YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
What type of lube did you use? My steering wheel whines or has a whirring sound when turning the wheel. I just started to notice it.
I used a generic silicone lubricant. But what you’re describing sounds like a different noise. Mine was definitely more of a creaking. I do have a whining noise that happens when I turn, but it’s from the engine bay and I assume it’s something relating to the power steering. It’s done if from day 1 of ownership and I am pretty sure it’s normal.
Sponsored

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S - V6 8AT - 30/44
I used a generic silicone lubricant. But what you’re describing sounds like a different noise. Mine was definitely more of a creaking. I do have a whining noise that happens when I turn, but it’s from the engine bay and I assume it’s something relating to the power steering. It’s done if from day 1 of ownership and I am pretty sure it’s normal.
Ok. Thanks for the clarification on that.

dat1977

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon
My steering wheel starting squeaking at 4700 miles and haven’t yet figured it out. It might drive me crazy.
I took my 2021 wrangler to a dealer in Richmond Virginia and after a couple days of reseach the mechanic found a texhnical bulletin on the creaking noise. The fix was to replace the entire steering column. The creaking noise is gone now.

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
I took my 2021 wrangler to a dealer in Richmond Virginia and after a couple days of reseach the mechanic found a texhnical bulletin on the creaking noise. The fix was to replace the entire steering column. The creaking noise is gone now.
Wow. Thanks for the update

Sponsored

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
Do all of you have a heated steering wheel? Or is this on both with and without?

Rfolsom

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 willys unlimited
Do you have any details about the technical bulletin? I have the same issue.

jurassic3k

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Kia Telluride SX AWD
Mine just started making this noise too....any news on a fix?

Sponsored

TMD78

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back again with JL#3, 2 door Willys
I’m in the same boat, 21 rubicon, seems to be mostly folks with a 21 in this post. its one of those things that is going to drive me crazy, but the thought of taking it in to have the entire steering column replaced makes me pretty nervous, anyone find the TB that addresses this mentioned previously?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What happens if you (engine on, in park), release the steering wheel adjustment lever on the left, move the steering wheel half turn to the right, half turn to the left, back and forth several times while simultaneously moving it up and down, max up, max down. Then lock the lever back to your preferred position and test again. This might not help everyone, but could be something to do as part of troubleshooting if the lever wasn’t fully locked or something caught, rubbing against it.
Sponsored