Southeast fuel shortage...

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
you can’t charge an EV off a $4k battery bank. I can provide load calculations on thousands of solar projects if anyone cares
I'm not charging off the battery bank. The battery bank only serves to make the inverters think they're still on the grid. The inverters together with the panels create all my electrical power during the day.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
I'm not charging off the battery bank. The battery bank only serves to make the inverters think they're still on the grid. The inverters together with the panels create all my electrical power during the day.
im pretty familiar with how a hybrid grid tied battery backed solar system works when it “islands” in times of grid disconnection

weve installed roughly 45,000 residential solar systems and 1800 commercial systems in excess of 40kW

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
there is everything wrong about this comment, and hopefully the mods delete this misinformation. plant life is only a piece of the overall CO2 sink, and CO2 atmospheric levels have increased 50% in the last ~70 years. sorry this is not meant to hijack this thread, but that can't be left to fend for itself...

oh here we go with the political names. "straw man"
lol

since you want to go there about 1% of the earth's land surface has been made into pavement, roads, cities, etc. this lowers the plant life by 1%. coincidentally, CO2 has risen 1%. must just be a coincidence. it has to be car emissions only.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
there is everything wrong about this comment, and hopefully the mods delete this misinformation. plant life is only a piece of the overall CO2 sink, and CO2 atmospheric levels have increased 50% in the last ~70 years. sorry this is not meant to hijack this thread, but that can't be left to fend for itself...
i call BS. ppm in 1950 310, ppm now 419 ppm
that is a change from .031 % to .0419 %

i admit i was wrong. the % increase is not 1%, the % increase is .019 %

portraying a change from .031 % to .0419% as a 50% increase is a severe exaggeration, a use of math to hide real math. yes it's a 50% relative increase, but only a .019% absolute increase.

and CO2 "sinks" is a misrepresentation. yes sea water can abosorb CO2. but it only gets converted to O2 naturally via photosynthesis by plants, algae, bacteria.

again, if you want to take the side of the battery in landfill dumps pollution crowd and downplay the necessity of proper recycling, be my guest.

Sponsored

ITGuy

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
I know what you're saying, and I'm not arguing, but these pipelines are private business, not a government operation. Should the government be in charge of and therefore protecting a very well funded private industry and its operations? These corporations seem to cry bloody murder at any attempt at regulation, but when they have an issue they want all the government help they can get. Seems like they want it both ways. I guess we all do, too...
If it was from a foreign actor as has been spottily reported that kidnapped their data, I would think the government would have the same imperative to provide support as if a bunch of Saudis marched in and kidnapped the CEO’s son, we wouldn’t just say, well it was a private affair, they didn’t kidnap the mayor’s son…

Killing keystone XL looks pretty stupid now as well…. We might want a little redundancy..

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
it's only getting worse.... it's not an exaggeration- the CO2 atmospheric levels are 1.4x, or 40% (sorry the 50% was slightly off) than they were ~70 years ago (and that is far in either case from the 1% you threw out there randomly).. that is true math and that is how we use numbers to show the delta/change of something in science to get a sense of the importance of absolute changes.. and CO2 going to O2 has nothing to do with climate change - the CO2 sources and sinks determine CO2 atmospheric concentrations, and we emit faster that the oceans can usually absorb and convert to carbonates. the rate and %change are what matter in the climate change discussion.

obviously battery recycling is critical to sustainable use of the metals and no one was downplaying that. but stop throwing out bs info about 1% land and 1% CO2 emission increase to pretend CO2 concentrations are impacting climate and life.

i call BS. ppm in 1950 310, ppm now 419 ppm
that is a change from .031 % to .0419 %

i admit i was wrong. the % increase is not 1%, the % increase is .019 %

portraying a change from .031 % to .0419% as a 50% increase is a severe exaggeration, a use of math to hide real math. yes it's a 50% relative increase, but only a .019% absolute increase.

and CO2 "sinks" is a misrepresentation. yes sea water can abosorb CO2. but it only gets converted to O2 naturally via photosynthesis by plants, algae, bacteria.

again, if you want to take the side of the battery in landfill dumps pollution crowd and downplay the necessity of proper recycling, be my guest.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Yeah this expensive option makes no sense right?? Well when basement dwellers decide to play games with peoples lives, this is the situation we find ourselves in.

