Metalcloak Caster Setting

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I am planning on installing a 3.5" Gamechanger this weekend. When setting my caster is it more important to dial in each side individually by caster or to keep both arms the same length. For example if I have the control arms both set to the same length and on side has a caster of 6.2 and the other is 6.7, would it be better to leave the arms the same length or just adjust one arm to try to get the numbers closer together?
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I am planning on installing a 3.5" Gamechanger this weekend. When setting my caster is it more important to dial in each side individually by caster or to keep both arms the same length. For example if I have the control arms both set to the same length and on side has a caster of 6.2 and the other is 6.7, would it be better to leave the arms the same length or just adjust one arm to try to get the numbers closer together?
I think it’s more important to keep the arms the same length, that’s just my opinion, I like keeping everything squared up. A lot of guys run a little higher caster on the passenger side to help with the crown in the road wanting to pull you to the right a little.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I set them to the MC specs exactly and it’s always spot on. When you measure them, orientent them the exact way with the bends matching. Make sure the measurements are right on the money then loosely tighten the jamb nut so they don’t move. They will make sense which goes where when you line them up with the offset heads. Tighten the control arm hardware in the rear (uppers) before doing your bump stops.

We do control arms first on the ground or 4 post lift for us with the weight on the vehicle. You can use a jack to help adjust the pinion angle to get them lined up with the already measured control arms. Adjust the Jeep not the control arms once meansured.

Check out RKs x-factor lengths for the track bars to get you close

Brett

OP
OP
SilverRubi

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I set them to the MC specs exactly and it’s always spot on. When you measure them, orientent them the exact way with the bends matching. Make sure the measurements are right on the money then loosely tighten the jamb nut so they don’t move. They will make sense which goes where when you line them up with the offset heads. Tighten the control arm hardware in the rear (uppers) before doing your bump stops.

We do control arms first on the ground or 4 post lift for us with the weight on the vehicle. You can use a jack to help adjust the pinion angle to get them lined up with the already measured control arms. Adjust the Jeep not the control arms once meansured.

Check out RKs x-factor lengths for the track bars to get you close

Brett
So you recomend going of the RK lengths vs Metalcloaks? I have a lift I'll be using to do the install so that should make things a little easier. So you install the control arms before spring and shocks?

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So you recomend going of the RK lengths vs Metalcloaks? I have a lift I'll be using to do the install so that should make things a little easier. So you install the control arms before spring and shocks?
I think what he is saying is to use the RK listed lengths for the TRACKBARS, install them, and adjust from there. The metalcloak install instructions give you lengths for the control arms but not the trackbars.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SilverRubi

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Oop. Missed where he said trackbar. I was getting my wheels and tires mounted. I was a little distracted. 37x12.50s. There's no rubbing driving on the street.

20191206_164144.jpg

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
They are both good. The RK focuses more on lengthening the LCA and MC shortens the UCA. Both work but I prefer to match the lengths with the brands and adjust as needed.

I think what he is saying is to use the RK listed lengths for the TRACKBARS, install them, and adjust from there. The metalcloak install instructions give you lengths for the control arms but not the trackbars.
Exactly, MC doesn’t list starting trackbar lenghts so you can read the RK ones. They are pretty close

Oop. Missed where he said trackbar. I was getting my wheels and tires mounted. I was a little distracted. 37x12.50s. There's no rubbing driving on the street.

20191206_164144.jpg
Looks good!

Brett

OP
OP
SilverRubi

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'm going to have to drive around on the 37s with no lift until next weekend. The shipment got delayed so it won't show up until Monday. The best part is it's about 15 minutes away from me at the UPS hub. Haha

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
I think you will find that any difference in caster from side-to-side, on a solid front axle, is set when the axle is welded up at the factory. The only way to change the "king pin angle" is via off-set ball joints ... not sure any are available for the JL.
Sponsored