Sponsored

Start/Stop Not Ready - Battery Charging?

OP
OP

mppsu2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
I had the exact same issues. The dealership changed out the "Intelligent Battery Sensor". It still acted up, until I did a long Trickle charge, when I was out of town, for a week.
Now the ESS is working well, and is just as annoying as when the Jeep was new. No new batteries were needed, like most here seem to think are needed.
thanks...

not exactly sure how to do a trickle charge. What is needed?
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
thanks...

Connection to 110V A/C and something like this:

https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-Tender-6V-12V-3A-Selectable-Battery-Charger_7

guidance on same (you don't need to be this fancy):

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...arger-mount-inlet-install-lots-of-pics.44466/

I recommend doing this and this above unit, although there are many good ones. I do it. I am disappointed I have to: I wish FCA had designed the ESS system better, but it does work.

Or a solar trickle charger.

Many solar chargers come with cigarette plug adapters. I don't think you will have much success, if you go this route, plugging it into the cigarette light plug in the dash as this plug is unenergized when the vehicle is off, and I suspect any energy produced by the solar panel will not reach the battery this way.

If your JL is equipped with one of these plugs in the cargo area, it, by factory default is always on. With a cigarette plug extension cord you can reach it from the solar panel which usually sits in the dash.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
thanks...

Connection to 110V A/C and something like this:

https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-Tender-6V-12V-3A-Selectable-Battery-Charger_7

guidance on same (you don't need to be this fancy):

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...arger-mount-inlet-install-lots-of-pics.44466/

I recommend doing this and this above unit, although there are many good ones. I do it. I am disappointed I have to: I wish FCA had designed the ESS system better, but it does work.

Or a solar trickle charger.

Many solar chargers come with cigarette plug adapters. I don't think you will have much success, if you go this route, plugging it into the cigarette light plug in the dash as this plug is unenergized when the vehicle is off, and I suspect any energy produced by the solar panel will not reach the battery this way.

If your JL is equipped with one of these plugs in the cargo area, it, by factory default is always on. With a cigarette plug extension cord you can reach it from the solar panel which usually sits in the dash.

This is the one I bought. I use it on my truck, with duel batteries too. It will automatically regulate and shut the charge down, when finished.

BMK 12V 5A Smart Battery Charger Portable Battery Maintainer with Detachable Alligator Rings Clips Fast Charging Trickle Charger for Car Boat Lawn Mower Marine Sealed Lead Acid Battery

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Ugggh the car spent 8 hours at the dealership on Friday and they replaced the battery censor. The ESS worked for 2 days and now I got the battery charging message again, followed by a service start/stop message. Just like last time the service message went away after a restart but the battery charging message remains.

pretty annoyed by this, all for a feature I donā€™t even like using.
Hi mppsu2003, sorry about that! If you'd like additional support while working alongside your Jeep dealer to get this fixed, please feel free to send us a private message with your current mileage, make, and model. Thanks! ^CM

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Buy once cry once and be done, this will solve all your power needs, not necessary but I use a NOCO 10 for weekly topoffs and then break out the big guns for a monthly recondition using the Odyssey and running two full size batteries will give you all the power you need to run pretty much anything

Jeep Wrangler JL Start/Stop Not Ready - Battery Charging? 0BDC9AA4-31FF-402B-B57C-8F1B17D1AACC
Jeep Wrangler JL Start/Stop Not Ready - Battery Charging? 9700A77D-7267-4587-B855-12158F9448EF
Jeep Wrangler JL Start/Stop Not Ready - Battery Charging? 3FDDFB7E-EC12-4B77-98E0-53BBE9615E3B
Jeep Wrangler JL Start/Stop Not Ready - Battery Charging? D6BDA769-66C4-415C-A7BA-60AEB9CC1AFD

Sponsored

OP
OP

mppsu2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
So mine worked again on Friday but not yesterday. Came back on today after high way driving and then stopped when I started again. I did test the main battery voltage and itā€™s okay.

any chance this could be just due to cold weather? I didnā€™t have these issues at all last year. Wondering if maybe driving a bit is needed in general to trigger the ESS

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
So mine worked again on Friday but not yesterday. Came back on today after high way driving and then stopped when I started again. I did test the main battery voltage and itā€™s okay.

any chance this could be just due to cold weather? I didnā€™t have these issues at all last year. Wondering if maybe driving a bit is needed in general to trigger the ESS
Could an inherently temperamental design have its problems exacerbated by cold weather, where battery voltages drop and it's harder to get current into them...

I'd expect nothing less. ;)

It shouldn't have to be, but it may be the case that putting your JL on a trickle charger when parked at home, not unlike EMS workers plug the ambulance or fire truck in electrically when at rest may need to be what you need to do to reliably get ESS.

It was for me--especially since my JL sees so little use in COVID and my dash camera draws 4.5W/hour from it while in parking mode.

You alternator, being intelligent is "ramming" power into those batteries based upon their (lack of) voltage, while they are warmer no less from engine heat, (and better suitable to accept charge) than a 3 amp trickle charger.

Curious. Get into the rig, and press the starter twice--no brake. Switch the console to read voltage. What is it?

Now crank the engine and read the voltage again. What is it? And by the way, the higher it is now, the more the rig thinks it needs to pump energy into your batteries.

Anibal

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon 2.0 Ano 2021
My Wrangler 2.0 year 2019 is with 32,000 miles, with 16 months of use. The start/stop stopped working with warnings that the battery was charging. Last week I changed the main battery through the vehicle warranty. The important thing is that the battery is a GMO type and is not less than 65 A and neither CCA below 650 Ah. The designed start/stop system to stop acting when the battery is not charged enough is smart, but has something that needs to be improved so that in such a short time the battery does not support its full function. Now let's see how long this new battery will support the start/stop.
Sponsored