First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Going from soft to hard is usually quite easy, and doesn’t take much time. Often, it’s just a wind blowing in the right direction. But, soft top to hard top seems more difficult. What are all the soft parts I have to remove to be able to put the hard top on? Do I have to take off the door bracket things? Yes, I am a virgin at this. But I need it hard, because cold (not hot) wetness is coming.
Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Hard Top doesn't provide any additional warmth compared to the soft, the only benefit I get is the rear wiper.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Weeding through the innuendo to answer your question: you’ll need to remove the door surrounds, the plastic tailgate bar retainers, and the soft top itself. You can leave the mounting brackets on the sports bar, but everything else gets removed.
Then just put on your hard top. Easy Peasy

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Going from soft to hard is usually quite easy, and doesn’t take much time. Often, it’s just a wind blowing in the right direction. But, soft top to hard top seems more difficult. What are all the soft parts I have to remove to be able to put the hard top on? Do I have to take off the door bracket things? Yes, I am a virgin at this. But I need it hard, because cold (not hot) wetness is coming.
You have to take everything off except the brackets on the roll bars (I take those off too but you don't have to).

OP
OP
TaxPhan

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I’m going hard top either way. Winters in Wisconsin can be brutal. I’m not risking the soft top when we hit -30 and sleet. I’m just wondering how much of the soft top to remove, to be able to put the hard top on. I have to fit my 130 pound pup in the back, so I can’t just lay back the soft top and cover it with the hard top (if that’s even possible).

@Rahneld I feel I trust you more than anyone! Even though we don’t agree on everything...

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I’m going hard top either way. Winters in Wisconsin can be brutal. I’m not risking the soft top when we hit -30 and sleet. I’m just wondering how much of the soft top to remove, to be able to put the hard top on. I have to fit my 130 pound pup in the back, so I can’t just lay back the soft top and cover it with the hard top (if that’s even possible).

@Rahneld I feel I trust you more than anyone! Even though we don’t agree on everything...
It's not all that serious (and I'm kind of a lazy wuss) - I haven't had my Jeep even a year yet and I've installed/removed the soft top at least a half dozen times. I've got my own routine down and can go softtop to hardtop in under 30 minutes easy.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Put my hard top back on yesterday, just in time for a nice 40* day. It is much nicer for the winter months i must say, plus i can finally lock it up for awhile. I never lock the doors when the soft top is on.

Took me about an hour for the swap, only the second time i did it. Pretty easy especially with an electric hoist.

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Dude, this is a family forum! And pretty sure they have pills for this.:giggle:

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Like ExitLeft stated; door surrounds, tail gate brackets and the soft top itself. The days of having the hard top fit over the soft top are no longer an option. I did it today. It took under an hour.

Sponsored

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
If you haven't previously had a hardtop you'll need to run the wire harness for the wiper and the window defroster. Plus the hose for the window washer.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Please consult a professional before making these decisions on your own. S2H can be linked sudden changes in the weather and studies have shown this can be corrected with constant warmer temperatures. While experiencing S2H symptoms may include but not limited to: drowsiness, slight depression, lack of adventures, loss of tan, presumed loss of machismo. To avoid long term injury, move to Arizona when S2H last longer than 6 months. Talk to your realtor today to see if avoiding S2H is right for you.

*happy couple drives off in topless Jeep*

OP
OP
TaxPhan

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Weeding through the innuendo to answer your question: you’ll need to remove the door surrounds, the plastic tailgate bar retainers, and the soft top itself. You can leave the mounting brackets on the sports bar, but everything else gets removed.
Then just put on your hard top. Easy Peasy
What innuendo?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
At least he's not wanting to go from hard to soft :)