First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Occupation
Director of Operations
So these Kicker 44KSC404 are for the speakers by the knee and in the sound bar?

I replaced the factory which were not alpine with all kicker speakers

I had to remove the side pieces on the dash for the knee speakers, but were easy to do. I did add an amplifier to the speakers as well, see below:
Speakers:
Kicker DSC 350 x 2-dash and above the head
Kicker 44KSC404 x 2 - knee and above the head
Kicker 11H58 x 2 -150watt powered 8" subwoofers
Kicker DXA500.1 ( 43DXA5001) amp
Sponsored

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I guess they fit by I wonder at the wisdom of adding another set of two way drivers (with tweeters) in speaker locations that originally came with a single 4 inch driver. Thats too many tweeters!

I am waiting for JL audio or someone to release a amplified kit with direct replacement speakers and amplifier for cars without the Alpine system. Something like this but for Wrangler...

https://oemaudioplus.com/toyota/tcd1600/

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
So these Kicker 44KSC404 are for the speakers by the knee and in the sound bar?
Man I got my kicker speakers for the knee area, but cannot for the life figure out how to get them out of the dash :(

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Did you get them in? Any tips? Getting ready to do mine this weekend.
Nope! It looks like not only time intensive, but you basically have to take almost all the dash out to get to it. It's not like the JK's in that regard. The 'knee' speakers essentially act as a weak subwoofer in comparison to the regular speaker of the dash and soundbar.

Sponsored

Brooklynjlu2018

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sahara
I recently added the alpine pss-23wra and all of the reat of my factory speakers seem angry now pop at anything over 21 on the volume knob as well as the alpine tweets that came in the kit has anybody upgraded their speakers with this setup and what dis you use

TheCavalry_JLU

First Name
Felipe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I replaced the factory which were not alpine with all kicker speakers

I had to remove the side pieces on the dash for the knee speakers, but were easy to do. I did add an amplifier to the speakers as well, see below:
Speakers:
Kicker DSC 350 x 2-dash and above the head
Kicker 44KSC404 x 2 - knee and above the head
Kicker 11H58 x 2 -150watt powered 8" subwoofers
Kicker DXA500.1 ( 43DXA5001) amp
Did you have to wire speakers differently or did you connect them with the same wire from the factory speakers?

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I’m having my local radio shop fab me some 6 1/2 components for dash and sound bar this Friday. It will totally be worth it
I would like to see this as well. I have a couple 6 1/2 JL Audio components I would love to be able to use.

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler MOAB and 2014 Wrangler 2-door Freedom Edition
Hey everyone, I'm new, but joined just to chime in and try and help a bit. My husband and I own and run a car audio shop and we both own Jeeps and do a ton of full system stereo upgrades in them. We've already done a couple systems in the JLU style and just picked up one for ourselves in December so I just wrote a real in depth blog post about the audio upgrade options. I'll try and condense it here with the tips we've learned so far and what's currently on the market for parts.

• 4" Components - not a lot on the market, but Morel Hybrid 402 and Virtus 402 fit perfectly and sound fantastic, highly recommend.
  • Audison AP4 and AP1 tweeter also an option (but Morel better quality for the money)
  • We have done the 6.5" modification too - pretty tedious, but do-able (we only did it for the fronts since more options available for 4" coaxial)
  • Premium Alpine models can use easy PAC Audio pre-amp adapter to get a 5 volt front, rear and sub RCA pre-out from stock head unit for upgrading full system and bypassing OEM amp (AP4-CH41)
  • Non premium models can use Metra AX-DSP and AX-DSP-CH5 harness to easily add a 5 channel amp to stock system, includes app with 31 band EQ.
  • JL Audio has stealth box available for either passenger or driver side 10" TW1, same sub they offered for previous style.
  • They also have a handy under seat amp rack and fancy fuse holder (expensive, but nice)
  • We use the Alpine 5-channel PDXV9 for most of our Wrangler installs, we each have one in our car - tons output, compact and great sound (100 watts x 4 plus 500 x 1)
  • Alpine PSS23WRA total waste of money. I'm an Alpine dealer. The PWE-S8, Type R tweeters and KTP-445U amp retail on their own for $540. So you're paying $760 for easy plug and play connectors and brackets. Better off putting that money towards better equipment or paying a pro to do it if cutting/splicing, making tweeter bracket adapters too cumbersome.
  • Currently no dash kit, but iDatalink Maestro RR and CH3 harness compatible - doesn't retain camera yet (edit 5/12 - they are working on this and said it's an LVDS camera - Low Voltage Differential Signaling - no ETA, also confirmed Maestro as is will retain climate display and access to vehicle settings).
  • Very shallow depth in dash and vents in way, I think Pioneer's DMH-C2550NEX and DMH-C5500NEX will be good head unit options because the screen is separate from the guts of the radio specifically for cars like these and it's Maestro compatible (edit 5/12- spoke to iDatalink the other day and they confirmed at the moment these really are the only two head units that will fit that are iDatalink Maestro compatible)
I hope that helps someone out there. Cheers!

