Speaker Upgrade (Plug and Play)

tpva_22

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Just finished swapping out the factory Wrangler JL speakers for a Kicker speaker upgrade. No amp, just a quick and easy replacement of the OEM speakers to the factory head unit ...and they sound great.

Total time is 45-60 minutes (about 5-10 mins per speaker). I changed the 2 dash corner speakers and 4 soundbar speakers but left the knee speakers alone.

With the Metra cables this was 100% plug and play. I went with the 4 inch Kicker KS speakers for the soundbar since it comes with a mounting bracket that perfectly fits the Wrangler JL (and it's their premium speaker). Then, I used the 3.5 inch Kicker CS speakers for the corner dash and soundbar because they do not require crossovers and fit perfectly (note: the 3.5 inch KS model requires crossover wiring and is a pain, so that's the main reason I went with the CS 3.5 inch models).

Added poly-fil ($5 bag from Walmart) and had almost the entire bag left over. You probably only need 4 ounces of it.

These speakers sound great and are much louder and crisper than the stock speakers. They are punchy, but not a lot of low bass. Good mid bass sound with clarity. I turned the treble to -3 to reduce the bright sound. Added a pic of the equalizer setting that I thought sounded best.

Overall, if you want better sound without an expensive professional upgrade (amp, sub, etc.) then I recommend these for fit, ease of install, price, and sound.

They sell these on Amazon but I went with Crutchfield since they included the plug n' play Metra cables for free (need to talk with agent on chat or phone). Overall, $160 total price for everything. Great price for new upgraded sound.

The Crutchfield site (and other sites) say these speakers don't fit but they do! I think the dimensions might be off by like 1/18 of an inch or something and their system doesn't tag it as an "official fit". There are several YouTube videos of others installs as well as my pics here.

Here's the speakers and cables:
(1 pair) Kicker 47KSC404 4" speaker (for soundbar)
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20647KSC40/Kicker-47KSC404.html

(2 pairs) Kicker 46CSC354 3.5" speakers (for the front corner dash and soundbar)
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CC354/Kicker-46CSC354.html

(1) Metra 72-6514 Speaker Wiring Harness (for the 4" KS soundbar speakers)
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120726514/Metra-72-6514-Speaker-Wiring-Harness.html

(2) Metra 72-7902 Speaker Wiring Adapters (for the 3.5" dash and sounbar speakers).
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120727902/Metra-72-7902-Speaker-Wiring-Adapters.html

(1) bag of Poly-fil for sound barrier (optional)

Jeep Wrangler JL Speaker Upgrade (Plug and Play) 20221129_142556

Jeep Wrangler JL Speaker Upgrade (Plug and Play) 20221130_134934

Jeep Wrangler JL Speaker Upgrade (Plug and Play) 20221130_135416

Jeep Wrangler JL Speaker Upgrade (Plug and Play) 20221130_134047
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
Nice Job!

I’ve started doing my speaker upgrades and went with JBL “CLUB” series 3 1/2 in front and I’ll have the JBL 6x9 speakers coming today.

Weather turned over the other day so this retro-fit of the sound bar will have to wait till it’s at least 50 degrees out for me. I have to get the install kit also from Crutchfield too.

I used to be much more critical of speakers and such, but I’m probably less than a year away from hearing aids…….UGH!

OP
OP
tpva_22

tpva_22

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Nice. Yeah, I didn't want to go with the 6.5 inch since it involves cutting new holes and getting brackets. Maybe in my younger days too lol. So I went with the plug and play option. Maybe I'll get an amp one day or a new head unit with amp built in. Current setup seems to have plenty of power/sound.

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Thanks for the info! I'm interested to see if anyone with the 8.4 & Alpine have done something similar. Everything I've read is that the Alpine "speakers" are the same as the OEM, it's just the AMP/Head Unit/Sub that's additional

OP
OP
tpva_22

tpva_22

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
I've seen people with the Alpine system upgrade to these speakers and liked the results. The Alpine provides plenty of power so upgrading to these would sound even better.

Sponsored

bonniejf

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
This may be a stupid question... where did you add the poly-fill? In the cavity above the speakers in the sound bar? I have installed alpine speakers to replace the basic ones in my sport and it has been a HUGE improvement and I don't even have the knee ones in yet.

OP
OP
tpva_22

tpva_22

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
This may be a stupid question... where did you add the poly-fill? In the cavity above the speakers in the sound bar? I have installed alpine speakers to replace the basic ones in my sport and it has been a HUGE improvement and I don't even have the knee ones in yet.
Yeah, I just stuffed it in the open spaces within the plastic cavity of dash and soundbar. You don't want to pack it too tight, but enough to fill in the open areas.

OP
OP
tpva_22

tpva_22

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Also, the knee speakers are a pain. You have to take apart the whole dashboard. Not worth it in my opinion, the upgrade of the other 6 speakers is enough and much easier.

bonniejf

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
Also, the knee speakers are a pain. You have to take apart the whole dashboard. Not worth it in my opinion, the upgrade of the other 6 speakers is enough and much easier.
I watched a youtube video and I think I'm going to give it a try. If not changing out the pods, it's much simpler even if you still have to take apart a good bit of the dash. But the other speakers made such a big difference, I want to change them all. Also, I really like to just tinker with the jeep and I don't have any other projects right now. 😁

tekkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Did you have to cut anything to get the 3.5 CS to fit? I purchased the KS and they won’t fit in there I think the magnet is too wide. And that was not even putting the wiring up there which clearly won’t fit. i didn’t realize you mentioned that part until now.

or maybe I will 3D print a spacer to get the speaker to sit flush it looks like the grill will still fit like that

Sponsored

OP
OP
tpva_22

tpva_22

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Did you have to cut anything to get the 3.5 CS to fit? I purchased the KS and they won’t fit in there I think the magnet is too wide. And that was not even putting the wiring up there which clearly won’t fit. i didn’t realize you mentioned that part until now.

or maybe I will 3D print a spacer to get the speaker to sit flush it looks like the grill will still fit like that
No cutting, plug and play - took like 10 mins each speaker. The CS 3.5 fit fine in the corner dash and soundbar, a little snug but they fit as the pictures show. I went with the 4" KS specifically because they came with a bracket made for the Wrangler JL overhead soundbar. The 4" CS does not come with a bracket so you would have to drill into the plastic. Therefore, go with the 4" KS instead.

Not a lot of bass but sound is crisp and louder. An amp and sub is needed if you want deep bass.

tekkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
No cutting, plug and play - took like 10 mins each speaker. The CS 3.5 fit fine in the corner dash and soundbar, a little snug but they fit as the pictures show. I went with the 4" KS specifically because they came with a bracket made for the Wrangler JL overhead soundbar. The 4" CS does not come with a bracket so you would have to drill into the plastic. Therefore, go with the 4" KS instead.

Not a lot of bass but sound is crisp and louder. An amp and sub is needed if you want deep bass.
Thanks, yeah the 4” were done in a couple of mins. I am going to try making a spacer and see how that goes.

tekkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
6mm spacers and the 3.5” fit perfectly and just enough room for the grills still

but for sure I need to install an amp they are way to quiet

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Nice. Yeah, I didn't want to go with the 6.5 inch since it involves cutting new holes and getting brackets.
Fyi, you can install 6.5” without cutting by using JLJT Pods. They work amazing and look stock. 6.5” is a massive upgrade over the 4” and 3.5”.

OP
OP
tpva_22

tpva_22

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Fyi, you can install 6.5” without cutting by using JLJT Pods. They work amazing and look stock. 6.5” is a massive upgrade over the 4” and 3.5”.
I don't see how that's possible, there are 2 holes for 3.5" and a 4" speaker. All videos show 6.5 require cutting out an area for the 6.5 brackets. Have pics of it being done without cutting?
Sponsored