Soft top to hard top...

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Well I can honestly say I've had Soft top only on a TJ and JK and I've had JK and JL with both. I have the luxury of storing my hardtop. So not a biggie but I have been in the same position as you and although I didn't have a premium top(JK) the soft top held up well through 5 winters. I of course would make sure any significant amount of snow did not sit on the top when it did snow, There were a few blizzards/nor'easters! Having said that the soft tops have their drawbacks. Back stowage etc.. But they are def equipped to take on our weather. I am in New England also so I know where your coming from! I Do have a hard top now along with the soft and I switch them out , but If I did not have the space and only one top I would def always go with the soft. Nothing beats Top down/doors off riding around at night or anytime! I like the two but soft is preference...if I had to choose.
Sponsored

OP
OP

smw89

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Well I can honestly say I've had Soft top only on a TJ and JK and I've had JK and JL with both. I have the luxury of storing my hardtop. So not a biggie but I have been in the same position as you and although I didn't have a premium top(JK) the soft top held up well through 5 winters. I of course would make sure any significant amount of snow did not sit on the top when it did snow, There were a few blizzards/nor'easters! Having said that the soft tops have their drawbacks. Back stowage etc.. But they are def equipped to take on our weather. I am in New England also so I know where your coming from! I Do have a hard top now along with the soft and I switch them out , but If I did not have the space and only one top I would def always go with the soft. Nothing beats Top down/doors off riding around at night or anytime! I like the two but soft is preference...if I had to choose.
Yeah I think if someone put a gun to my head I would choose the soft top too, I guess it's just a question of how much more "comfortable" the hard top makes the daily driving experience, if that makes sense. I'm upgrading from a 2dr to a 4dr because I need the extra space and better on-road manners so I'm just trying to direct my search properly.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I think the best of both worlds is if you get the 4 door u could opt for the power top... or the sunrider instead of the freedom tops.

Scott's Willy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Unlimited
Yeah I think if someone put a gun to my head I would choose the soft top too, I guess it's just a question of how much more "comfortable" the hard top makes the daily driving experience, if that makes sense. I'm upgrading from a 2dr to a 4dr because I need the extra space and better on-road manners so I'm just trying to direct my search properly.
I would think the biggest factor is how much do you drive around with your current soft top down or off and the enjoyment of that, because it likely ends up being a good deal less if you have a hard top (at least I know that would be the case for me). That is a big reason I chose a soft top the ease of switching between the two.

SilentBanshee424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S, 2004 Moto Guzzi 750
I have the hard top but bought a soft top (bestop trektop). I have space to store the hard top though. If I didn't and were ordering again, I would probably go soft top but first talk to my dealer about what it would cost to have the wiring installed for later. The soft top is just too much fun.

Also, the heaters in the JL are fantastic. Ran no top in the Florida winter nights (so like 35 degree nights driving 65mph and yeah, no snow... but still) and the heater kept me plenty warm. I'd imagine the soft top closed in the winter would be fine. I agree about the defrost and cleanliness of the soft top though. It's a tough choice and I think there is a correct logical decision and a correct emotional decision. The thing is, which do you prioritize.

TFL has a video where Tommy talks about his soft top experience in the winter. At this point they talk about the heater. And at 7 minutes they talk about the soft top.

To me, the soft top is a bit louder as well but not so much that I couldn't take it and I'm very sensitive to sound. I wouldn't do a 16hr road trip in a soft top but I could easily go 3-5hrs and have no issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP

smw89

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I figure being on the east coast the soft top will only see action for 4-5 months of the year max, and in that 4-5 months I usually only take it down for local drives...not a huuuge fan of the experience on the highway but I make exceptions for shorter trips. Most of the jeeps I'm interested in in my area are sold with hard tops so I'm thinking buying the sunrider for the front half of the top may be the best move. I would look for the sky one-touch but every Jeep that has it here is way out of my price range.

SilentBanshee424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S, 2004 Moto Guzzi 750
I figure being on the east coast the soft top will only see action for 4-5 months of the year max, and in that 4-5 months I usually only take it down for local drives...not a huuuge fan of the experience on the highway but I make exceptions for shorter trips. Most of the jeeps I'm interested in in my area are sold with hard tops so I'm thinking buying the sunrider for the front half of the top may be the best move. I would look for the sky one-touch but every Jeep that has it here is way out of my price range.
Everything I hear about the sunrider is fantastic! I'd definitely get that if you go with the hard top.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Anyone who has made the transition from soft top to hard top, or vice versa, any regrets? I have a soft top and love that I can take it down on a whim, but I also hate the increased road noise and the visibility issues that come with plastic windows (scratches, no defrost, etc.). I also live on the east coast and with winter approaching I'm wondering if it might be prudent to switch for that reason too. I live in an apartment with no garage so I can only keep one; storing either top would cost extra for a storage unit. Any thoughts on this decision?
I don't want to bust your bubble or anything, but if you want to add a hardtop and have the defroster, wiper and such to work like the factory top equipped Jeep, you are looking at $4000 or more to get it done. Well if you do all the work yourself it can be cheaper. You have to buy ($100) and install the Freedom Panel locked that secure them to the windshield header area. Then the cable to get power to the Wiper and Defroster is $350 or more if you have the cold weather package. Then if you cannot install the cable, places say that it will run $2000 to install the cable. The clock spring in the steering wheel has to be swapped out, the cable has to be run from the back to the front of the Jeep. You can add a hard top easily, and the locks are $100 and not to hard to install...

