First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
What do people think of them?

Given that many of us our driving less due to COVID, trickle charging seems like it should be more common than prior to the pandemic.

While on my driveway I've got my 3.6L JLU on an electric trickle charger, which I think is important not only given how infrequently I've driven it lately, but because I also have a dash camera that I've configured to record motion while the vehicle is parked, sucking current.

Then I said to myself that when I do go out eventually, and potentially park somewhere without shore power for a duration, I better remember to turn off the camera when parked (it is configured to cut off at 12.3V--the highest setting I could select on my dashcam under the otherwise 12.7V full sitting charge) or supplement the camera's and natural idle battery's processes that reduce voltage over time with a solar charger. So I got one I put it on the front passenger's visor and snaked the wires through the driver's side hole normally used for manual transmissions I understand, rather than the grommet near the passenger's door....the latter just too hard to get wires through for me with a metal hanger snake without removing the front passengers wheel well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QRHDIPY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BTW: do people think a 3.6L could crank with a battery at 12.3V? I've got a 2018 (3.6L) that hasn't been flashed with the 2019 and later ability to cold crank with either batttery....so I wonder at what voltage the 3.6L doesn't even bother trying a crank at if the ESS/Aux voltage tests too low, and if this 12.3V threshold is high enough to attempt a crank, will it succeed.

Thanks.

P.S. I don't expect the solar charger to power the dash camera at .35A amps of draw and the solar panel at best at .28A. And no way am I paying the mega $ for one of those Lithium Iron in vehicle dash cam batteries.
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

There is a company in hat does a 70watt hood mounted battery tender panel. It’s around 350 bucks but the are pretty dope

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation