First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
The issue is that you are installing a much higher quality speaker in an enclosure designed for a completely different speaker, I'm sure the higher frequencies are much louder and cleaner but as you have found you lost all of your lower frequencies.
Every speaker has different parameters and while I plan to install a complete system in my new JL I haven't had the chance to experiment with speakers yet but I would bet it's going to take a lot more that placing another speaker in the existing enclosure, possible getting rid of the port and sealing up the enclosure or removing the enclosure all together.
Yup, you are right. Here is pic of stock speakers etc. you can see what it would take to cut everything out. I actually think if I took my time I could gut it and mount 6.5” components

7E7816D0-E269-48DB-9A48-63C00D65DA4B.jpeg
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! Quick question on your install - did you have to put a resistor in line on the factory speaker lines to trick the radio into providing output? Or did the Fix-86 accommodate that? We haven't had a JL come through our shop with the basic audio system yet and I read on the Metra AX-DSP you need to create a load on the speaker lines to trick the radio into giving output.
The resistors are required. UConnect is shutting each channel down without them. Installed them right before the JL Fix86.

The full write-up can be found here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/adding-an-aftermarket-amp-s.6568/

Last edited:

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler MOAB and 2014 Wrangler 2-door Freedom Edition
Agreed..fantastic post! So I purchased the alpine 23wra upgrade because nobody around me could give me answers on an easier install for less than a couple grand. Here's my question. Additional Power via alpine amp is solid, new alpine tweeters and sub are a nice richer sound improvement and the power and sound quality of the existing knee speakers is good enough for a fairly critical ear. The roll bar speakers have and continue to be tinny with no real base and no clear highs. Is there any recommendation to now swap out the roll bar speakers to this setup that will improve that portion of the system? Thanks for any thoughts...

Oh...and if anyone is like me and wants a fairly easy 'plug and play option that does improve overall sound quality and power, you should NOT buy the alpine upgrade at current price (1200 or 1300???) The cost online seems to fluctuate up and down...I found mine via a new purchase from a reputable ebay audio company and sent them a 'best offer' that they accepted for several hundred dollars less than the 1200 offering. Probably still a bit pricey, but the easy plug and play to the non alpine radio made it pretty easy to put in...
It's hard to say because I haven't had a chance to try anything in the base models yet. The only speakers I have used and confirmed work well in the factory ported enclosures are the Morel Hybrid series and Virtus series, but they are very inefficient speakers. They need decent power (like minimum 50, ideally 70-100 watts RMS to perform). As Steve noted, the enclosure makes a difference and although the quality of the stock speakers are pretty poor, they're designed to give you the best output it can in that specific size enclosure.

The JL Audio C2 speakers are decent speakers, but not as efficient as the the JL Audio C1 speakers. The C1's play louder than the C2's if you're just doing an A/B comparison with the same volume level on the radio. Perhaps that's an option. If you want to try Morel, their entry level Maximo Ultra series is a very popular option at our shop, but again I have not personally tried them in the JL so not sure how they'd perform.

In my shop, in general, in any stock sound system, if I have a client looking to upgrade the speakers and they have a base model sound system, I recommend something extremely efficient like the Morel Maximo series or the JBL Club series and adding an amp/sub to round it all out. The JBL club series are not exactly what I'd want in my own car, but for someone looking to upgrade their dank stock speakers on a budget, the JBL Club series are designed to and do perform on the limited stock radio output or small amplifier (like 30-50 watts RMS). They use a slightly lower resistance than standard car speakers (3 ohm vs 4 ohm) so that's part of why they are more efficient.

