Sponsored

Southeast fuel shortage...

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
Can't wait for a nuclear powered Jeep!!

Although knowing FCA's service department record, there would be mini-Chernobyls all over the place.
actually the technology exists. it's based on a "stirling" engine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_radioisotope_generator

even nasa does not have access to the nuclear reactors; Dept of Energy places the reactors in space vehicles just prior to lift off.

so it will be a while before we have nuclear powered jeeps. but the technology exists

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Our government wants to spend trillions on infrastructure yet some basement people in a far off land can take down fuel service to the entire SE US for 5 million dollars. It appears our government needs to rethink its priorities...perhaps more focus on NATIONAL SECURITY and far less on social engineering.

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Our government wants to spend trillions on infrastructure yet some basement people in a far off land can take down fuel service to the entire SE US for 5 million dollars. It appears our government needs to rethink its priorities...perhaps more focus on NATIONAL SECURITY and far less on social engineering.
Isn't this a private company? I don't think most companies would want the government getting involved in their I.T. security.

At any rate, securing a company's I.T. infrastructure is one of the toughest things to do right now. As more things get transitioned to the cloud, this task will only get harder.

We should expect to see more of these types of breaches in the future. So many companies have little or no understanding of how to reduce these risks.

I said reduce and not eliminate for good reason.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I don't think the US is shy about national security.
Jeep Wrangler JL Southeast fuel shortage... 1620997663080

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Government can make controls, like PCI compliance, for power companies. Offline systems, backups, etc.
It is my understanding that an attempt was made some years ago to put some controls over some of these companies. It was argued that they are critical to the country's economy. That attempt was defeated.

How much government controls = too much regulation?

You tell me. I don't have the answer.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
That is the best explanation I have ever heard. LOL!!!

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Isn't this a private company? I don't think most companies would want the government getting involved in their I.T. security.

A private company does not have the resources to fight international hacker terrorists. Cyber warfare is real...an act of aggression against a sovereign entity. This is no different than an international terrorist bombing one of our pipelines.

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki

A private company does not have the resources to fight international hacker terrorists. Cyber warfare is real...an act of aggression against a sovereign entity. This is no different than an international terrorist bombing one of our pipelines.
Private companies do this everyday.
They backup their computers on a daily basis. They apply security patches to their applications on a regular basis. They train their users not to click on links in emails, etc.

If your systems get attacked by ransomware, you wipe them clean, reload all the software from scratch and restore from backups.

It is not as easy as it might sound, but lots of companies do it.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
It is a private company, but there's no reason the government couldn't offer resources to these kinds of companies or require specific controls and audits.
The biggest disaster would be government running these entities, which I have seen suggested...
I would be ok with the government building backup infrastructure for redundancy. I wouldn't expect it to run at the same speed, but it would maintain some connection until the private company gets up and running again. I'm a big fan of redundancy in all systems, and in this case I think its paramount to national security.
I will leave the conservative, small government, personal freedom advocates to answer this one. I am sure there are many on this forum.

Someone is sure to quote President Ronald Reagan.

One man's government assistance is another man's government regulation. I will stay out of this fight.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Has the price per gallon gone up as the supply began dwindling? Or did it stay the same?
Gov Kemp did a good job of keeping prices stable...basically made price gouging illegal.
It was hit or miss who had gas, but one place in town ALWAYS had it. Might help they were next door to the area petrol supplier. I did see some high prices in Florida this weekend.

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
A " electricity shortage" means no gas, as fuel pumps at gas stations are- you guessed it - run on electricity.
You can GENERATE ELECTRIC AT HOME. Advances in solar panels, hydro turbines, and wind powered generation makes this an ever more attractive option.
It's great you can fuel up AT HOME.

But we own Jeeps .

Jeeps are meant for exploring and to go places.

It's hard enough to plan for and find gas in good times ......you can carry a Gerry can of fuel for an emergency.

You can carry an empty 2 gallon can and siphon or otherwise walk to find a couple gallons of fuel and walk back to your vehicle.

AAA can deliver 5 gallons of gas. Not sure they can "deliver" a charge (though that will be coming).

Whatcha gonna do if you run out somewhere where a recharge station is miles and miles away?

Where ya gonna "fuel up" an EV jeep when you run out at Moab or on the Rubicon?

That's a might long orange extension cord.

For commuting to work? Maybe an ev works.

For any kind of real away-from-home traveling?

Not so much.

Not yet at least.

The same issues that faced gas cars decades ago are what EVs will face right now til the infrastructure is in place.

And the premise of being "greener" right now is all hooey.

From the lithium batteries to how the electric to charge them is actually produced is still not green.

Not yet at least.

It has to start somewhere just like the automobile replaced the horse and wagon.

But it won't be overnight.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Major changes have to start somewhere. Change is often slow and unsure.

I read an interview with Bill Gates some years ago. He quit school to start Microsoft. He was explaining about personal computers to his parents. His mother asked him, "Why would anyone want one of those?"

The first version of Windows came out in the 80's. It wasn't a decent product until 1995. Look where we are today.

I don't know if electronic vehicles are the future. However, I am willing to keep an open mind. The level of technological change in the last 20 years has been phenominal.
Sponsored