Soft Shackles

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Who here uses soft shackles and what brand and size? Thinking of getting a Factor 55 standard duty one.

8AF59110-3EA3-41E3-B4F1-F8A61E313734.jpeg
Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I use the Gator Jaw soft shackles. Have pulled hard and no issues. Take care of them and keep them clean. Make sure the the connection points are smooth to not tear the fibers. Use the correct size/load. Any reputable brand will probably perform the same.

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
We have both the standard and extreme duty soft shackles (they came as part of a kit) from Factor 55 and the work excellent.
Last weekend there was a Jeep deeply stuck in the snow and after attempting to recover him with our winch via standard method of pulling him, we used a soft shackle along with the Factor 55 pulley and a tree saver, popped him right out.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
UV is the enemy of synthetic fibers. Keep them out of the sun.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
We have both the standard and extreme duty soft shackles (they came as part of a kit) from Factor 55 and the work excellent.
Last weekend there was a Jeep deeply stuck in the snow and after attempting to recover him with our winch via standard method of pulling him, we used a soft shackle along with the Factor 55 pulley and a tree saver, popped him right out.
"Double your pleasure, double your fun"

wheels082

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2010 JKU, 1994 XJ
Factor 55 makes good stuff. I also like the ones from Bubba Rope, Custom Splice, and TRE.

SouthTexasJLU

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have several, 2 F55 long ones and 5 or 6 of various brands. On big trips it always seems that a shackle goes missing, so when someone needs one I toss them everything but my F55 stuff lol.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I’m interested in buying a couple soft shackles but searching around there are a few different thicknesses. What is the common type to be used with a factor 55 thimble or other recovery points? What thickness and length are you guys using?

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I cut my winch line down to 50' from 100', I'm going to make a 25' extension and use what's left of the winch line to make a couple of my own soft shackles. There's some videos online that show you how to do it. Should take about 6 or 7 feet to make one.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I cut my winch line down to 50' from 100', I'm going to make a 25' extension and use what's left of the winch line to make a couple of my own soft shackles. There's some videos online that show you how to do it. Should take about 6 or 7 feet to make one.
Yeah I’ve seen those and would definitely do that if I break a line. I’d rather buy a couple then cut my current one though. But with that said, makes sense to stick with the 3/8 line as it’s the same size most winch lines are so it should fit most recovery points.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Yeah I’ve seen those and would definitely do that if I break a line. I’d rather buy a couple then cut my current one though. But with that said, makes sense to stick with the 3/8 line as it’s the same size most winch lines are so it should fit most recovery points.
I figured since I already had the extra might as well put it to use. I just needed to get my line shorter to make sure I'm getting the most pull out of my winch.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Anyone use the new "long" soft shackles that replace a tree strap? Seems to be just a longer soft shackle to go around the tree.

The benefit they claim is one less connection needed as this long soft-tree-shackle can then go right through your closed system hook. With a normal tree strap you need a shackle between it and the closed hook.

You can also use it as a normal soft shackle, just longer, or double loop it if needed. So if you carry two of those you can drop two short soft shackles and two tree straps and still have backup if one gets fubar'd.

I am always for less connection points and less shit to pack/forget before trips.

TRE makes them - so a decent brand.

https://www.tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/product-category/soft-shackles/tree-saver-soft-shackle/

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I’m on TREs site now. Are their soft shackles actually 3/4” thick? That’s amazing for the price point. I think I’m going to pick up a couple of those. Seems like a great deal.
Sponsored