We do this brand speaker upgrade in a lot of base model Subaru's and Honda's along with a bit of sound dampening and some type of amp/sub and for most it's a night and day difference. However, I have no idea how it would sound in the Jeep JL, haven't had a chance to try either Morel Maximo or JBL Club in it yet.

jonsavino

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I am doing alpine type r 5.25” components in knee panels and soundbar. Powered by alpine amp and running a jl 10w6 with dedicated amp. Should be installed by saturday. Will keep everyone posted

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Hey everyone, I'm new, but joined just to chime in and try and help a bit. My husband and I own and run a car audio shop and we both own Jeeps and do a ton of full system stereo upgrades in them. We've already done a couple systems in the JLU style and just picked up one for ourselves in December so I just wrote a real in depth blog post about the audio upgrade options. I'll try and condense it here with the tips we've learned so far and what's currently on the market for parts.

• 4" Components - not a lot on the market, but Morel Hybrid 402 and Virtus 402 fit perfectly and sound fantastic, highly recommend.
  • Audison AP4 and AP1 tweeter also an option (but Morel better quality for the money)
  • We have done the 6.5" modification too - pretty tedious, but do-able (we only did it for the fronts since more options available for 4" coaxial)
  • Premium Alpine models can use easy PAC Audio pre-amp adapter to get a 5 volt front, rear and sub RCA pre-out from stock head unit for upgrading full system and bypassing OEM amp (AP4-CH41)
  • Non premium models can use Metra AX-DSP and AX-DSP-CH5 harness to easily add a 5 channel amp to stock system, includes app with 31 band EQ.
  • JL Audio has stealth box available for either passenger or driver side 10" TW1, same sub they offered for previous style.
  • They also have a handy under seat amp rack and fancy fuse holder (expensive, but nice)
  • We use the Alpine 5-channel PDXV9 for most of our Wrangler installs, we each have one in our car - tons output, compact and great sound (100 watts x 4 plus 500 x 1)
  • Alpine PSS23WRA total waste of money. I'm an Alpine dealer. The PWE-S8, Type R tweeters and KTP-445U amp retail on their own for $540. So you're paying $760 for easy plug and play connectors and brackets. Better off putting that money towards better equipment or paying a pro to do it if cutting/splicing, making tweeter bracket adapters too cumbersome.
  • Currently no dash kit, but iDatalink Maestro RR and CH3 harness compatible - doesn't retain climate display or camera yet.
  • Very shallow depth in dash and vents in way, I think Pioneer's DMH-C2550NEX and DMH-C5500NEX will be good head unit options because the screen is separate from the guts of the radio specifically for cars like these and it's Maestro compatible
I hope that helps someone out there. Cheers!
Excellent post! Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I did read your detailed blog post, and it was excellent as well. I have a few questions. I've gone back and forth about a gazillion times about what I want to do. I thought I had my mind made up, until I had a chance to listen to a morel setup (in a non-Jeep SUV) at Jeep Beach, and that made me question my decisions. Now your post about the 4" morels sends me back to square 1. :)

My latest decision was to modify the knee panel enclosures to take the Audiofrog GS60s, and put GS25s in the dash, just a pair of GS40s in the sound bar for filler. I've also gone back and forth on something like the HAT L3/4SE, or Unity U3s (for cost). I've read some recent news about dust caps falling off on the HATs. I've run Unities in previous builds and loved them, but this concerns me, so I think I'm sold on moving on from HAT. The Morels look like very nice wideband speakers like the HATs too, which is a bonus for something this size. Are the Hybrids that much better than the Virtus in this poor accoustic environment that we have?

So, my first question - Have you heard the Audiofrog stuff? It's a good $200 cheaper than the Morel Hybrids, so I think it might be worth investigating at least (though the setup I heard with Morel Tempos was /really/ good). The biggest advantage to the Morels is not having to chop up the knee panel enclosures.

My second question is around the PAC pre-amp adapter. It has been my understanding that the alpine amp in the Jeep controls things like which speakers receive the phone call and navigation audio. If you use the PAC adapter and bypass the factory amp, do those things go to all of the speakers? Or, am I wrong about this, and the headunit is controlling this?