Last edited:

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Contact Jerry at Showtime audio, I know he has already modified several of the pods. Tell him ed sent you, he did mine

20190317_111524.jpg

20190317_111527.jpg
Me likes that! Does that sit into factory sound bar enclosure?

rawgeezy33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP JL UNLIMITED
1F88E712-A9D6-42F0-8EB4-A8C153412073.jpeg
8A649B5B-945A-4671-B274-07DF551B4FBB.jpeg
don’t know if many people knew, but in the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL sport there are 8 speakers! They sound really bad from the factory so I replaced them all. 2- dash 3.5” top, 2 on bottom kick panels 4” and above the seats 2-3.5” and 2-4”, but now stereo sounds awesome. Replaced them with kicker speakers and added two 8” subs under seats. Self powered with amp.

D65DF18C-B070-4488-B826-9BC477FD7E1D.jpeg

85BB07F9-60A1-42B4-AE4F-62FC87228EF6.jpeg

Do you have any after photos of your install?

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
Fantastic post. I've read your years earlier blog posts from back in the day so glad to see you here!

Any thoughts on upgrading the sound bar for either better fill or midbass response?
Hey everyone, I'm new, but joined just to chime in and try and help a bit. My husband and I own and run a car audio shop and we both own Jeeps and do a ton of full system stereo upgrades in them. We've already done a couple systems in the JLU style and just picked up one for ourselves in December so I just wrote a real in depth blog post about the audio upgrade options. I'll try and condense it here with the tips we've learned so far and what's currently on the market for parts.

• 4" Components - not a lot on the market, but Morel Hybrid 402 and Virtus 402 fit perfectly and sound fantastic, highly recommend.
  • Audison AP4 and AP1 tweeter also an option (but Morel better quality for the money)
  • We have done the 6.5" modification too - pretty tedious, but do-able (we only did it for the fronts since more options available for 4" coaxial)
  • Premium Alpine models can use easy PAC Audio pre-amp adapter to get a 5 volt front, rear and sub RCA pre-out from stock head unit for upgrading full system and bypassing OEM amp (AP4-CH41)
  • Non premium models can use Metra AX-DSP and AX-DSP-CH5 harness to easily add a 5 channel amp to stock system, includes app with 31 band EQ.
  • JL Audio has stealth box available for either passenger or driver side 10" TW1, same sub they offered for previous style.
  • They also have a handy under seat amp rack and fancy fuse holder (expensive, but nice)
  • We use the Alpine 5-channel PDXV9 for most of our Wrangler installs, we each have one in our car - tons output, compact and great sound (100 watts x 4 plus 500 x 1)
  • Alpine PSS23WRA total waste of money. I'm an Alpine dealer. The PWE-S8, Type R tweeters and KTP-445U amp retail on their own for $540. So you're paying $760 for easy plug and play connectors and brackets. Better off putting that money towards better equipment or paying a pro to do it if cutting/splicing, making tweeter bracket adapters too cumbersome.
  • Currently no dash kit, but iDatalink Maestro RR and CH3 harness compatible - doesn't retain climate display or camera yet.
  • Very shallow depth in dash and vents in way, I think Pioneer's DMH-C2550NEX and DMH-C5500NEX will be good head unit options because the screen is separate from the guts of the radio specifically for cars like these and it's Maestro compatible
I hope that helps someone out there. Cheers!

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler MOAB and 2014 Wrangler 2-door Freedom Edition
Fantastic post. I've read your years earlier blog posts from back in the day so glad to see you here!

Any thoughts on upgrading the sound bar for either better fill or midbass response?
Thank you, glad I can help. Which stereo set up do you have? Just to clarify, you mean with them just being powered off the factory stereo?
Sponsored