully loads any app and the Power Amp app is amazing as a pre-amp and a giant equalizer that makes things totally customizable. And then the movie playing apps I use for music videos.

G.Lee

First Name
Georgia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I would buy it directly from Stinger, I didn't know that there was other sellers of it.
Bought mine from Stinger at Jeep Invasion. They installed it there. Got it home, Updated twice, found out they were supposed to upgrade the brain. So they set up for a local electronics place to do this, took it in, only they never sent the new brain. Just left the electronics place for the second time after they sent the new module. I have no camera, black screen and intermittent music. This thing has been nothing short of a nightmare. Straight up junk.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Bought mine from Stinger at Jeep Invasion. They installed it there. Got it home, Updated twice, found out they were supposed to upgrade the brain. So they set up for a local electronics place to do this, took it in, only they never sent the new brain. Just left the electronics place for the second time after they sent the new module. I have no camera, black screen and intermittent music. This thing has been nothing short of a nightmare. Straight up junk.
Yep. Another update and still issues. Backup cam has the same delay, which is a pita backing into my driveway from our busy street. Backup cam randomly turns on. BT randomly disconnects for no reason. Backup cam turns on randomly when I signal. Still not happy with the EQ settings available. Expected a lot more for the $$$$$. Lessons learned.

Sponsored

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Shit I might have to look deeper at the alpine at this point. I thought it was more solid a choice than the Insane. But now I don't know

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Shit I might have to look deeper at the alpine at this point. I thought it was more solid a choice than the Insane. But now I don't know
Other than that call volume problem, the unit is 10 times better than the factory units. I changed mine because my radio was stolen, but I don’t miss anything from the factory unit.

G.Lee

First Name
Georgia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Yep. Another update and still issues. Backup cam has the same delay, which is a pita backing into my driveway from our busy street. Backup cam randomly turns on. BT randomly disconnects for no reason. Backup cam turns on randomly when I signal. Still not happy with the EQ settings available. Expected a lot more for the $$$$$. Lessons learned.
I actually was able to get the brain updated and paid for it to be done since I’m still going around with stinger about my refund and then having the unit removed from my vehicle. Worked for two days, right back to the same issue -no back up camera and no signal. Stinger says they are coordinating with a local shop to remove my unit and once that’s down they will refund my money. A week has gone by and hears nothing from them.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
I actually was able to get the brain updated and paid for it to be done since I’m still going around with stinger about my refund and then having the unit removed from my vehicle. Worked for two days, right back to the same issue -no back up camera and no signal. Stinger says they are coordinating with a local shop to remove my unit and once that’s down they will refund my money. A week has gone by and hears nothing from them.
That sucks. Sorry. Mine still has issues cutting out. Not impressed at all. Hopefully this info helps others decide

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Mine is getting installed next week. I decided to purchase it from the installer so I can have another level of warranty between me and the factory. And I support local businesses.

Sponsored

G.Lee

First Name
Georgia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Mine is getting installed next week. I decided to purchase it from the installer so I can have another level of warranty between me and the factory. And I support local businesses.
I purchased mine through Stinger and they installed it. My latest update is, I still have no signal so whatever station I last listened to is stuck, can’t get past the no signal screen and no back up camera. I have to wait until 3/28 to have it removed by Stinger’s rep in my area. The customer service has been terrible considering I bought from them directly and they installed it. I wish you luck. I can’t say one good thing about it at this point. Their warranty hasn’t done squat for me.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I installed a Stinger Heigh10 in my brother's RAM 1500 and he has had no issues. I thought about getting it for mine, but I am happy with the 8.4 Uconnect. I'm glad I decided to stay away from the Stinger because it sounds like it's been nothing but a mess for you guys. Sorry to hear that.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Yeah I'm going to give it a shot, worst case I'll keep my 8.4 and just go back to it later or the new Alpine that's coming out later this month.

I'm cringing over all this back and forth. At lease I steered WAY clear of the Insane Audio nightmare.

G.Lee

First Name
Georgia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Yeah I'm going to give it a shot, worst case I'll keep my 8.4 and just go back to it later or the new Alpine that's coming out later this month.

I'm cringing over all this back and forth. At lease I steered WAY clear of the Insane Audio nightmare.
Please
Tell me about your insane audio experience. I’m curious as that was what I wanted originally.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
My buddy bought one and it was crap from the first fire up. He went back and forth 2 times with replacement units. And he finally bailed out, and went to an Alpine.
Sponsored