The PDXV9 looks like the perfect amp to run this system (passively anyway), except that I worry about water. We run our Jeep without top and doors as often as possible, and have been known to get more than a little wet. I've even removed the carpet, and raptor lined the entire interior, and enjoy hosing it out when it gets dirty.

Finally, in reading all of your responses here, it sounds like you haven't had to use resistors to trick the 8.4" uConnect headunit into seeing a load to turn on specific channels in all of your installs with the premium alpine system. Did I interpret that correctly?

Thanks again for your time, and expertise here!

Sponsored

Scott_S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
The PDXV9 looks like the perfect amp to run this system (passively anyway), except that I worry about water. We run our Jeep without top and doors as often as possible, and have been known to get more than a little wet. I've even removed the carpet, and raptor lined the entire interior, and enjoy hosing it out when it gets dirty.

Finally, in reading all of your responses here, it sounds like you haven't had to use resistors to trick the 8.4" uConnect headunit into seeing a load to turn on specific channels in all of your installs with the premium alpine system. Did I interpret that correctly?
On your first point -- I had the same concern. Although I don't have experience with them, Alpine does have a couple of weather-resistant amps in their power pack series. The KTA-30FW provides 4 channels @75W(4 ohms), and for the sub, the KTA-30MW provides 300W (2 ohms). Both are IP66-rated (spraying, spashing, water jets OK, but not protected for total immersion), and both are rather compact, at 7 inches by just under 4 inches, so there ought to be some flexibility in placement/mounting options.

Also, in terms of the resistor trick, it sounds like JL-Audio has their own solution to the problem -- if you're using the FIX-86, the Fix-LSA-4 placed on the input side of the FiX-86 sounds like it does the same thing as manually adding the resistors -- but, like above, I haven't seen this in use, I've only read about it.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
On your first point -- I had the same concern. Although I don't have experience with them, Alpine does have a couple of weather-resistant amps in their power pack series. The KTA-30FW provides 4 channels @75W(4 ohms), and for the sub, the KTA-30MW provides 300W (2 ohms). Both are IP66-rated (spraying, spashing, water jets OK, but not protected for total immersion), and both are rather compact, at 7 inches by just under 4 inches, so there ought to be some flexibility in placement/mounting options.

Also, in terms of the resistor trick, it sounds like JL-Audio has their own solution to the problem -- if you're using the FIX-86, the Fix-LSA-4 placed on the input side of the FiX-86 sounds like it does the same thing as manually adding the resistors -- but, like above, I haven't seen this in use, I've only read about it.
Unless they've updated it, the LSA-4 doesn't work with UConnect in our Jeeps. If anyone's had luck getting it to work, feel free to share.

Scott_S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Unless they've updated it, the LSA-4 doesn't work with UConnect in our Jeeps. If anyone's had luck getting it to work, feel free to share.
That's good to know. I was only guessing it might work based on the description online.

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
Bumping this to the top because I'm as interested her response to some of these questions too :) As a former HAT guy, I loved my widebander L3SE's in the dash, and I *think* they can work in the JL. Also to the point about the resistor trick, I'd be curious what she's had to do at the shop on premium alpine stock setups while using the CH4 adapter

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Bumping this to the top because I'm as interested her response to some of these questions too :) As a former HAT guy, I loved my widebander L3SE's in the dash, and I *think* they can work in the JL. Also to the point about the resistor trick, I'd be curious what she's had to do at the shop on premium alpine stock setups while using the CH4 adapter
The L3SE's could work with some custom fabrication, though just remember the kick panel speakers are angled downward slightly. You would probably want to seal the enclosures, removing the ports for the stock speakers. I'd be very interested in your results if you do it. Our Jeeps are screaming for good mid-bass.

