PinoyPinay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Software Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody have this on their JLUR...bought mine in july 2019, and recently been contacted by them to go back to my dealership and get this activated and registered. Does this cost extra money, if so, how much? Is it worth it (or can it be removed)?

Thanks in Advance.
Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Anybody have this on their JLUR...bought mine in july 2019, and recently been contacted by them to go back to my dealership and get this activated and registered. Does this cost extra money, if so, how much? Is it worth it (or can it be removed)?

Thanks in Advance.
If you have factory GPS, this sounds scammy. You shouldn’t have to go back to activate anything. Update, maybe, but that’s not a company I’ve heard of. Did you get something aftermarket?

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I'd rather have good insurance on my $50k vehicle than trust some company to locate it and recover its parts.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
It's a competitor to Lojack.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PinoyPinay

PinoyPinay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
Vehicle Showcase
thanks all...next time I go to the dealer for oil change, I will let them know not to activate/register the thing...and will ask them to remove it or something if it's already installed...will update you guys.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
thanks all...next time I go to the dealer for oil change, I will let them know not to activate/register the thing...and will ask them to remove it or something if it's already installed...will update you guys.

My guess is if you look up at the OBD2 port you will see they have it connected right before it. It will then be zip tied up behind the dash.

Dealers are getting them installed so they can text you and remind you of service etc. It helps them retain more of the maintenance money. Personally the last thing I would want is my vehicle telling my dealer everything my vehicle does.

OP
OP
PinoyPinay

PinoyPinay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is if you look up at the OBD2 port you will see they have it connected right before it. It will then be zip tied up behind the dash.

Dealers are getting them installed so they can text you and remind you of service etc. It helps them retain more of the maintenance money. Personally the last thing I would want is my vehicle telling my dealer everything my vehicle does.
Will do...by the way on another thread (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/beeping-when-turning-on-jlur.12998/page-3) , I took my jeep to my dealer for an annoying alarm (siren) every time I start the engine. Come to find out another dealer (from where the jeep came from) installed a GPS tracking mechanism, which was removed when i brought it in (with my complaint). It's just weird that there might be another one (it wasn't aftermarket, it came with the jeep brand new, assuming there is one).

On another note, I have this sticker (See below) all over my jeep...I guess another means to trace the vehicle (after it's been parted).

20190828_214320a.jpg

OP
OP
PinoyPinay

PinoyPinay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
Vehicle Showcase
For Reference...here's a screenshot of the email I got from them... I know they got my email from the dealership, because they also texted me to setup an appointment.

Untitled.png

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Will do...by the way on another thread (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/beeping-when-turning-on-jlur.12998/page-3) , I took my jeep to my dealer for an annoying alarm (siren) every time I start the engine. Come to find out another dealer (from where the jeep came from) installed a GPS tracking mechanism, which was removed when i brought it in (with my complaint). It's just weird that there might be another one (it wasn't aftermarket, it came with the jeep brand new, assuming there is one).

On another note, I have this sticker (See below) all over my jeep...I guess another means to trace the vehicle (after it's been parted).

20190828_214320a.jpg
This is something they add I think it’s called foot prints. It’s another way dealers try to mark up shit in finance saying it was a dealer installed item. I never ever ever accept paying for extras I didn’t ask for.

Sponsored

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
This is something they add I think it’s called foot prints. It’s another way dealers try to mark up shit in finance saying it was a dealer installed item. I never ever ever accept paying for extras I didn’t ask for.
Like VIN etching. LOL.
Sponsored