Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
My ‘19 that grenaded was made in Japan. Want to thank Jeep for converting me back to autos.

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P
I thought that also. But with the right axle ratio, all the transmission ratios have a purpose. The difference between 3.45 and 4.10 with 33's is huge. It went from "what in the hell was FCA thinking", to, "it works great in all the gears."

With 4.10's, our trans ratios seem right on the money. With 3.45 1st was too high, 2nd was too high and with a gap, but too low for the gravel winding hill country we like. 3rd was too high for gravel road curves so you were always down shifting to 2nd which was too low for 30mph in the gravel, it was just WRONG.

With a gear change to 4.10, it all just works. Wife likes it, I like it, it just seems intuitive now. 6th is the freeway gear and it holds hills in the 80 zone just fine, where before it needed a downshift. 5th is the highway gear, good from 60-70. 1st will crawl, and I can get rolling by letting the clutch out with no throttle. Reverse is no longer WAY too high a gear. In short, it works on and off road now, like it should have in the first place.

We haven't had a clutch problem at all, it works just fine also. If we don't like the Stellantis clutch solution, I'll put an ACT in it.
I couldn't agree more. I went from a 22 sport altitude RIP to a 23 Rubi. The 3.45's took some getting used to, I would have lived with it but the 4.10's just fit. If anything 1st is a smidge on the short side, I think BFG 34-5/8's would be just fine.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
4.10's make it bearable, but it isn't ideal. We're getting a 2024 with 4.88's which I've heard really addresses the issue. I haven't driven one with that gear set in it yet. Hoping it's much better
If we'd gone with 35's, I'd have put 4.56 gears in it. It would have been a little shorter overall, which would have been fine. I can see 4.88's for a place that doesn't have 80 mph speed limits, or for larger tires.

Ours is a 2 door, so 35's were as large as we were ever going to go. Turns out a little lift, true 33's, limited slip on both ends and a sway bar disconnect are the sweet spot for us. We're going everywhere we want to go.

I've installed 4.88 gears in an auto with 37" tires, and I think the 4.88 should be the default ratio for 35-38" tires on the 4 door. Enough extra ratios to cover a lot of situations, including taller top gear for freeway.

Deleted member 59498

I thought that also. But with the right axle ratio, all the transmission ratios have a purpose. The difference between 3.45 and 4.10 with 33's is huge. It went from "what in the hell was FCA thinking", to, "it works great in all the gears."

With 4.10's, our trans ratios seem right on the money. With 3.45 1st was too high, 2nd was too high and with a gap, but too low for the gravel winding hill country we like. 3rd was too high for gravel road curves so you were always down shifting to 2nd which was too low for 30mph in the gravel, it was just WRONG.

With a gear change to 4.10, it all just works. Wife likes it, I like it, it just seems intuitive now. 6th is the freeway gear and it holds hills in the 80 zone just fine, where before it needed a downshift. 5th is the highway gear, good from 60-70. 1st will crawl, and I can get rolling by letting the clutch out with no throttle. Reverse is no longer WAY too high a gear. In short, it works on and off road now, like it should have in the first place.

We haven't had a clutch problem at all, it works just fine also. If we don't like the Stellantis clutch solution, I'll put an ACT in it.
This was my experience in my Rubicon, used 6th all the time and gears were just fine. 1st was a bit low but I am sure that was intentional.

If the diesel didn't come out I would for sure still be driving my manual.

Sponsored

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
This was my experience in my Rubicon, used 6th all the time and gears were just fine. 1st was a bit low but I am sure that was intentional.

If the diesel didn't come out I would for sure still be driving my manual.
Bit dangerous to make it work better though. After I put the other shifter in and regeared it, it went from OUR Jeep to HER Jeep (according to my wife). But she lets me drive it she says.

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
2021 JLUR 6-speed here with 37inch KM3s on AEV Salta rims (112lbs a corner), front & rear AEV steel bumpers and tire carrier, Metalcloak Undercloak full skids, trusted axles with iron diff covers.

So not light and carrying pretty good rotational mass.

I can rockcrawl and practically idle up boulders in 4low and 1st gear and on the flip side drop it in 6th gear 50mph and up on the flats down shifting to 5th on hills.

Drives great.

Key is I have 4.88 gears and the high intertia CFII clutch kit. These two add one have been transformative.

This little 3.6 likes to rev. Enjoy rowing the gears and downshift!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Jeep could fix most the manual complaints by installing 4.10s as the standard ration with a manual transmission. The clutch is still not the best, but supposedly that was fixed for 2024.

I ordered my 2013 Sport with a 6 speed and 3.73s (which were an option back then), and I really liked that combo. I was saddened to see that there was a completley different 6 speed and no 3.73s when I was looking for a JL. At least the 8 speed auto is impressive.

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

Another vote for 4.88's on 35 inch tires. Works great, feels right, even at altitude. I've not yet towed my ATV trailer with it, that might change my mind somewhat.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
If we'd gone with 35's, I'd have put 4.56 gears in it. It would have been a little shorter overall, which would have been fine. I can see 4.88's for a place that doesn't have 80 mph speed limits, or for larger tires.

Ours is a 2 door, so 35's were as large as we were ever going to go. Turns out a little lift, true 33's, limited slip on both ends and a sway bar disconnect are the sweet spot for us. We're going everywhere we want to go.

I've installed 4.88 gears in an auto with 37" tires, and I think the 4.88 should be the default ratio for 35-38" tires on the 4 door. Enough extra ratios to cover a lot of situations, including taller top gear for freeway.
You're all convincing me. I might go for 4.56 on 32s in case I ever went to 35s (several years at the earliest). I've previously thought the highway RPMs would be high (right at 2500 RPM @ 70 MPH), but if people in Rubicons cruise at 85 MPH all the time, they're at that RPM or higher anyway...

Sponsored

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
Another vote for 4.88's on 35 inch tires. Works great, feels right, even at altitude. I've not yet towed my ATV trailer with it, that might change my mind somewhat.

Same here, 4.88 gearing on 35" tires and love it for the most part. Going from 2nd to 3rd is still wonky but 6th gear has some guts and I can accelerate pretty nicely. I came from the 4.10 manual combo with 35" tires and very happy I ordered the 4.88 option from the factory on my '23.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Said on my window sticker the transmission was from Japan.
Yes the Window Sticker for my 2023 Rubicon MT show as Japan for the transmission too...

CapeArt

First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Sport S, Porsche 987S, MazdaSpeed Miata

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
CVT for all!
I'm cool with the Jeep brand going all sorts of places I don't care for it to go, but if they ever put a CVT in the Wrangler... I will remove all the badging from my Wrangler and never buy a Jeep brand vehicle ever again.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
5th and 6th ratios are bad that they're quite frankly unusable with stock gearing. Our 2020 gladiator with 4.10s could only use 5th above like 70mph, and 6th was just flat out unusable in all scenarios.

I looked into it once, and 5th gear is higher lower then even 6th gear in the JK transmission. It's horrendous.
I use 5th and 6th often here in Florida. I go into 5th around 60mph and 6th around 70 with stock sport gearing and tires. If I go to 35's I'll get 4.56 gears and figure that I'll get the same/better performance and gear usability.
Sponsored