Fiddler of Parts

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I noticed today that some socal trails have opened back up again. Picked up my JL just a few weeks ago and everything near me has been closed since then. Will go for a quick run this weekend.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/cleveland/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5340229&width=full
Thanks for posting this. Cleveland national forest is (in my opinion) quick to close and slow to open roads. Because of the valley fire the OHV area may be closed for over a year. Time will tell.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What are some easy trails around San Diego. New JLUR coming in this week and need somewhere to take the wife. Have heard about some truck trails or roads up to fire lookouts but can’t remember where.

Anything around Julian?

KrisEdward

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport S
Not sure where ya located but lots of easy trails along the 15fwy north of San Diego. I normally take trails up with my daughter, so i scout solo ahead to find easier less rough trails.
Have done all these trails in October.
1. Bedford Road in Corona to the Main Divide to Irvine Lake gives ya pretty cool view of Orange County and Corona. Just a fire trail that got graded earlier this year. About 1.5hr of exploring.
2. East Blue Ridge Road in Wrightwood. 6 miles of easy scenic dirt following the ski slopes of Mountain High. Two 10 site campsites. We stayed one night before the latest fires. Probably gonna close once snow comes.
3. Cleghorn Road to Silverwood Lake. Can be pretty intimidating since the increase in elevation is pretty rapid. The fire road is really easy with tons of additional optional trails to test yourself.
4. Big Bear. Can never go wrong. Beautiful easy trails with cell phone reception all over.
That's all the trails that were open for me last month. Enjoy.

Sponsored

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I am all the way down in San Diego. 15/8 fwys.

OP
OP

attilars

First Name
Attila Szilagyi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, 997.2 S
Palomar truck trail is relatively close to Julian. Anza Borrego also isn't too far from there that has several easy trails.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are some easy trails around San Diego. New JLUR coming in this week and need somewhere to take the wife. Have heard about some truck trails or roads up to fire lookouts but can’t remember where.

Anything around Julian?
Welcome to the world of jeeps. I live about 25 miles southeast of Julian. Right down from Banner Grade, across from the Banner cafe is Oroflame canyon trail. Great easy trail. Julian is just outside of the Anza-borrego Desert State Park. The trails in there go from supper easy to moderate (more difficult is Pynon Mountain with the squeeze and heart attack hill). Currently most of the dirt roads in Cleveland National Forest are closed. (check the forest website for more information) Also if you want go east out I-8 for gem-mica trail and elliot mine, valley of the moon. I am going to do arrio del diablo and arrio Tapidio (mud caves) soon. More easy trails in the desert are lower coyote canyon and calcite mine (narrow with drop off on the side). Hope this helps.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the options. Silly newb question... how do I know which roads/trails are for vehicles on the Cleveland national forest site? Just ones that are OHV?

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the options. Silly newb question... how do I know which roads/trails are for vehicles on the Cleveland national forest site? Just ones that are OHV?
Not a silly question at all. All roads within the forest are (or normally are) open for street legal vehicles. OHV routes are in OHV areas (coral canyon OHV area is closed due to the valley fire) with the exception of a road that heads south from I-8 at the Pine Valley exit. This road is multi-use and is open for street legal vehicles and stickered OHV'S. You asked about roads to the lookouts. There are 2 roads (both are closed) to the them, Los Pinios, located near coral canyon ohv and Black Mountain, located north of Ramona. Lyons peak lookout road has, as long as I know, been locked off due to private property.

Sponsored

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)

Anything around Julian?
I believe the only fire lookout that remains in San Diego County is on Hot Springs Mountain, which is also the highest point in the county (6,535 ft.). Located on the Los Coyotes Indian reservation. Last time I was there, about 3 years ago, the day use fee was $10 to drive to the lookout or $30 for access to all of their trails.

Another easy mountain road to Toro Peak (8716 ft) highest point in the Santa Rosa mountains, is Forest Route 7S02, off HWY 74 in Riverside county, just before you start down the hill into Palm Springs. Awesome views from the top, may have been a fire lookout tower there once, now it is just cameras and cell towers. A little hiking required from the parking area, not far, but steep. Check before going this may be closed and possibly snow covered this time of year.

My favorite trails near Julian are Rodriguez Canyon, Oriflamme Canyon, and Chariot Canyon. About a 30 mile loop if all done together, trail access is about 300 ft west of the Banner Store. Don't be deterred by the substantial gate with the fake lock, there is a mix of private and BLM land behind the gate. Most of it is easy, part of Oriflamme coming up from the desert is a steep rocky shelf road, can have some washouts and large boulders in the road to navigate around. Lots of dead end end spur trails in Chariot Canyon to explore, as this was a very active mining area in the late 1800's thru the early 1900's. There are still a few active mines, be aware of private property.

Saw a few Jeeps getting ready to head down Grapevine Canyon last Friday, another easy trail that goes between Hwy S22 and Hwy 78, it is the dirt version of Hwy S2 (San Felipe Rd).

I am literally 5 minutes from Anza Borrego SP, lots of easy fun trails out this way also.
Attached is the BLM Eastern San Diego County map.

Attachments

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot about hot springs mountain. Looks like we have the potential for all of us to get together for a fun run.

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
Forgot about hot springs mountain. Looks like we have the potential for all of us to get together for a fun run.
Hot Springs Mountain, May 2017, back in my TJ days. Mine is the Red one, and is for sale, if any one wants a nice Jeep that DOES NOT have ESS!

Jeep Wrangler JL Some socal trails opening up again IMG-7110.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Some socal trails opening up again IMG-7119.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Some socal trails opening up again IMG-7128.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: