Sponsored

Step for 2 Door

turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Hey guys I just bought a new '21 2-door Rubicon, with factory rock slider bars. I'm finding that I wish I had steps to make it easier to reach the roof and my roof box.

Do any of you know if there are aftermarket steps that will install to the factory bars. I know I can get all new bars with steps, but I don't really want to replace both bars. So, just looking for recommendations or knowledge of any aftermarket steps that can be attached.

I found these, but not clear if they will fit on my 2021. http://www.alliedexpedition.com/product/jeep-jk-rubicon-slider-steps/

Jeep Wrangler JL Step for 2 Door bar

image000000.jpg
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Beautiful Jeep.
It's not hard to replace those factory sliders. They are heavier than they look. Look on extremeterrain.com for some affordable options. I went with a Barricuda? slider/step. I'm happy with them.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
Hey guys I just bought a new '21 2-door Rubicon, with factory rock slider bars. I'm finding that I wish I had steps to make it easier to reach the roof and my roof box.

Do any of you know if there are aftermarket steps that will install to the factory bars. I know I can get all new bars with steps, but I don't really want to replace both bars. So, just looking for recommendations or knowledge of any aftermarket steps that can be attached.

I found these, but not clear if they will fit on my 2021. http://www.alliedexpedition.com/product/jeep-jk-rubicon-slider-steps/

Jeep Wrangler JL Step for 2 Door image000000

Jeep Wrangler JL Step for 2 Door image000000

@turbo , I read through the installation instructions for those steps, and it looks like they are specifically made for the JK Rubicon Rock Rails. The mounting points that these steps bolt up to on the JK Rubi Rock Rails are 24" on center. Those same mounting points on the JL Rock Rails are actually 26 1/4" on center.

If you're up for a little DIY, and want to add some side steps on the cheap, you could go the route that I went when I added steps to my JL Rubicon.

I used the Lund, Steel Short Step for Rock Rail (P/N 26410025). They were dirt cheap on Amazon (under $100 Canadian, taxes and shipping included), took about 3 hours total to install from start to finish, and can be removed by undoing 4 bolts per side. Removal takes less than 5 minutes per side now that they're on.

Installation was pretty straight forward;

- Measured and marked out where I wanted the steps
- Drilled 4, 11 mm (7/16") holes into the bottom side of each of the stock Rubi Rock rails
- Installed an M8 Stainless Rivnut into each of the holes I drilled
- Bolted the steps on with the included Grade 8.8 bolts, washers and lock washers

Hope this helps, or at least gives you another option to think about.

IMG_20200411_132130.jpg

IMG_20200411_132144.jpg

IMG_20200411_132241.jpg

IMG_20200609_183735.jpg

Lund Step_5.jpg

Lund Step_8.jpg

Lund Step_9.jpg

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
@BadAssBumbleBee WOW! THANK YOU!! This is exactly what I want to do. I'm going to read thoroughly and follow exactly. Man, thank you very very much.

Glad I could help @turbo

A couple of pieces of advice if you've going this route;

1 - Once you've figured out where you want the steps located, take the Rock Rails off the Jeep to actually drill the holes and install the steps. Much easier than working on your back.

2 - Make sure you drill pilot holes into the Rock rails first, then enlarge those using either a step drill or progressively larger drill bits.

3 - Use a heavy duty Rivnut tool to install the Rivnuts. I used stainless M8 size Rivnuts and my tool wasn't strong enough to compress them, so I had to borrow a heavy duty version from a friend.

4 - Coat the bolts with anti-sieze so you don't run into any issues down the road if you need to pull the steps off.
Sponsored