Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
During these trying times, we need to laugh. I wish I could help answer your question. So that being said I will now make Smart Ass comment.

Push the Open button !! :like:;) May my Post make my Fellow Jeepers smile today. I really hope you get your top moving freely Mario !! :like:

My Wife is from Michigan !! It's lovely there but Cold !!

Jeepers stay safe !!!

Panels off with Half-doors 3.jpg
Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I don't know how to get leverage from the outside... I can't be on both sides simultaneously.
You also need to be standing on the sills. No way you can do it from the ground if you're under 7', at least not until it's broken in a bit.

OP
OP
Swaggy P

Swaggy P

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
You also need to be standing on the sills. No way you can do it from the ground if you're under 7', at least not until it's broken in a bit.
I'll try that... I break things so easily, so i didn't want to fuck with it to much by myself...

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Worst case scenario, you’re in Michigan. Find a Jeeper local with a soft top. There’s plenty in this forum. Ask if you can meet on a Sunday morning in a parking lot somewhere. You park 25-30 feet away, windows closed, both have gloves and masks, agree no handshaking, say hello and talk from a distance. Unlatch you’re own top so no one even has to enter the others vehicle. Let the veteran give it a try. He’ll let you know if it’s normal.
I live in NYC, if you were close I’d be happy to help as long as we took safety precautions.

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Mine was pretty stiff for awhile too, but I just opened it from the drivers side and muscled it over by pushing on the bar from one side. After you've done it a few times you'll get your technique chops. Don't be afraid of it. It's stronger than you think. It's a much better system than the JK top. Once you get the sunrider open, it's super easy to peel it all the way back. The only thing to watch for is where you lay the side and back curtains when you take them off. The vinyl windows will dimple if you lay them down on uneven surfaces. I love mine, summer AND winter, and would not go to a hardtop for any reason. Best thing about a Jeep!
Also want to add: The owner's manual is pretty good and has a comprehensive explanation of how it works. I love the single fold release and especially, the latches that hold it in the open position, but I'd never have found them if I hadn't read the book. So much nicer than the JK and bungees/ropes etc.

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
If your soft top doesn't come down easily, there is something wrong with it. You should probably google "JL Soft Top Operation" and find out exactly how to use it. There are many videos on it...here is one;

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I break things very easily. I worry about things like this because I don't know my own strength.
Yeah, I hear ya. I dont know my own strength either, and I broke the top's frame when I was just opening it. Alright I admit, this is an old pic.
body.gif

Last edited:

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I hear ya. I dont know my own strength and I broke the top's frame when I was just opening it. Alright I admit, this is an old pic.
body.gif
I am laughing so hard right now I almost fell over. That is a riot !!! :CWL::LOL:

Last edited:

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
If your soft top doesn't come down easily, there is something wrong with it. You should probably google "JL Soft Top Operation" and find out exactly how to use it. There are many videos on it...here is one;
Interesting, thanks. I use the velcro straps to keep the rear seatbelts from flapping (wrap them around the bar—2 door).

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Geez I don't know...feels too flimsy to be muscling from one side, and this is supposed to be the premium version? What a turd...
I have put my soft top up and down a hundred times at least since the beginning of December 2019. There is some flex to pushing it over before you can drop it, but it has to have some give to ensure you can latch it closed.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Interesting, thanks. I use the velcro straps to keep the rear seatbelts from flapping (wrap them around the bar—2 door).
I bought extra straps for that. I have velcro around all 4 seat belts and I only use two straps to go around the whole top and around the back window bar. I don't bother with the factory velcro spots any more.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I know what you mean, OP, especially the first couple times you go into Sunrider - it can feel like you're gonna break something by pushing it down on just one side like that. Just gotta have faith and see it through. The other side will follow suit and go down even though you're just pushing from one side.
Sponsored