Sponsored

Steering Damper replacement recall - successful?

otter3591

First Name
Denise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport
I got the alert mentioning I have a recall regarding fixing the Steering Damper.

I have a 2019 Moab. Yes, I used to experience a very unsteady & shaky drive when my tires PSI were high after I bought the car from the lot. Ever since bringing the PSI down, the steering has significantly improved. At high speeds 70mph+, it can get unsteady. But, I rarely ever exceed speeds of 70mph.

I’m not sure if I’ve just adapted to the “loose steering” of the JL, or if it just doesn’t even exist.

My question is, to those who got the steering damper recall, did it help?

Feedback on whether I should even bother getting the damper/stabilizer fixed?

Feedback is appreciated!
Mine was replaced previously after death wobbling, then now replaced again with the newest fix . Time will tell, but I don't have the wobble feeling like I did before .
I got the alert mentioning I have a recall regarding fixing the Steering Damper.

I have a 2019 Moab. Yes, I used to experience a very unsteady & shaky drive when my tires PSI were high after I bought the car from the lot. Ever since bringing the PSI down, the steering has significantly improved. At high speeds 70mph+, it can get unsteady. But, I rarely ever exceed speeds of 70mph.

I’m not sure if I’ve just adapted to the “loose steering” of the JL, or if it just doesn’t even exist.

My question is, to those who got the steering damper recall, did it help?

Feedback on whether I should even bother getting the damper/stabilizer fixed?

Feedback is appreciated!
Sponsored

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
When I was reminded about the recall, mine was already in the shop getting rcv's put in. I forgot about it, but already have a fox 2.0 stabilizer and relocation kit coming in. I didn't really have an issue with the steering to begin with and with this in the mail (stuck at customs)... I'm probably ignoring it.
Plus I'm kind of avoiding the dealership if I can. Wasn't going to do much upgrading until my warranty was up, but after an uphill battle and almost a month without a car that resulted in nothing when trying to get something fixed under warranty... what can I say, it's open season on mods in my eyes.

miranda_majo

First Name
Miranda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 78 Corvette
Mine is at the Dealer right now. I had the Damper replaced in February due to the death wobble, before the recall. It seemed to fix the issues but I rarely go 70+ mph. Ignored the recall at first, then I started to notice if I was going over 50mph and hit a bump a certain way I would get a slight DW. Then last weekend I had it on the highway and was going 75 and got MAJOR DW. Never effects the handling and I never felt unsafe and as if I couldn't control the vehicle. So I was die for an LOF anyway so let it go in for the recall. Went to pick it up last night and the service advisor took it for a road test and said it's still got the wobble big time. So they kept it and I'm waiting to hear. If the recalled part doesn't fix it I don't even know where to go from there :(

Jebb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Then last weekend I had it on the highway and was going 75 and got MAJOR DW. Went to pick it up last night and the service advisor took it for a road test and said it's still got the wobble big time. So they kept it and I'm waiting to hear. If the recalled part doesn't fix it I don't even know where to go from there :(
Where you should "go from there" is to your nearest lawyer! Did the dealer provide a loaner car or are you paying for a vehicle you can't use while they tinker with it?

How many wrecks and/or deaths have to occur before FCA is forced to fix this problem - and why is the NHTSA still allowing these vehicles to be sold? It is a KNOWN problem. The fact that not everyone has this issue indicates a serious "hit and miss" quality issue somewhere. These vehicles are sold to EVERYONE not just rough and tough off-roaders who can handle it. What if "mom or sis" drives it, gets death wobble, panics and crashes?

NHTSA needs to do their job and force FCA to fix this. "We tried" isn't the right answer.

miranda_majo

First Name
Miranda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where you should "go from there" is to your nearest lawyer! Did the dealer provide a loaner car or are you paying for a vehicle you can't use while they tinker with it?

How many wrecks and/or deaths have to occur before FCA is forced to fix this problem - and why is the NHTSA still allowing these vehicles to be sold? It is a KNOWN problem. The fact that not everyone has this issue indicates a serious "hit and miss" quality issue somewhere. These vehicles are sold to EVERYONE not just rough and tough off-roaders who can handle it. What if "mom or sis" drives it, gets death wobble, panics and crashes?

NHTSA needs to do their job and force FCA to fix this. "We tried" isn't the right answer.
Yes I have a loaner.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Mine was fine before and finer afterward.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired

How many ‘wrecks/and or deaths’ have been recorded?

miranda_majo

First Name
Miranda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How many ‘wrecks/and or deaths’ have been recorded?
I was wondering the same thing. Because at no time during any of the "episodes" have I had a hard time controlling the vehicle. I'm not saying they shouldn't fix it, but it's not like I'm flying off the side of the road.

Last edited:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Death Wobble has been around in Jeeps for a very long time. This is not a JL-specific issue. You are aware of that, right?

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Death Wobble has been around in Jeeps for a very long time. This is not a JL-specific issue. You are aware of that, right?
It’s not even Jeep specific, Land Rover series 1, 2 and 3 and all Defender models suffer from DW.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
It’s not even Jeep specific, Land Rover series 1, 2 and 3 and all Defender models suffer from DW.
Hell, even I suffer from Death Wobble at times!

Jebb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Yes, I am aware of that - but how many people who buy these vehicles are? Unsuspecting Sally gets one for her birthday, experiences death wobble on the freeway, panics and crashes. THAT is the issue. Maybe YOU can handle it but not everyone else can.

If the problem has been around a "very long time" maybe these vehicles should not be legal for sale to the general public for use on public streets. Google "Jeep Death Wobble" and 775,000 results come up. That's a big problem.

Last edited:

Jebb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
I was wondering the same thing. Because at no time during any of the "episodes" have I had a hard time controlling the vehicle. I'm not saying they shouldn't fix it, but it's not like I'm flying off the side of the road.
Then how did it get labeled "death wobble"? Why don't they just call it "wheel shimmy"? Because there's a BIG difference between the two! "Death wobble" is caused by an unstable system.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Then how did it get labeled "death wobble"? Why don't they just call it "wheel shimmy"? Because there's a BIG difference between the two! "Death wobble" is caused by an unstable system.
OK then, how many deaths?
Sponsored