Sponsored

Steering damper - Jeep pulling left

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks all - I definitely need to drop my tire pressure then.

Here is the part on my car - wondering if anyone recognizes this as OEM/appropriate.

I had a different dealer redo the recall so it would have had to be done wrong twice, by two different people, for the issue to be caused by the damper. Still, the car is otherwise new so not sure what else it might be, other than tires, which I’ll deflate a bit.

123DADE2-61BA-48EE-BB29-C8C14F6B11F6.jpeg
That's OEM, yes.

Try yanking the stabilizer and see if the pulling goes away.
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@sourdough and @WranglerMan - Are you all suggesting lower tire pressure for off-road performance and steering? Most of my normal driving is on the road, so I'd rather optimize for fuel economy. What would you suggest for on-road driving? Any links to learn more about the chalk test?
i have the 2 door sport and run the stock size tires at 35 psi. my fuel range is anywhere from 17.5 - 19 mpg town and 25 - 29.6 mpg highway. the range does factor in to conditions, weather, traffic, etc.

with your tire pressure at 39 psi will wear out the center treads quicker and your end up buying new tires before getting the full mileage on the set you have now.

the chalk test is simple to do. use a chalk and mark a heavy line across the tire tread. then move the jeep 1 tire rotation so the chalk hits the pavement. look at the chalk mark on the pavement and see if there's a even marking of the chalk. if the center of the chalk is gone then your tires is over inflated. if the chalk is gone on the outside/inside of the tire. then your tires are under inflated.

running the tires at 35 psi will give you the best in mpg, tire life and ride comfort and handling.

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
I'm running 24 psi cold.which heats up to 27 in Florida. It's perfect there on 35s with factory wheel.
3 months old with 8000 miles and perfect tire wear.

OP
OP

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
i have the 2 door sport and run the stock size tires at 35 psi. my fuel range is anywhere from 17.5 - 19 mpg town and 25 - 29.6 mpg highway. the range does factor in to conditions, weather, traffic, etc.

with your tire pressure at 39 psi will wear out the center treads quicker and your end up buying new tires before getting the full mileage on the set you have now.

the chalk test is simple to do. use a chalk and mark a heavy line across the tire tread. then move the jeep 1 tire rotation so the chalk hits the pavement. look at the chalk mark on the pavement and see if there's a even marking of the chalk. if the center of the chalk is gone then your tires is over inflated. if the chalk is gone on the outside/inside of the tire. then your tires are under inflated.

running the tires at 35 psi will give you the best in mpg, tire life and ride comfort and handling.
Thanks - this is really helpful. I'll do this soon.

Sponsored

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
Invest in a “through shaft” design steering stabilizer like the Fox TS or ATS or the Teraflex Falcon Nexus 2.1 or 2.2, they absolutely will not cause pull or push to either side. You get what you pay for with steering stabilizers. Definitely worth going with a good one. Through shaft is the key. I can almost guarantee this will alleviate your pull, if it’s not your alignment or tire pressures. The OEM stabilizers are hit or miss at best.

OP
OP

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Invest in a “through shaft” design steering stabilizer like the Fox TS or ATS or the Teraflex Falcon Nexus 2.1 or 2.2, they absolutely will not cause pull or push to either side. You get what you pay for with steering stabilizers. Definitely worth going with a good one. Through shaft is the key. I can almost guarantee this will alleviate your pull, if it’s not your alignment or tire pressures. The OEM stabilizers are hit or miss at best.
Thanks @BLACKMOAB - It's too bad I'm already in the realm of having to shop for parts just to make the new Jeep functional, but I guess that's the Jeep world...

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
As in, just reaching under, grabbing the part, and moving it back and forth?
Or roll up your sleeves, renew your man card and get under there with tools. Remove it. Go drive around (you won't die). If vehicle no longer pulls, I'd say Sherlock Holmes had some theory on that....

OP
OP

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Ha I'm not sure I ever had my man card to begin with!

I adjusted tire pressure, but I'm still getting the left pull. Considering just taking it off for good.

OP
OP

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Quick follow-up questions folks:

How do steering dampers work technically? I know the result that they make the steering wheel less loose, but what are they actually doing?

I'm still having my issue with the Jeep pulling left, and trying to think through how the steering damper could be causing this. (Side note - I've filled my tires to 36 cold, and only have 4,000 miles on the car, so I've temporarily ruled out tire issues).

Many thanks
Sponsored