Squeal when starting JL?! **UPDATE NEW PROBLEM**

Student JL

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
Hi everyone! I just purchased my JL two days ago (02/13/18) and everything was perfect with the vehicle until I noticed something today. When I pushed the start button (I had my driver door open) I heard a brief "squeal" noise coming from the car when it started up. This noise doesn't occur every single time I start the Jeep, but randomly. To elaborate, it's a brief squeal/squeak noise when I start the wrangler and there are no other issues. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and what could be causing this on a brand new vehicle (currently 287 miles).
Thanks

UPDATE: So currently it's been pouring raining all day and I find a leak coming from where the rearview mirror is attached. Honestly, I have no clue what to do at this point. First the squealing and now this. I'm waiting for the manager at my Jeep dealer to contact me back.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I swear I heard that today!

OP
OP

Student JL

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have an appointment with the dealer scheduled for next week. My first instinct was the belt as well.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Does it do it at a light as well with the ESS?

Sponsored

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Basic DIY mechanical knowledge tells me it’s a belt, at least that’d be my first thought

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Not today with remote start either. And never with ess

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Same hear (pun intended). Bought my JL Sahara with 34 miles on it and that night I heard the squeal. It's very intermittent and I've only heard it when I use the push button start. May guess is the belt but I was going to mention it to the deal next time I'm in.

Side note - I despise the auto shut off/start up. I'd like to punch the engineer who decided that you have to set it to off every time you start the car vs. a permanent solution. It may "save" gas but I say it's hell on the engine and starter.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Student JL

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Has anyone heard anything from their dealer service department regarding this issue so I can know what to expect when I bring it in?

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
I have not heard it again , (if I even heard it the first time ...) This forum will make you paranoid!