OP
OP

smw89

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't want to bust your bubble or anything, but if you want to add a hardtop and have the defroster, wiper and such to work like the factory top equipped Jeep, you are looking at $4000 or more to get it done. Well if you do all the work yourself it can be cheaper. You have to buy ($100) and install the Freedom Panel locked that secure them to the windshield header area. Then the cable to get power to the Wiper and Defroster is $350 or more if you have the cold weather package. Then if you cannot install the cable, places say that it will run $2000 to install the cable. The clock spring in the steering wheel has to be swapped out, the cable has to be run from the back to the front of the Jeep. You can add a hard top easily, and the locks are $100 and not to hard to install...
It wouldn’t be me doing it, I’m in the market for a new Jeep and trying to decide which way to go.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I bought a used hard top for camping and towing, but I much prefer the soft top for the Florida lifestyle.

FYI, it is illegal to store food in a soft top Jeep in the national parks and U-Haul won't rent a trailer on a soft-top vehicle. So I use my hardtop solely for those two purposes. Also, the hard top is super heavy and awkward to install/remove.

Sponsored

Willys4Me

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2023 JLR Willys Silver Zynith
Occupation
IT Security
I have both for my TJ and swap tops for the seasons. Plastic windows do require care. Mine were almost impossible to see out of until I did some research and found cleaners that almost made them like new! I did have to buy a kit and wire in the washer and wiper for the hardtop. It wasn't too bad, but it's a TJ which is likely easier to mess with than a JL. With all of that said, I've got a 2dr Willys with hardtop on order, and did it that way because it would provide all of the connections IF I end up with two tops again. Without a garage, I'd opt for the hardtop. Sunrider would be great, but I'll try just the Freedom panels for now. I'll likely get a soft top...but there's no hurry with the PA Winter on it's way.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Anyone who has made the transition from soft top to hard top, or vice versa, any regrets? I have a soft top and love that I can take it down on a whim, but I also hate the increased road noise and the visibility issues that come with plastic windows (scratches, no defrost, etc.). I also live on the east coast and with winter approaching I'm wondering if it might be prudent to switch for that reason too. I live in an apartment with no garage so I can only keep one; storing either top would cost extra for a storage unit. Any thoughts on this decision?
Your living situation makes that hard. I am here in the PNW, and if I had to choose I think I would go hard top. Does your apartment include a parking space?

OP
OP

smw89

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your living situation makes that hard. I am here in the PNW, and if I had to choose I think I would go hard top. Does your apartment include a parking space?
It’s a communal garage, no assigned parking

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

As others have pointed out it is cheaper to have a hard top from the factory rather than converting a soft top. If you find the right Jeep for you with a hard top and you are set on a soft top, I don't think you would have much trouble finding a barely used soft top on the market place, then sell your hard top. If you ever change your mind your Jeep has the hardware needed to go back to a hard top.

Is there enough spots in the garage? Could you get a spot assigned? If so a top lift pro could hold the hard top in your spot and I think give you room to park the nose of the jeep under the top?

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I always liked the soft top, however in Canada the Sahara always came with a dual top, except for the latter years of the JK.

When I was 2 door I rarely ever had the hard top on in the winter, because the rear was so close visibility wasn't much of and issue.

When I moved to 4 doors, hard top storage in a condo in building became a huge problem, and the swapping of the roofs etc.

I would guess winter visibility is a problem in the 4 door during winter.

Personally I just got fed up, and the 4 door soft top doesn't have the same appeal as the 2 door JK soft top.

So previously I would have the dual top, plus the sunrider for hardtop, which means in my last 2018 JLU I never even bothered swapping the tops.

My 2021 I decided to get the Sky One-Touch, I use this thing every single day, once it's not currently raining or snowing, I'll have it open.

So soft top+hard top+sunrider = comes pretty close to the price of the SOT, and the SOT is great in urban settings.

Also cold weather package is a must for me now.
Sponsored