Sponsored

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
The L3SE's could work with some custom fabrication, though just remember the kick panel speakers are angled downward slightly. You would probably want to seal the enclosures, removing the ports for the stock speakers. I'd be very interested in your results if you do it. Our Jeeps are screaming for good mid-bass.
Yea, the tricky part are the knee panels. My last midbass speaker matching/sound imaging exercise was with a pair of ml182s in the door and molding that midbass with the sundown in the rear. I'm really fighting the urge to have someone just modify the 2 knee enclosures to fit a 6.5. I know others have done it. What i want to hear though for myself is someone amping a quality 4" and eqing for midbass freqs only at the knee.

So yea, still undecided lol

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excellent post! Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I did read your detailed blog post, and it was excellent as well. I have a few questions. I've gone back and forth about a gazillion times about what I want to do. I thought I had my mind made up, until I had a chance to listen to a morel setup (in a non-Jeep SUV) at Jeep Beach, and that made me question my decisions. Now your post about the 4" morels sends me back to square 1. :)

My latest decision was to modify the knee panel enclosures to take the Audiofrog GS60s, and put GS25s in the dash, just a pair of GS40s in the sound bar for filler. I've also gone back and forth on something like the HAT L3/4SE, or Unity U3s (for cost). I've read some recent news about dust caps falling off on the HATs. I've run Unities in previous builds and loved them, but this concerns me, so I think I'm sold on moving on from HAT. The Morels look like very nice wideband speakers like the HATs too, which is a bonus for something this size. Are the Hybrids that much better than the Virtus in this poor accoustic environment that we have?

So, my first question - Have you heard the Audiofrog stuff? It's a good $200 cheaper than the Morel Hybrids, so I think it might be worth investigating at least (though the setup I heard with Morel Tempos was /really/ good). The biggest advantage to the Morels is not having to chop up the knee panel enclosures.

My second question is around the PAC pre-amp adapter. It has been my understanding that the alpine amp in the Jeep controls things like which speakers receive the phone call and navigation audio. If you use the PAC adapter and bypass the factory amp, do those things go to all of the speakers? Or, am I wrong about this, and the headunit is controlling this?

Thanks again for your time, and expertise here!
Yes - I've had both. The Hybrid's have better mid range response, well worth it.

Haven't heard of or tried Audiofrog stuff, I'm sorry can't really chime in on those. I can say about Morel, whether it's Maximo Ultra, Tempo, Virtus or Hybrid, all of my customer's are impressed and the Maximo's outsell all other entry level speakers I have from JL Audio, Focal, JBL, Alpine, Audison and Hertz. We have a small showroom/auditioning board where speakers can easily be selected and compared.

PAC pre-amp integrates everything perfectly. Warning chimes, Bluetooth calls, navigation prompts. It interrupts all that signal while it's still digital and routes it properly (just like factory) to your aftermarket amp.

Even if you go with Marine grade, I would be hesitant to hose anything down. May want to go with something smaller, more compact that can fit up under the dash like a JL Audio MX series amp (ATV/Off road use).

If you have the premium amp and can use the Pac AP4-CH41, you don't need resistors. If you have the non amplified and you're adding the FIx-86 and Twk-88, sounds like you need resistors - somewhere on here someone did a full write up on that install and I think they even linked to it in this thread because I had asked about it. I hope that helps and I edited this post because I totally don't know WTF I'm doing with quotes in replies.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, the tricky part are the knee panels. My last midbass speaker matching/sound imaging exercise was with a pair of ml182s in the door and molding that midbass with the sundown in the rear. I'm really fighting the urge to have someone just modify the 2 knee enclosures to fit a 6.5. I know others have done it. What i want to hear though for myself is someone amping a quality 4" and eqing for midbass freqs only at the knee.

So yea, still undecided lol
All you have to do is read the specs on the 4's. Even the high-end 4's have significant mid-bass limitations. 5.25's get closer, but as you know 6.5's are about as close as we can get. The enclosures can be modified to accommodate 6.5's, but you'll pretty much have to chop the entire top off of the enclosure, seal it and fabricate a fiberglass (or similar) custom mount. Sure do wish there were room in the doors, but...

