• Poll closed .

rhocking

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2.0T JLU Sport S
Sorry to resurrect a slightly old thread. My 2020 just started getting the "Start/stop not ready, battery charging" message. I had been driving for approx an hour with ESS off (mostly stop and go traffic). Seems like the battery would have charged after an hours driving.

I am still under warranty so I am thinking I am better off not using a trickle charger and that it makes more sense to take (fairly new) JL in for dealer to check batteries via warranty. A couple of questions for the more knowledgeable Jeep experts:

Does it make sense not to trickle charge? Could this mask the problem?

and second question
@Gee-pah said:
There's a fix for the 2018's and all subsequent model years have that fix built in such that if the Aux battery is dead, the rig won't start the first time the Aux battery problem is detected, but all subsequent attempts to crank will switch to the main battery while the ESS off light is illuminated on the dash.
I have read a lot of threads about dying ESS battery causing Jeep not to start. I don't want to get stuck. Is it urgent to get this looked at under warranty or can I delay a month or so without worries about getting stuck because my Jeep is a 2020 and should have the fix referenced (such that rig will start if Aux battery is dead)?

For reference my voltage (from what I understand based on shared batteries voltage) after the aforementioned hour of driving was 14.1V

HELP: How urgent is it for me to get this looked at under warranty?
Sponsored

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Sorry to resurrect a slightly old thread. My 2020 just started getting the "Start/stop not ready, battery charging" message. I had been driving for approx an hour with ESS off (mostly stop and go traffic). Seems like the battery would have charged after an hours driving.

I am still under warranty so I am thinking I am better off not using a trickle charger and that it makes more sense to take (fairly new) JL in for dealer to check batteries via warranty. A couple of questions for the more knowledgeable Jeep experts:

Does it make sense not to trickle charge? Could this mask the problem?

and second question
@Gee-pah said:

I have read a lot of threads about dying ESS battery causing Jeep not to start. I don't want to get stuck. Is it urgent to get this looked at under warranty or can I delay a month or so without worries about getting stuck because my Jeep is a 2020 and should have the fix referenced (such that rig will start if Aux battery is dead)?

For reference my voltage (from what I understand based on shared batteries voltage) after the aforementioned hour of driving was 14.1V

HELP: How urgent is it for me to get this looked at under warranty?
I'm going through the same thing (2020 Sport S). I already took it to the dealership last week, and they charged & tested the batteries, changed some module, and flashed the computer. I was told to drive it for a few days so the computer can update. Non of this fixed anything. Bringing it back next Wednesday. From what I understand, your Jeep won't leave you stranded if it's newer than 2019 as the fix is already applied.

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going through the same thing (2020 Sport S). I already took it to the dealership last week, and they charged & tested the batteries, changed some module, and flashed the computer. I was told to drive it for a few days so the computer can update. Non of this fixed anything. Bringing it back next Wednesday. From what I understand, your Jeep won't leave you stranded if it's newer than 2019 as the fix is already applied.
Just took mine in yesterday. ESS stopped working, which alone is not a big deal. But it's under warranty and I didn't want to get stuck out in the desert with a dead main battery too.

Happy to report that, without even questioning it, dealer replace BOTH batteries for me. No cost.
I'm happy with Jeep, and my dealer. :)

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Just took mine in yesterday. ESS stopped working, which alone is not a big deal. But it's under warranty and I didn't want to get stuck out in the desert with a dead main battery too.

Happy to report that, without even questioning it, dealer replace BOTH batteries for me. No cost.
I'm happy with Jeep, and my dealer. :)
Whelp, I'm back in the dealership shop since yesterday morning. The service advisor called me late yesterday afternoon and said "the batteries tested good but the ESS is still saying not ready battery charging, and then tried to blame me because I have an ARB compressor installed. I informed him that it's not connected, and he kept my Jeep overnight to charge the batteries. @JeepCares Can you help with this? Not that I'm in love with the ESS, But a $40000.00 1 1/2 year old Jeep should not have these issues, and if they do the dealer should address them properly and quickly, and not put the blame on the owner!

Update: Just got a call from the Dealership Shop, and was told they're replacing the Aux. Battery, but are keeping it ANOTHER Night to charge the battery. Sounds good! But I have my suspicions with this dealership.

Last edited:

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
Good idea on the tender. Not sure if the JL/JT accept charging through cig lighter though, which is how my tender for my Porsche works.
Yes, it can be charged through the 12V outlet with the same CTEK your Porsche uses. Make sure to use the one in the trunk since that 12V outlet is always on unlike the one in the front, which requires the ignition to be on.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Yes, it can be charged through the 12V outlet with the same CTEK your Porsche uses. Make sure to use the one in the trunk since that 12V outlet is always on unlike the one in the front, which requires the ignition to be on.
@Agent47

Actually the rear, 12v receptacle could be on all the time or ignition switched.

Should be on all the time as that seems to be what the JL leaves the factory set at.... but again could be either or as I mentioned.

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Whelp, I'm back in the dealership shop since yesterday morning. The service advisor called me late yesterday afternoon and said "the batteries tested good but the ESS is still saying not ready battery charging, and then tried to blame me because I have an ARB compressor installed. I informed him that it's not connected, and he kept my Jeep overnight to charge the batteries. @JeepCares Can you help with this? Not that I'm in love with the ESS, But a $40000.00 1 1/2 year old Jeep should not have these issues, and if they do the dealer should address them properly and quickly, and not put the blame on the owner!

Update: Just got a call from the Dealership Shop, and was told they're replacing the Aux. Battery, but are keeping it ANOTHER Night to charge the battery. Sounds good! But I have my suspicions with this dealership.
A good dealership makes all the difference.

I would hope that Jeep corporate keeps track of issues like this and makes sure that the customers are happy. A bad experience will sour the relationship for ALL of Jeep if they're not carefull.

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
@Agent47

Actually the rear, 12v receptacle could be on all the time or ignition switched.

Should be on all the time as that seems to be what the JL leaves the factory set at.... but again could be either or as I mentioned.
I just checked the menus on my 8.4" but didn't see any available settings for the 12V outlet in the trunk. The cover for that outlet has a battery symbol printed on it whereas the one in the front has a key symbol on the cover. Where do you see the toggle for this setting?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Hello, the following is my ongoing saga with my ESS system not working:

I took it to the dealership October 26th, and they charged & tested the batteries, changed some module, and flashed the computer. I was told to drive it for a few days so the computer can update. Non of this fixed anything. Bringing it back November 10th Wednesday.

Whelp, I'm back in the dealership shop since yesterday morning. The service advisor called me late yesterday afternoon and said "the batteries tested good but the ESS is still saying not ready battery charging, and then tried to blame me because I have an ARB compressor installed. I informed him that it's not even connected, and he kept my Jeep overnight to charge the batteries. @JeepCares Can you help with this? Not that I'm in love with the ESS, But a $40000.00 1 1/2 year old Jeep should not have these issues, and if they do the dealer should address them properly and quickly, and not put the blame on the owner!

It's now Friday 11/12/21. I missed a call from the service advisor @ Cutter Jeep in Honolulu (Harrold Nakashima), He asked me to return his call, and I did within 5min. I have been trying to reach him for over an hour and a half. I understand getting busy, as I do too, but 1 1/2hours? So far he has told me that the batteries won't maintain a charge, but refuses to replace them because their test equipment says there good. I feel they're probably not isolating the two batteries as instructed to do in the Service Manuel, and that is why. Could you please help me with this?

Update: I just got a call from the Service advisor (Harrold) who is once again putting the blame on me because I have LED underhood lights....They are on a Switch and dont draw ANY Power if OFF!!!! And so little when on, it would not cause a drain.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Hello, the following is my ongoing saga with my ESS system not working:

I took it to the dealership October 26th, and they charged & tested the batteries, changed some module, and flashed the computer. I was told to drive it for a few days so the computer can update. Non of this fixed anything. Bringing it back November 10th Wednesday.

Whelp, I'm back in the dealership shop since yesterday morning. The service advisor called me late yesterday afternoon and said "the batteries tested good but the ESS is still saying not ready battery charging, and then tried to blame me because I have an ARB compressor installed. I informed him that it's not even connected, and he kept my Jeep overnight to charge the batteries. @JeepCares Can you help with this? Not that I'm in love with the ESS, But a $40000.00 1 1/2 year old Jeep should not have these issues, and if they do the dealer should address them properly and quickly, and not put the blame on the owner!

It's now Friday 11/12/21. I missed a call from the service advisor @ Cutter Jeep in Honolulu (Harrold Nakashima), He asked me to return his call, and I did within 5min. I have been trying to reach him for over an hour and a half. I understand getting busy, as I do too, but 1 1/2hours? So far he has told me that the batteries won't maintain a charge, but refuses to replace them because their test equipment says there good. I feel they're probably not isolating the two batteries as instructed to do in the Service Manuel, and that is why. Could you please help me with this?

Update: I just got a call from the Service advisor (Harrold) who is once again putting the blame on me because I have LED underhood lights....They are on a Switch and dont draw ANY Power if OFF!!!! And so little when on, it would not cause a drain.
Take your Jeep home and replace the damn batteries.

rhocking

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2.0T JLU Sport S
Update on my ESS "Not Ready Battery Charging" message...Took it into the dealer. Dealer noted, "Remote starter system - Test and Replace Relay". Other notes indicated, "Hooked up GR8 to Main Battery. Battery Passed" and "Hooked up Small Battery to GR8. Small Battery Passed". I assume GR8 is some kind of load tester.

