Soft top durability?

Want a Jeep

First Name
Rang-Ler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Can owners speak to durability of the new soft tops? Are they easy to clean? Do they look like they did when you first got the Jeep? Does it stain with mud and salt? Do they crease? (Please mention if your soft top is premium or not)
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
A bit early for this sort of question, as no one has had a soft top for more than a handful of months.

That said, the quality seems stellar to me. No regrets.

prw04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Billet Silver
Premium soft top here. Had it since early March. I don't really have a lot of faith that this top won't go through a lot changes and updates over the next few years. I am awaiting for a new back window, tailgate bar, tailgate bar clips both sides and left side side window clip on the tub. My back window flaps on both sides that clip to the tub both flap all the time. They do not stay attached. My left side window flaps because the clip on the tub does not snap in. The tail gate bar and clips do not snap in and are very loose and sloppy. I love the ease of the sunrider, how fast it folds all the way down and the slide tracks for the windows. But you can't ride with the back only out anymore which really sucks. I guess time will tell.....

OP
OP

Want a Jeep

First Name
Rang-Ler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Premium soft top here. Had it since early March. I don't really have a lot of faith that this top won't go through a lot changes and updates over the next few years. I am awaiting for a new back window, tailgate bar, tailgate bar clips both sides and left side side window clip on the tub. My back window flaps on both sides that clip to the tub both flap all the time. They do not stay attached. My left side window flaps because the clip on the tub does not snap in. The tail gate bar and clips do not snap in and are very loose and sloppy. I love the ease of the sunrider, how fast it folds all the way down and the slide tracks for the windows. But you can't ride with the back only out anymore which really sucks. I guess time will tell.....
This makes my decision between hard and soft top a lot easier. Thanks.

psw757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Lariat fx4
We have the body color hard top and opted for the std soft top with tinted windows. Quality seems really good and haven't experienced any of the issues mentioned above.

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Can owners speak to durability of the new soft tops? Are they easy to clean? Do they look like they did when you first got the Jeep? Does it stain with mud and salt? Do they crease? (Please mention if your soft top is premium or not)
More issues with new hard top than soft tops at least according to forum threads. I live in La so they get beaten up pretty bad by weather, I have always run the standard soft top and never had any issues. The JL top is much easier to remove and a lot of people enjoy the full Sunrider (doors off, windows out, top up).

If you don’t clean mud off it will stain, it is fabric so just like your cloth seats it will only stay looking good as long as you keep it up.

I have never treated any of my soft tops with anything just kept them clean with the rest of the Jeep.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yikes. That sucks. I have none of those issues on my 2dr. Top fits tighter than a duck’s ass...

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
This makes my decision between hard and soft top a lot easier. Thanks.
I wouldn't go by one dude's experience. This is the first time I've read something that bad. I haven't had any of those issues. And I don't even know what he means by "clips." My premium soft top is super solid so far, and I take it off/put it on with the weather patterns, so that's been pretty frequent this summer. Everything is fitting just like it did the first time, and nothing flaps when I'm driving.

You're not supposed to drive with just the back window out - it sucks in the jeep's emissions like a vacuum (if all other windows are closed).

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL

I have no issues with mine.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I wouldn't go by one dude's experience. This is the first time I've read something that bad. I haven't had any of those issues. And I don't even know what he means by "clips." My premium soft top is super solid so far, and I take it off/put it on with the weather patterns, so that's been pretty frequent this summer. Everything is fitting just like it did the first time, and nothing flaps when I'm driving.

You're not supposed to drive with just the back window out - it sucks in the jeep's emissions like a vacuum (if all other windows are closed).

I agree with this totally. You never base a decision on one person's opinion. Mine is awesome.

Sponsored

prw04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am in no way saying do not get the soft top. I have a love hate relationship with this top. But I am also not the only one who has the problems I am having. Search is your friend, especially in the section of warranties. A number of people have multiple different issues. Guy asked for opinions. I gave him mine. Yours may be different.

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Yikes. That sucks. I have none of those issues on my 2dr. Top fits tighter than a duck’s ass...
Hmmm...it's nice to hear that you've experienced no problems with your soft top but your comment really begs the question as I'm quite curious...and I'm sure there are others as well -- just how tight IS a duck's ass? :giggle:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm...it's nice to hear that you've experienced no problems with your soft top but your comment really begs the question as I'm quite curious...and I'm sure there are others as well -- just how tight IS a duck's ass? :giggle:
Tight enough that water doesn’t get in there causing them to sink. :cwl:

prw04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a good thread to read. Pics will help explain the problems. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/premium-softtop-rear-window-issue.10717/
Oh, those little flaps that hold the bottom of the back window. Yes, there’s a design flaw there for sure! One of mine pops out every time I drive on the highway.

The good news is no water gets in, even in torrential rain. I am worried about snow/slush getting kicked up into that space in winter, though. Time will tell.

I’m so used to that one flap being loose I forgot all about it. So, maybe my top is a little less tight than a duck’s arse. ;-) Even so, my windows are very tight/secure, and they go off and on with the weather. No leaks, it’s quiet, and simple to operate. No regrets.
Sponsored