Door Sill Step or Not to Step?

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
How many of you guys use your door sill as a step? I noticed it is plastic and flexes when I apply pressure (by hand). I'm sure it's supported by metal eventually underneath, but wasn't sure how long it would last if my passengers and myself use it as a step...Curious on your thoughts. Thanks
Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
How many of you guys use your door sill as a step? I noticed it is plastic and flexes when I apply pressure (by hand). I'm sure it's supported by metal eventually underneath, but wasn't sure how long it would last if my passengers and myself use it as a step...Curious on your thoughts. Thanks
That’s one of the reasons I replaced the Rubicon sliders for step type sliders.

OP
OP
DToxic

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Part of my future plans as well!

18BlackJLRU

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4XE Rubicon
I have the Mopar plastic ones on my Sahara JKU and ordered Mopar plastic ones for my upcoming Rubicon JLU. They are worth it in my opinion and show come standard with the Wrangler from the factory

I also ordered the Mopar grab handles since they come with the JL model.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
The plastic steps on the JLUS are OK but if you plan any serious JLURubi off roading you'll probably rip them off in the first mile or less. That's why the Rubicon comes with rock sliders not plastic steps! Even serious off road Sahara's will lose those steps pretty fast.

No matter what have fun!

Go Jeep!!!

Sponsored

CES23702

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
If your talking about sill plates that go inside the door jam i bought these on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0787FZNVC/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1#
If your talking about running board type steps i guess that would depend on what you plan to do with the Jeep. We're going with the Roam Offroad side steps. Our dealer wanted 800 for Mopar sidesteps installed, no thanks.

OP
OP
DToxic

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Yup I mean these door sill guards:

upload_2018-8-6_9-28-49.png

Reason I ask, is because they look great, but it almost begs the passengers to "step on me!"...which I don't think is the best since it's plastic...

CES23702

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
Theyre held on with just some two sided tape and do flex but should be fine. The sill is part of the rocker panel and is plenty strong. I put them on our JL to prevent scratching the sill when feet drag across it getting in and out.

Scott1911

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 Door Unicorn
I am waiting on some that cover and protect the painted metal lip. In the mean time, I applied a sheet of 3M vinyl.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I guess I don't understand... Are you talking about the top arrow or bottom arrow? If you're talking about the bottom, then I'm not sure why you would be worried about stepping on them.

20180806_202123.png

Sponsored

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I dont use it as a step. I had sill covers on my last JK and it was lifted but still didnt use it as a step. However I will get these guards again as to not possibly scratch that area. The wife is short so she uses her side as a step. I’ll probly just vinyl wrap the surrounding areas that are still exposed.

STLYoungblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
The tape is plenty strong to hold, so shouldn't be a concern. It's designed to protect the metal, and that means some flexing is expected as it's absorbing the weight. Go ahead and step. I have it there mostly as a scratch guard and I like the more finished look with doors off.

OP
OP
DToxic

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I guess I don't understand... Are you talking about the top arrow or bottom arrow? If you're talking about the bottom, then I'm not sure why you would be worried about stepping on them.

20180806_202123.png
I’m talking about the bottom part.

When I feel the door sill (without the guard) it flexes easily. Maybe it’s sheet metal? Maybe plastic? Either way the flex made me worry if it would crack after using it as a “step” repeatedly.

Sounds like no one has had an issue yet though! Thank you all for the input

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I’m talking about the bottom part.

When I feel the door sill (without the guard) it flexes easily. Maybe it’s sheet metal? Maybe plastic? Either way the flex made me worry if it would crack after using it as a “step” repeatedly.

Sounds like no one has had an issue yet though! Thank you all for the input
It's sheet metal, just like the body of the jeep. Just like the pinch seam that the vast majority of side steps are mounted to. It will hold your weight.
Sponsored