Literally had gassers staring with envy as I was filling up🤣

20210510_222724.jpg

20210510_222749.jpg
A picture of a diesel Jeep being filled with diesel, posted in the 3.0L diesel forum, turns into a thread about electric vehicles being awesome....why not :like:

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
it's only getting worse.... it's not an exaggeration- the CO2 atmospheric levels are 1.4x, or 40% (sorry the 50% was slightly off) than they were ~70 years ago (and that is far in either case from the 1% you threw out there randomly).. that is true math and that is how we use numbers to show the delta/change of something in science to get a sense of the importance of absolute changes.. and CO2 going to O2 has nothing to do with climate change - the CO2 sources and sinks determine CO2 atmospheric concentrations, and we emit faster that the oceans can usually absorb and convert to carbonates. the rate and %change are what matter in the climate change discussion.

obviously battery recycling is critical to sustainable use of the metals and no one was downplaying that. but stop throwing out bs info about 1% land and 1% CO2 emission increase to pretend CO2 concentrations are impacting climate and life.
again the delta absolute change is 109 ppm or .0109 %.
the relative change is 419/310 - 1 = 35.2%

35.2% is not the increase in total CO2 in the atmosphere, its the increase compared to itself. it's a relative change. it's a much larger number, and is useful for manipulating the opinions of the masses.

the real increase, the absolute change is .0109%, and that number is subject to error. measurement technologies have changed much since the 1950's. data points are being produced at a way higher rate than in the 1950's as well. in other words, the measurements have been taken in different ways over time.
this is not how a control is done in a truly accurate experiment, with a consistent data set.

there are many other problems with the data. one of the most profound is the climate/atmospheric scientists are not even taking into account the fact that the interstellar medium our solar system is traveling through changes density as we orbit our galaxy over a 250mil year cycle.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
While I have owned a fully electric vehicle for several years now, I am certainly NOT an advocate for them in a general sense. Limited range without a prolonged downtime in order to recharge being my biggest concern.

I use(d) my EV as a commuter vehicle in an urban environment and it does well for short hops/errands. My home solar energy system only made the acquisition of an EV an easier decision from a cost perspective, but the temperatures seen in Arizona desert summers will certainly affect both the longevity of the batteries and their performance . . . they do not like sitting at traffic lights in 115 degree temperatures. Overall EV range can vary quite a bit as temperatures change throughout the day and when you operate them, making the EVs computer algorithmic remaining range calculation vary. Basically, leave yourself some allowance for how far you can go before needing a charge.

Hot batteries WONT charge either . . . and rapid chargers induce quite a bit of heat. Just some of the lessons I've learned over the past few years . . .

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
If it was from a foreign actor as has been spottily reported that kidnapped their data, I would think the government would have the same imperative to provide support as if a bunch of Saudis marched in and kidnapped the CEO’s son, we wouldn’t just say, well it was a private affair, they didn’t kidnap the mayor’s son…

Killing keystone XL looks pretty stupid now as well…. We might want a little redundancy..
The basement dweller administration does not want any fossil fuels. Just wait until those morons shut it all down leaving our beloved Jeeps to sit alone until they are nothing left but a pile of rust and plastic. The worst is yet to come from this evil incompetent American crushing regime.

I do not care what side of the isle you are on, if you think this regime is good for the citizens of America, you are as delusional as they are.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
That was me during the Texas snow storm earlier this year!
20210219_174217.jpg
The electrical grid is their next target, so my inground oil, for my house, will work in my diesel, all I have to do, is piss in the tank, for def.
unless you have solar, what will you do when the grid is out?

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
The 99% recycling statistic is important, BUT the lead contamination over the last century of poorly regulated recycling has been well documented.
The 5% statistic is misleading, because fewer have reached end of life, as they last a long time. I also see how vehicle lithium batteries are repurposed for home/ business, other non- vehicle use.
Batteries that do not contain cobalt are being developed by Tesla and Panasonic as we speak. Our lead acid batteries , as demonstrated by many posters in this forum, have very short lifespans, 2 years. EV batteries, moving away from cobalt, and even lithium, are expected to reach a life span of 1 million miles.
A " electricity shortage" means no gas, as fuel pumps at gas stations are- you guessed it - run on electricity.
You can GENERATE ELECTRIC AT HOME. Advances in solar panels, hydro turbines, and wind powered generation makes this an ever more attractive option.
Don't be coming up in here with your "logic" and "facts"....ain't nobody got time for that! lol

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
So what about all the fuel that is in those extremely large holding tanks at the fuel depot’s where the tanker trucks fill up. Really odd to me. Can these tanks really empty out this quickly. Doesn’t make sense.
Sponsored