Stabilizer setting and shimmying

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
So after a few months now with the Jeep driving good I finally decided to install the relocation stuff I had sitting around for the Fox ATS stabilizer. I used the Steer smarts bracket on the axel and a 1.75 tie rod clamp from TMR customs. I installed everything and took it for a ride, not really any difference. For the hell of it I clicked the stabilizer up 4 notches, I think that ended up around 12......holly crap the thing drove like crap! Steering wheel was all over the place on every little bump, seriously though it was going to go into full on death wobble. Drove the same rout 3-4 times and it did it every time. Changed it back to the original setting and did the same ride......gone, back to the way it was. I can’t believe this thing is that sensitive.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So after a few months now with the Jeep driving good I finally decided to install the relocation stuff I had sitting around for the Fox ATS stabilizer. I used the Steer smarts bracket on the axel and a 1.75 tie rod clamp from TMR customs. I installed everything and took it for a ride, not really any difference. For the hell of it I clicked the stabilizer up 4 notches, I think that ended up around 12......holly crap the thing drove like crap! Steering wheel was all over the place on every little bump, seriously though it was going to go into full on death wobble. Drove the same rout 3-4 times and it did it every time. Changed it back to the original setting and did the same ride......gone, back to the way it was. I can’t believe this thing is that sensitive.
Mine is on the stiffest setting (24th click) and drives like a dream.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I wonder if your Fox ATS is defective or mis-valved. I wonder if you sent it in for service if they would find an issue with it, although you have already thrown a ton of money at this problem. Mine is at 14 and doesn't do this although it is just too stiff and increases bump steer if I go above around 17 or 18.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Mine is on the stiffest setting (24th click) and drives like a dream.
Is yours in the stock location? I had mine turned up quite a bit in the stock location and never had an issue either.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I wonder if your Fox ATS is defective or mis-valved. I wonder if you sent it in for service if they would find an issue with it, although you have already thrown a ton of money at this problem. Mine is at 14 and doesn't do this although it is just too stiff and increases bump steer if I go above around 17 or 18.
Where is yours located? Stock location or raised? In the stock location I had it maxed at one point. Wheel return sucked, where I have had it it was as stiff as I could get it and keep good wheel return.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Where is yours located? Stock location or raised? In the stock location I had it maxed at one point. Wheel return sucked, where I have had it it was as stiff as I could get it and keep good wheel return.
I'm using the Synergy track bar bolt at one end and clamp on the tie rod, so not stock but not raised.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I'm using the Synergy track bar bolt at one end and clamp on the tie rod, so not stock but not raised.
I have the steer smart bracket and a tie rod clamp. So basically the same position as yours.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Edit: I guess it is raised, I haven't seen the stock location in so long I forgot what it looked like, lol
Trust me I forgot what a lot of stuff looked like stock on this thing! LOL!

Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I think I'll just stick with the stock steering stabilizer. Doesn't seem like these adjustable ones add that much value. I finally added my dynatrac ball joints and death wobble isn't even in my mind anymore!

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I have the steer smart bracket and a tie rod clamp. So basically the same position as yours.
I wonder if there's something with the "angle of the dangle", it appears the steer smarts bracket puts the tack bar side of the stabilizer a little higher than the extended track bar bolt, not a lot, but a little bit different.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I think I'll just stick with the stock steering stabilizer. Doesn't seem like these adjustable ones add that much value. I finally added my dynatrac ball joints and death wobble isn't even in my mind anymore!
Prior to today it was driving great. Honestly if I didn’t have it already I probably wouldn’t bother with it.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Prior to today it was driving great. Honestly if I didn’t have it already I probably wouldn’t bother with it.
I’m also using synergy track bar bolt, on 17 clicks, works great. If I try and go any stiffer, it doesn’t play well with my caster , a little over 6 deg.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I'm going to slightly disagree with this, the Fox ATS made my Jeep steer like a completely different vehicle, for the better. More so than any of the other aftermarket steering components I have added. I think the benefit may vary based on your complete steering/suspension/tires/wheels setup though looking at some other peoples experience with them (good and bad). Now are they worth what you pay for them, IMO no, but I honestly don't think any one thing I have bought for the Jeep is "worth" what I've paid for it, that's just the nature of the hobby though. I actually thinking about buying a second one so I don't have to go without when I send this one in for a rebuild every couple of years.
Sponsored