Good news is that Start/Stop is now engaging and no more "Not Ready Battery Charging" message.

The trickle charger is fine to connect to only the main battery, as it's connected to the ESS battery when the vehicle is parked, allowing the trickle charger to top off both batteries.
Question in regards to trickle charging, since I do mostly small trips now due to COVID, and it seems like trickle charging is recommended. I have an old (at least 15 years old) Schumacher Battery Charge. It has 50A mode, 30A mode and a 10A Battery Charge mode. I seem to remember reading that you should not use old battery chargers on newer AGM batteries. Three questions:
Can I use this charger to start (I suspect the answer is No)?
Can I use it to trickle charge (10A seems a lot for a trickle charge)?
Any recommendations on a good charger (Noco Genius 5 or 10)?

1Placerville

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Same problem. Mine has 12k on it and just hit 2 yrs old. I live not to far away from the Rubicon and the dealer here said they see this issue a lot. Tested my battery and had a shorted cell. Replaced battery and out the door under warranty. No issue since.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
  • Some people wrote, concerned about not being able to start their JL's if the ESS battery lacks charge. As they own 2020's they need not worry. Upon their second attempt to crank, the vehicle will attempt to start solely off of the main battery, and if successful, turn off ESS (telling you so in the EVIC with an indicator light).

The next engine crank after the ESS battery has been replaced/charged/bypassed** will turn the indicator light off and return the vehicle to its standard cranking algorithm.

Only some 2018 JLs will get stranded, but not those who get the TSB.

** Those who want to know about bypass, from the simpler jumpered fuse to all out rewiring best look up member Jebiruph's posts on this.

• I am of the opinion that while many problems do stem from a bad ESS battery, that given the way ESS was designed by Stellantis, owners who tend to drive shorter trips, less frequently, and in colder climates, will need to trickle charge their batteries while the vehicle's parked, to keep ESS working.

The trickle charger is fine to connect to only the main battery, as it's connected to the ESS battery when the vehicle is parked, allowing the trickle charger to top off both batteries.
No biggie - but just to clarify for those planning to confirm that your JL will for sure start on the second press after your aux neg lead is reconnected - The next engine crank after the aux battery has been replaced/charged/bypassed ** will NOT turn off the indicator light off.

For our 2018 anyways. May be different for other JLs. Everything still works but your ESS will not. Fortunately for us we prefer the ESS off so are ok with the no ESS available prompt and ESS problem light. Just came back from my dealer and they made no mention of this after approving more work on an updated TSB after scanning codes. You apparently can clear this problem code with an OBD or possibly disconnect both batteries and let them sit for 15 minutes - or add additional bypass devices - but we have never tried. Others may chime in on their firsthand methods that work for them.

For the trickle charger question - we always smart charge each battery separately because they are connected in parallel - yet are dissimilar in size/amp-hr rating/cranking power etc. Can charge together yes - but is just not optimal. Plenty of links are available if searched on the web.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...y-battery-charging.33802/page-21#post-1718501

My take is you should keep each battery topped up separately and good to go - since many have needed to replace one or both of their JL batteries after only one year or less. Ours is a 2018 and still going strong. So it seems that the varied voltage parallel charging by the alternator may be helping to exacerbate the early demise of the batteries. Speculation yes - but is definitely very wrong to ever connect and charge dissimilar batteries in parallel ever. You take your chances and roll the dice with Stellantis sometimes. Haha! Anyways ymmv. Like always.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
I'm sorry @BRuby that your results were different than mine, but on my 3.6L 2018 JL the first cold crank after the ESS battery's power is detected by the vehicle to be adequate automatically restored the vehicle to normal, turning off the no ESS available diagnostic light in the EVIC. I personally tried and witnessed this numerous times.

Not all JLs are the same or have the same TSB's applied to them, so I don't think this is a case of either of us being "right of wrong" per se.
Yep no problemo. Just letting it be known especially to noobs that the Start Stop Disabled Diagnostic Light is not removed in all cases once the aux battery is reconnected again after confirming the JL will start under main alone. That was the ymmv comment previously posted.

For dissimilar battery charging in parallel will agree to disagree on that. Could not find any link from any battery manufacturer that recommends or even slightly advocates charging them in parallel. None. Again ymmv on this. If you can find a link please post here. Thx

I have noted many times charging separately is a 100% PITA. But has been always recommended in the many various web links I have referred to in the past.

Do fully appreciate that most will not ever do this. And really - am 100% perfectly ok with that. Just sayin’ is all. Certainly not advocating this or that. Just another opinion and approach is all. Certainly not purist. Just what we do. And maybe a few others.
Sponsored