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All you have to do is read the specs on the 4's. Even the high-end 4's have significant mid-bass limitations. 5.25's get closer, but as you know 6.5's are about as close as we can get. The enclosures can be modified to accommodate 6.5's, but you'll pretty much have to chop the entire top off of the enclosure, seal it and fabricate a fiberglass (or similar) custom mount. Sure do wish there were room in the doors, but...
I'm telling y'all it's not necessary with the right equipment. I will post on Monday RTA results with pink noise in our green machine with the Morel Hybrids ;) we can compare it to the RTA curve I posted earlier from the Hellcat which had the 6.5" 3-ways and a 12" sub. Hubby says mid bass response is a product of having the right crossover point of your subwoofer, having it time aligned (or phase corrected) and also having the right high pass filter on the 4". He says phasing/time correction is one of the most important aspects which is why a DSP is so necessary. Without it, it can sound like the woofer is far away in the trunk somewhere disconnected. Once the two wavelengths are connected and aligned between the woofer and whatever size mid bass driver you have (4", 5.25" or 6.5") you will not be able to tell where the woofer is coming from.

JeeJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Hey everyone, I'm new, but joined just to chime in and try and help a bit. My husband and I own and run a car audio shop and we both own Jeeps and do a ton of full system stereo upgrades in them. We've already done a couple systems in the JLU style and just picked up one for ourselves in December so I just wrote a real in depth blog post about the audio upgrade options. I'll try and condense it here with the tips we've learned so far and what's currently on the market for parts.

• 4" Components - not a lot on the market, but Morel Hybrid 402 and Virtus 402 fit perfectly and sound fantastic, highly recommend.
  • Audison AP4 and AP1 tweeter also an option (but Morel better quality for the money)
  • We have done the 6.5" modification too - pretty tedious, but do-able (we only did it for the fronts since more options available for 4" coaxial)
  • Premium Alpine models can use easy PAC Audio pre-amp adapter to get a 5 volt front, rear and sub RCA pre-out from stock head unit for upgrading full system and bypassing OEM amp (AP4-CH41)
  • Non premium models can use Metra AX-DSP and AX-DSP-CH5 harness to easily add a 5 channel amp to stock system, includes app with 31 band EQ.
  • JL Audio has stealth box available for either passenger or driver side 10" TW1, same sub they offered for previous style.
  • They also have a handy under seat amp rack and fancy fuse holder (expensive, but nice)
  • We use the Alpine 5-channel PDXV9 for most of our Wrangler installs, we each have one in our car - tons output, compact and great sound (100 watts x 4 plus 500 x 1)
  • Alpine PSS23WRA total waste of money. I'm an Alpine dealer. The PWE-S8, Type R tweeters and KTP-445U amp retail on their own for $540. So you're paying $760 for easy plug and play connectors and brackets. Better off putting that money towards better equipment or paying a pro to do it if cutting/splicing, making tweeter bracket adapters too cumbersome.
  • Currently no dash kit, but iDatalink Maestro RR and CH3 harness compatible - doesn't retain climate display or camera yet.
  • Very shallow depth in dash and vents in way, I think Pioneer's DMH-C2550NEX and DMH-C5500NEX will be good head unit options because the screen is separate from the guts of the radio specifically for cars like these and it's Maestro compatible
I hope that helps someone out there. Cheers!
Hi! I have a JL with 7” Uconnect. Tried to have Focal ICU100 speakers put in without an amp/additional modifications however when they were connected, no sound came out.

Do you have any recommendation on how to get them to work? I would want them to work but if I have to add an amp and line output converter it may not be worth it for such a seemingly minor upgrade. Are there any plug and play options? And if not, what are the complete requirements for your recommended setup above?

PS: I have two JBL Basspro SL8s under each of the front seats and they add a nice amount of fullness to the sound, however the stock speakers are awful. I would be happy with a slight improvement if it means not having to add any more equipment.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored